Portable A/C in my 4x8 Flower Tent or Window A/C on the outside?

Pussologist

The window ones are way more efficient and reliable, but I'm not sure it will drop the temperature from 93F to the low 80s where I want it. I have my eye on a Frigidaire 5,000 BTU Portable A/C that had the lowest watt usage for around 375.00 on Amazon.
Anybody using Portable A/Cs?
What direction would you go in to lower my temp?
P.S. I already have a strong exhaust fan pulling the air through 2 600watt HPS with a 1000 watt HPS in the middle. Also equipped with 4 small fans in each corner along with a 12 inch oscillating fan. Ihave done three 600s before, but the temp was still in the mid 90s.

I am actually getting rid of my Honeywell portable 10,000 BTU unit. Just cannot come close to a 10,000 BTU window unit. With a portable unit you have an exhaust hose that spews hot air which has to be exhausted outside the tent and the room the tent is in. With the portable unit in the tent we have to realize that the exhaust hose will also be carrying the smell with the exhaust, not such a good thing. You can remedy that with another carbon filter at the end of the exhaust. I could never get my portable in the tent set just right to maintain a temperature. It was just a problem from the beginning. I ended up buying the same size window unit and just cooling the room that the tent is in. The window unit runs so much less, I set it at 72 and the room temp is 72, grow area is 83. I could bump the AC down to get temps around 80 but I am fine where it is.

I have a dimmable 1000 watt ballast in a 4x4 and with it running on 600 watts I am seeing about a 10 degree differential from room temperature. This is in a Blockbuster hood and a 400 CFM CanFan on high (actually see about the same differential with the 60% setting no matter whether I run the fan on 1 (low) or 3 (high)). When I switch the ballast to 100% I see about another 10 degree increase in temps. If you have a third 600 watt I would at least give it a shot. What are your room temps outside the tent? Is the 1000 watt air cooled? Any reason you wouldn't spend $35 more and get twice the BTUs with the Honeywell?

Thanks for informative reply, I'm definitely gonna go with a window A/C. Why didn't you go with a lower BTU A/C if its only a 4x4, I'm probably gonna go with a 5,000 or 6,000 BTU. My tent is in a two room 250 sq ft shed.

I went with a 10,000 BTU in order to have enough cooling to cool the 13'x15' room that the tent sits in. I could never get the unit to act right inside the tent. A 5,000 BTU unit is said to be recommended for 150 square feet. A 6,000 BTU unit is recommended for 260 square feet, but you also have quite a bit of heat generation coming from your lamps. I personally would go with at least an 8,000 BTU window unit for that space. If you refer to this chart which I stole from Home Depot's website, they recommend a 10,000 BTU for a kitchen. I imagine your appliances put off about as much heat as those kitchen appliances.

Untitled119.png

Back
Top Bottom