Portable AC unit

Savvage61

I need to move my tent out of my living room, the wife doesnt appreciate the fact you dont have to vacuum the floor for 16 sqft or you have to lean left to watch TV. so I promised it was going back in the sun room where I will battle high temps. I am looking to buy a portable AC unit 8000 btu I have all the exhaust and intake spots I need and it runs by a thermostat so If i set the temp at 80 f or 30/C it wont let it go higher. My question is does anyone use one now or have experience with it I need to make sure it will work bnefore I spend 300 -400 bucks, anyone ever try this? if so did it work?
Thx in advance

Hey mate :circle-of-love: that portable air con units will do the job :thumb: the only problem I would see is if it is in the tent extracting out there will be no carbon filtration on the exhaust and the smell will be extracted straight outside. But this all depends on where you live and your situation. I hope this is helpful much love growmie :green_heart: :passitleft:

I need to move my tent out of my living room, the wife doesnt appreciate the fact you dont have to vacuum the floor for 16 sqft or you have to lean left to watch TV. so I promised it was going back in the sun room where I will battle high temps. I am looking to buy a portable AC unit 8000 btu I have all the exhaust and intake spots I need and it runs by a thermostat so If i set the temp at 80 f or 30/C it wont let it go higher. My question is does anyone use one now or have experience with it I need to make sure it will work bnefore I spend 300 -400 bucks, anyone ever try this? if so did it work?
Thx in advance
I use them in my 4x8 tent sometimes & I also use one in my shed that has both AC & Heat. They work great. I like the fact I can set it on 68F the last 3-4 weeks of flower & bring out the colors in the plants & increase Trich production. I never had to use exhaust or intake air while running the AC.

Hey mate :circle-of-love: that portable air con units will do the job :thumb: the only problem I would see is if it is in the tent extracting out there will be no carbon filtration on the exhaust and the smell will be extracted straight outside. But this all depends on where you live and your situation. I hope this is helpful much love growmie :green_heart: :passitleft:
You'd be surprised. The smell is worse outside with the Carbon filter (it's brand new) than it is with the exhaust from the AC. You still have to be within 4 feet of the window to smell anything.

@budbunny 🥕 @Gandalfthewhite 🧙‍♂️ you guys have been a huge help Now I can tell the wife a wabbit and a wizard made me do it :rofl: Gandalf are you watching the prime video "Rings of power" ? I went a head and got a serenelife 8000 on sale for $275 Buds does the exhaust have to go outdoors? or can I just run it outside the tent?
again thx guys have a great weekend

@budbunny 🥕 @Gandalfthewhite 🧙‍♂️ you guys have been a huge help Now I can tell the wife a wabbit and a wizard made me do it :rofl: Gandalf are you watching the prime video "Rings of power" ? I went a head and got a serenelife 8000 on sale for $275 Buds does the exhaust have to go outdoors? or can I just run it outside the tent?
again thx guys have a great weekend
It really should exhaust outside. The exhaust is hot air which will heat up the room your tent is in if you don't.

I 2nd the exhaust hose insulation. I ran a portable AC/heater unit for several years in my flower room. Now I have wall mounted ACs. I wasn't satisfied with the performance until I put a insulated jacket the whole length of the hose from the unit to the building exhaust point. I used the floor instead of a window.
You also have a 3-4 degree variance between what the temp is set to and when it kicks on and off. If I don't want it to go over 80F, I set it to 77F.

Im going to need about 15 ft to reach a window, is there any issues if I drop down to 4 in insulated after the original duct that comes with the ac? I would have not thought about it thanks guys

being the tight wad I can be at times I didnt realize 6" is as or cheaper than 4 " Paid 38.95dollars for the 6 in I bought 25 ft exact same brand and modle except is was 4 in 45.95 so i gotr the 6"

I would think you would lose some efficiency, but it would be better than nothing. Maybe a HVAC person will chime in.
Portable AC's have 5" duct hoses. I had to order the 5" duct from A-Zon. Not much of a difference between the sizes, but I'd stick with the 5" for at least 6' of the length before reducing it to 4". Once you pass the 6' length the air will lose some pressure & the 4" should be fine the rest of the way. My dad & brother both had / have AC companies. The longer the distance the more you can reduce little by little to keep the same air pressure all the way to the end.

Portable AC's have 5" duct hoses. I had to order the 5" duct from A-Zon. Not much of a difference between the sizes, but I'd stick with the 5" for at least 6' of the length before reducing it to 4". Once you pass the 6' length the air will lose some pressure & the 4" should be fine the rest of the way. My dad & brother both had / have AC companies. The longer the distance the more you can reduce little by little to keep the same air pressure all the way to the end.
@Buds Buddy I went ahead and got the six inch ,will that five inch and the 6-in fit on a 6-in coupler is there any stretch in that 5-in hose or do I need a 5" to 6" coupler? its nice to know you have some HVAC contacts / Family. lol I got a week before my new AC gets here. I know I should wait and get what I need but that is way to easy I gotta go get the wrong sizes now so I can make a extra trip to Home depot

@Buds Buddy I went ahead and got the six inch ,will that five inch and the 6-in fit on a 6-in coupler is there any stretch in that 5-in hose or do I need a 5" to 6" coupler? its nice to know you have some HVAC contacts / Family. lol I got a week before my new AC gets here. I know I should wait and get what I need but that is way to easy I gotta go get the wrong sizes now so I can make a extra trip to Home depot
The hose that comes with the AC is kind of flexible hard plastic. A sheet Metal Reducer wont even go in it. I tried that. So I just ordered the 5" Flex Duct from A-Zon & ran that the entire length. Didn't even use the hose that came with the AC.

@Buds Buddy I was looking at it and I can get enough of the ac duct for the same as insulated flex . I have about 12 feet to the window is that to far to extend it? if so what If I added a inline fan at the end ? now with the ac hose am I going to have to wrap it or is it insulated? my only alternative is to move the tent mid scrog grow. it was suppose to be easy add the ac plug in and forget NOT IN MY CARDS
Thx Buds

* the ac duct interlocs without couplers right?*

@Buds Buddy I was looking at it and I can get enough of the ac duct for the same as insulated flex . I have about 12 feet to the window is that to far to extend it? if so what If I added a inline fan at the end ? now with the ac hose am I going to have to wrap it or is it insulated? my only alternative is to move the tent mid scrog grow. it was suppose to be easy add the ac plug in and forget NOT IN MY CARDS
Thx Buds

* the ac duct interlocs without couplers right?*
I'll take a couple pics to post. Back in a few.

Here's what I did. The white coupler just twists on the back of the AC Unit.
DSCF1029.JPG
DSCF1030.JPG

@Buds Buddy @gwhunran @bigjake @Mustang92 @Gandalfthewhite

I want to thank all of you for help, you guys helped me make a big decision and with your help I got exactly what I needed and set it up the right way could not have done it with out your input

Thank you Very much
Savvage61

Back
Top Bottom