Portable A/C units anyone?

cyrystic

I am in the market for a Portable A/C for my room and have not had any luck using the search to find a well recomended unit on here so I figured I would put this out there and see if anyone had any recomendations... here are a few I was looking at ...

the one from hydrofarm is obviously good for what i need it for but its allmost 600 bucks , where as the home depot version has 1500 more btu's for about 150 bucks less /shrug idk what to do

Did you get this handled, we use this one, AP12000HS EdgeStar Portable Air Conditioner with Heater - 12,000 BTU Capacity

Still waiting on some funds , I really would like to go w the one from home depot being its way cheaper and seems to be a bit more powerful but I have no idea how to rate the units or what to go on other than the BTU's ( higher = cooler / more sq footage of coverage...

I guess what I need to know , or what i need is something I can set and forget without having to worry about it over heating or having to constantly check the evap or whatever /shrug i have no idea really just looking for some input... how long can you run these portable units ? can they be on 24/7 if need be ? I would like to keep my room as cool as possible

Not all AC are rated the same, HD usually gets the units that they can buy in bulk and sell for cheap, not that this is a bad thing, its just like saying a Kia has 200 HP and a BMW has 200 HP, Im going to guess that that BMW will perform better.

I leave mine on 24/7. I check the water everyday when I visit my girls.

the one from hydrofarm is obviously good for what i need it for but its allmost 600 bucks , where as the home depot version has 1500 more btu's for about 150 bucks less /shrug idk what to do

I think it must cost a manufacturer $150 to slap a term like hydroponics, cannabis, Hydrofarm, etc. onto a product. Or at least it seems that way.

They're both made in China.

We recently tried to set up one in my buddies grow room, and it didn't work out.

I could see using one if you have a CO2 system, but with my exhaust fan replacing the air inside the closet every minute, it didn't have time to get cool, plus the a/c puts out a TON of heat from it's exhaust, and I could not figure out how to filter it's exhaust through the carbon filter.

I'd put in a window unit... but it seems like you have to cool the air going INTO the grow space rather than the air already in the grow space if that makes any sense. A window unit would work better though, as it doesn't exhaust air from the grow space so you don't have to worry about smell.

I could see using one if you have a CO2 system, but with my exhaust fan replacing the air inside the closet every minute, it didn't have time to get cool, plus the a/c puts out a TON of heat from it's exhaust, and I could not figure out how to filter it's exhaust through the carbon filter.

You mean that they don't draw the air that they use to operate from the same area that they exhaust to? I'm assuming from the above that it uses air from the grow but then exhausts it out. That seems to be inefficient. They ought to make them with a double-hose type setup to cover both intake and exhaust, IMHO.

You mean that they don't draw the air that they use to operate from the same area that they exhaust to? I'm assuming from the above that it uses air from the grow but then exhausts it out. That seems to be inefficient. They ought to make them with a double-hose type setup to cover both intake and exhaust, IMHO.

On my buddy's, there was just one big exhaust coming out the back, and it blew HOT air... it had to come from the side intakes, and yes, that's certainly less efficient than re-circulating the cooled air which is why I'd prefer a window unit.

Still, even with a window unit, I don't see how you could properly vent the grow space and cool it too unless it's a fairly large room.

On my buddy's, there was just one big exhaust coming out the back, and it blew HOT air... it had to come from the side intakes, and yes, that's certainly less efficient than re-circulating the cooled air which is why I'd prefer a window unit.

Still, even with a window unit, I don't see how you could properly vent the grow space and cool it too unless it's a fairly large room.

Vent the lights instead of the space?

Not if that's where you keep the 20-odd small rodents for your pet snake, lol.

So vent the lights (separately, and constantly) and put the room ventilation on a timer so that it will refresh the room-air occasionally. Assuming that at that point the temperatures are such that you do not have to run it constantly.

IDK, there's always something, isn't there?

going to be getting a SPT WA-9040DE ( sunpentown ) dual hose portable unit , as far as circulating air , I am going to install a damper on the out take hose that runs from my lights to the attic so air only blows out and cannot seep back in , also piping the intake for the AC to the ceiling so its a continuous loop and pull fresh air in from my vent ... anyone tried this before ?

Back
Top Bottom