Heat sinks in windows for winter A/C?

Stinky1

420 Member
Hello.
I've been using a window A/C to cool a sealed bedroom. I live in a winter climate and decided to see if I could get away with running the window a/c through the winter months. I'd just crack the window but I want to remain as sealed as possible for humidity and co2. Even so, the ~75% humidity I maintain likes to condense on the colder parts of the walls and windows.

The fan in the A/C stopped working after a recent snowstorm. I think maybe the snow melted into and refroze in the gears and burned out the motor or something. Now it's just a hunk of metal in the window. The metal is cool to the touch and the room stays barely cool enough ~89F to not be an issue. But I will be turning on more lights and generating more BTU's in a few weeks so I'll need to get a new A/C or think of a solution.

I think the dead a/c is providing some passive heat exchange. It made me wonder whether a large heatsink placed in a window could act as a passive heatsink during the winter months. There would be a ~60 degree difference between the room and the outdoors. The cold air outside is putting pressure on the warm room, so I think something like an aluminum sheet with a bunch of aluminum test-tube-like pockets protruding into the bedroom would allow for there to be a lot of chilled surface area inside of the bedroom for warm air to condense on.

Does this sound like a concept that could work? I think it might help keep a room a few degrees cooler while still sealed and saving electricity. Would also give the humidity a place to condense and be collected instead of on the walls and sills.

Condensation in a grow room will cause problems. You need better insulation, and possibly more ventilation. Consider painting the room with an exterior, or kitchen/bathroom paint to protect your home. You do not want the mould and mildew to invade.

Back
Top Bottom