Golden Tiger - In Hydro By Gwhunran 2023

GT ACE x3 (2).JPG

Seed pack by ACE, ordered through Seedsman. Feminized, photoperiod, version II

Golden Tiger, feminized photoperiod, version two, by Ace

ACE's write up.
In Golden Tiger we have combined different extremely potent and resinous sativas from Malawi and Thailand.

The outcome is a 100 % sativa hybrid with great vegetative strength, remarkable for its overpowering potency and its exceptional flowering traits. The flowers overflow, forming dense buds with little leaves. The trichomes are huge, plentiful and loaded with powerful cannabinoids.

This current version of Golden Tiger has stronger Thai influence, is better yielding and has more refined aromas than the previous one.

Concretely, Golden Tiger currently contains 2 Thai strains (Koh Chang Thai and Hmong Thai), and 2 different Malawi parental plants: the Old Malawi Killer and the 3rd generation New Malawi Killer.

Golden Tiger is an excellent alternative to the Haze sativas. It will fascinate the most demanding growers, looking for new genuine sativa experiences of the highest order.

F3 SEMI STABILIZED HYBRID
Feminized
Sativa / Indica ratio 100 % sativa
THC 25-30 %
CBD Up to 0.5 %
CBG Up to 1.1 %
Flowering indoors 11-14 weeks
Flowering outdoors End of October / November
Yield High
Resistance against spider mites Average
Resistance against powder mildew Average
Resistance against botrytis Very high
Resistance against white fly Average-High
Resistance against cold Average-High
Resistance against heat High
Latitude 0º-43º
Genetics Old Malawi Killer, Koh Chang Thai, Hmong Thai and New Malawi Killer.

Structure Very branchy and elegant sativa of thin leaves and medium-long node length.

Bouquet Floral, spicy and lemony thai aromas, with the organic and resinous Malawi background.

High Extreme effect of psychedelic sativa: dense, stimulant and very long lasting. It may be devastating for beginners.
Recommended only for the harder and most experienced sativa users.

Terpene profile It mainly contains the following monoterpenes: very high amounts of beta myrcene, followed by limonene, linalool, ocimene, isopulegol, alpha and beta pinene, camphene and terpinolene in smaller quantities. Sesquiterpenes: Mainly nerolidol 2, followed by beta caryophyllene and only traces of nerolidol 1 and humelene.

Growing Tips It can be grown indoors with strong light intensity and with enough space for its development. We recommend to switch her into flowering after 15 days from seed, or starting from clones rooted for at least 7 days. We recommend 11 (light)/13 (darkness) photoperiod for the flowering indoors, in order to boost the flowering, and to avoid reflowerings or excessive stretching in early flowering.
Very suitable for SOG crops due to its great yield in the main cola, or for SCROG, horizontal or network growing due to its excellent yield in the lateral branches and its vigorous reaction to pruning.

Outdoors, it is especially suitable for outdoor cultivation in tropical or subtropical climates, although it can be cultivated with very good results in warm coastal climates of mild autumn (similar to the Mediterranean) up to latitudes close to 43º.

We recommend low/moderate levels of nutrients (especially of nitrogen) for the whole cycle, and slightly higher amounts of PK at the peak of floral production in mid-flowering.

Growing Golden Tiger
I've had the good fortune to see a few others grow the strain on 420 Magazine in the last few years. Mostly growing in soil and growing one plant. They all had their hands full growing Golden Tiger. It's just a very robust strain.
All are welcome on this journal. Those that have grown it and were followed by me and contributed by example. I hope to have you along. If I forgot you, I'm sorry. I do smoke a lot.
@Tokin Roll , @CaptainLucky , and @Chuckeye

I am going to attempt to grow three of them in a hydro Flood and Drain and scrog them.
I ordered three feminized photoperiod Golden Tiger by ACE seeds from Seedsman. I planted all three in rapid rooter cubes and all three sprouted within five days. After a couple of days sitting under a ViparSpectra XS1500pro at it's lowest setting, they were moved into a small diy DWC that I run with about 2.5 gallons of PHed water. Nutrient load is for Seedlings. The light used is also a ViparSpectra XS1500pro set at 5% then upped to 25%.

They will be moved to their final home. A flood and drain hydro tray. I will be using two screens. The first screen is 7inches/17.78cm above the pvc tray cover. The plants will be scroged to this screen or run horizontal until I decide they are ready to go vertical at which time I will let them head to the 2nd screen. This usually happens with most strains by running them horizontal until the screen is mostly filled then, flipping the light schedule and putting them in flower.
Golden Tiger will flower for a long time and get very large, so one way of mitigating this is to flip or put them on a flowering light schedule faster than normal.
ACE recommends flipping two weeks from seed when growing indoors with this strain. I may very well flip at two weeks and will have flipped the lights by the third week for sure.
I will continue to run these horizontal until the screen is full or they get too sticky to handle.
When they stretch through my 2nd screen, which I am setting 15inches/38cm above the 1st screen, I will let them go until I have maxed out my light height. If they are taller than I want with little tiny buds at their stretched nodes, then I will simply cut/prune them down to the height I desire from my maxed out light. I actually intend to cut a dished out or bowl shaped pattern to the stalks. Taller around the periphery and shorter in the middle. I'll also cut a picture taking path in the front. Taking pictures during the Panama grow last year with the tall stalks in front made picture taking a nightmare.
I am hoping for thin leafed phenos so they can be packed into the 2nd screen. I will thin them out as necessary to get 2nd screen loaded the way I want it.

I'm not sure about hitting them with CO2 yet as these plants already have a history of monsterous growth so I may not want to.

I will be using a 600w LED light that is dimmed up or down depending on what I think the plants want/need.

The grow will have it's own AC. There is another grow room connected to this one. A doorway between allows running different light schedules. When the two grows are on the same light schedule then only one room's AC is used. I also run a de-humidifier that both rooms have to share. It's mainly needed mid flower to harvest.

Getting started.

Golden Tiger 3 out of 3  day six  (2).JPG

Golden Tiger, all three seeds were planted in rapid rooter cubes and all three had fully punched through six days later. They were sprouted under a ViparSpectraXS1500pro turned dimmed all the way down. Perfect little light for my two starter tents and not very expensive.

GT Day 1 veg (2).JPG

Moving them into the DIY DWC. After verifying air hose connections. About 2.5 gallons of the recommended concentration of GH three part liquid nutes for seedlings was mixed up and added to the little reservoir.
Last year, I had a root problem with the Headroom Incident before moving them into the flood and drain. The strain ended up self pollinating and I blame it on the early stress from the DIY DWC. I believe the problem was lack of oxygen in the water. One of the six air hoses would pop off and not enough air bubbles were being put into the water. I did some zip tying but I figured a fail safe was called for so I am running two air pumps. A smaller two hose pump is also supplying oxygen, so if the main one goes down, the plants won't drown.
GT Day 1 veg (4).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day one veg. The plants were put in the net pots that had clay pebbles added to the desired depth and the plants were added along with a top up of clay pebbles. The solution is checked for PH a couple of times a day. Keeping it between 5.8-6.5.

GT Day 8 veg (1).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 8 veg. still in DIY DWC. Added a very small amount of nutes to bring it halfway between the recommended amounts for Seedlings and Early Growth.

Next stop will be the flood and drain running a 17 gallon reservoir under a 600w dimmable LED fixture.
I'll probably set the reservoir up around Wednesday and give myself a couple of days to get everything right before putting the plants in.

GT room ready (1).JPG
Flood and Drain set up. 17 gallon reservoir, 600w dimmable LED, The room has it's own AC but when the other room is on the same light schedule, one AC will be used for the whole space. There are powerful 6"inline exhaust fans still operational in both rooms that were used for HID sealed light fixtrues. Now I have the exhaust fans on inkbirds set for emergency use, if the AC goes out, otherwise they stay off. I also have a dehumidifier that will be used, that's mostly necessary from mid to late flower. The set up is mostly automated and I become mainly just a caretaker once the SCROGing is over.

Golden Tiger
Day 9 veg.

They are still doing fine in the diy DWC. No negative results from the increase in nutrients. I may add the rest of nutrients to bring the nutrient concentration to the amount recommended for Early Growth, before moving them to the flood and drain.

GT Day 9 veg (2).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 9 veg.

Thanks Hombre,
I am looking forward to growing them. I plan on filling the reservoir tomorrow in the flood and drain, getting the PH stable and putting the plants in the tray on Thursday or Friday. I will flip the lights to 11/13, and shut the door between the grows. Then we'll see what happens next. :cheesygrinsmiley:

GT ACE x3 (2).JPG

Seed pack by ACE, ordered through Seedsman. Feminized, photoperiod, version II

Golden Tiger, feminized photoperiod, version two, by Ace

ACE's write up.
In Golden Tiger we have combined different extremely potent and resinous sativas from Malawi and Thailand.

The outcome is a 100 % sativa hybrid with great vegetative strength, remarkable for its overpowering potency and its exceptional flowering traits. The flowers overflow, forming dense buds with little leaves. The trichomes are huge, plentiful and loaded with powerful cannabinoids.

This current version of Golden Tiger has stronger Thai influence, is better yielding and has more refined aromas than the previous one.

Concretely, Golden Tiger currently contains 2 Thai strains (Koh Chang Thai and Hmong Thai), and 2 different Malawi parental plants: the Old Malawi Killer and the 3rd generation New Malawi Killer.

Golden Tiger is an excellent alternative to the Haze sativas. It will fascinate the most demanding growers, looking for new genuine sativa experiences of the highest order.

F3 SEMI STABILIZED HYBRID
Feminized
Sativa / Indica ratio 100 % sativa
THC 25-30 %
CBD Up to 0.5 %
CBG Up to 1.1 %
Flowering indoors 11-14 weeks
Flowering outdoors End of October / November
Yield High
Resistance against spider mites Average
Resistance against powder mildew Average
Resistance against botrytis Very high
Resistance against white fly Average-High
Resistance against cold Average-High
Resistance against heat High
Latitude 0º-43º
Genetics Old Malawi Killer, Koh Chang Thai, Hmong Thai and New Malawi Killer.

Structure Very branchy and elegant sativa of thin leaves and medium-long node length.

Bouquet Floral, spicy and lemony thai aromas, with the organic and resinous Malawi background.

High Extreme effect of psychedelic sativa: dense, stimulant and very long lasting. It may be devastating for beginners.
Recommended only for the harder and most experienced sativa users.

Terpene profile It mainly contains the following monoterpenes: very high amounts of beta myrcene, followed by limonene, linalool, ocimene, isopulegol, alpha and beta pinene, camphene and terpinolene in smaller quantities. Sesquiterpenes: Mainly nerolidol 2, followed by beta caryophyllene and only traces of nerolidol 1 and humelene.

Growing Tips It can be grown indoors with strong light intensity and with enough space for its development. We recommend to switch her into flowering after 15 days from seed, or starting from clones rooted for at least 7 days. We recommend 11 (light)/13 (darkness) photoperiod for the flowering indoors, in order to boost the flowering, and to avoid reflowerings or excessive stretching in early flowering.
Very suitable for SOG crops due to its great yield in the main cola, or for SCROG, horizontal or network growing due to its excellent yield in the lateral branches and its vigorous reaction to pruning.

Outdoors, it is especially suitable for outdoor cultivation in tropical or subtropical climates, although it can be cultivated with very good results in warm coastal climates of mild autumn (similar to the Mediterranean) up to latitudes close to 43º.

We recommend low/moderate levels of nutrients (especially of nitrogen) for the whole cycle, and slightly higher amounts of PK at the peak of floral production in mid-flowering.

Growing Golden Tiger
I've had the good fortune to see a few others grow the strain on 420 Magazine in the last few years. Mostly growing in soil and growing one plant. They all had their hands full growing Golden Tiger. It's just a very robust strain.
All are welcome on this journal. Those that have grown it and were followed by me and contributed by example. I hope to have you along. If I forgot you, I'm sorry. I do smoke a lot.
@Tokin Roll , @CaptainLucky , and @Chuckeye

I am going to attempt to grow three of them in a hydro Flood and Drain and scrog them.
I ordered three feminized photoperiod Golden Tiger by ACE seeds from Seedsman. I planted all three in rapid rooter cubes and all three sprouted within five days. After a couple of days sitting under a ViparSpectra XS1500pro at it's lowest setting, they were moved into a small diy DWC that I run with about 2.5 gallons of PHed water. Nutrient load is for Seedlings. The light used is also a ViparSpectra XS1500pro set at 5% then upped to 25%.

They will be moved to their final home. A flood and drain hydro tray. I will be using two screens. The first screen is 7inches/17.78cm above the pvc tray cover. The plants will be scroged to this screen or run horizontal until I decide they are ready to go vertical at which time I will let them head to the 2nd screen. This usually happens with most strains by running them horizontal until the screen is mostly filled then, flipping the light schedule and putting them in flower.
Golden Tiger will flower for a long time and get very large, so one way of mitigating this is to flip or put them on a flowering light schedule faster than normal.
ACE recommends flipping two weeks from seed when growing indoors with this strain. I may very well flip at two weeks and will have flipped the lights by the third week for sure.
I will continue to run these horizontal until the screen is full or they get too sticky to handle.
When they stretch through my 2nd screen, which I am setting 15inches/38cm above the 1st screen, I will let them go until I have maxed out my light height. If they are taller than I want with little tiny buds at their stretched nodes, then I will simply cut/prune them down to the height I desire from my maxed out light. I actually intend to cut a dished out or bowl shaped pattern to the stalks. Taller around the periphery and shorter in the middle. I'll also cut a picture taking path in the front. Taking pictures during the Panama grow last year with the tall stalks in front made picture taking a nightmare.
I am hoping for thin leafed phenos so they can be packed into the 2nd screen. I will thin them out as necessary to get 2nd screen loaded the way I want it.

I'm not sure about hitting them with CO2 yet as these plants already have a history of monsterous growth so I may not want to.

I will be using a 600w LED light that is dimmed up or down depending on what I think the plants want/need.

The grow will have it's own AC. There is another grow room connected to this one. A doorway between allows running different light schedules. When the two grows are on the same light schedule then only one room's AC is used. I also run a de-humidifier that both rooms have to share. It's mainly needed mid flower to harvest.

Getting started.

Golden Tiger 3 out of 3  day six  (2).JPG

Golden Tiger, all three seeds were planted in rapid rooter cubes and all three had fully punched through six days later. They were sprouted under a ViparSpectraXS1500pro turned dimmed all the way down. Perfect little light for my two starter tents and not very expensive.

GT Day 1 veg (2).JPG

Moving them into the DIY DWC. After verifying air hose connections. About 2.5 gallons of the recommended concentration of GH three part liquid nutes for seedlings was mixed up and added to the little reservoir.
Last year, I had a root problem with the Headroom Incident before moving them into the flood and drain. The strain ended up self pollinating and I blame it on the early stress from the DIY DWC. I believe the problem was lack of oxygen in the water. One of the six air hoses would pop off and not enough air bubbles were being put into the water. I did some zip tying but I figured a fail safe was called for so I am running two air pumps. A smaller two hose pump is also supplying oxygen, so if the main one goes down, the plants won't drown.
GT Day 1 veg (4).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day one veg. The plants were put in the net pots that had clay pebbles added to the desired depth and the plants were added along with a top up of clay pebbles. The solution is checked for PH a couple of times a day. Keeping it between 5.8-6.5.

GT Day 8 veg (1).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 8 veg. still in DIY DWC. Added a very small amount of nutes to bring it halfway between the recommended amounts for Seedlings and Early Growth.

Next stop will be the flood and drain running a 17 gallon reservoir under a 600w dimmable LED fixture.
I'll probably set the reservoir up around Wednesday and give myself a couple of days to get everything right before putting the plants in.

GT room ready (1).JPG
Flood and Drain set up. 17 gallon reservoir, 600w dimmable LED, The room has it's own AC but when the other room is on the same light schedule, one AC will be used for the whole space. There are powerful 6"inline exhaust fans still operational in both rooms that were used for HID sealed light fixtrues. Now I have the exhaust fans on inkbirds set for emergency use, if the AC goes out, otherwise they stay off. I also have a dehumidifier that will be used, that's mostly necessary from mid to late flower. The set up is mostly automated and I become mainly just a caretaker once the SCROGing is over.
I’m really looking forward to seeing this one. Sounds like a great setup and I hope you’re right about the veg timing ⏱️. I found it difficult in the beginning to find a nutrient level that it liked and hope you don’t have that problem. Good luck n happy growing. Thanks for the tag. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks Hombre,
I am looking forward to growing them. I plan on filling the reservoir tomorrow in the flood and drain, getting the PH stable and putting the plants in the tray on Thursday or Friday. I will flip the lights to 11/13, and shut the door between the grows. Then we'll see what happens next. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Not sure what nutrient line you're using but I found mine did not like too much ;)

Cheers

Thanks Capn. I am ready to put them in the flood and drain now. It's just economics. 30-40 watts of light and nutrients for 2.5 gallons vice 17 gallons. The light above the flood and drain won't go below 200w. Since I'm moving them in a couple of days, it really won't make much difference. But a couple weeks of savings on nutes and electricity won't hurt either.
I'm apprehensive about the nute concentration too. I plan on following the GH recommendations mostly but instead of going by week since flip, I'll feed them according to what they look like. For example, I wasn't hitting the Panama hard with flower nutes in week four since flip, because it looked more like a vegging plant than a flowering plant. I will approach max GH recommendations with caution. I already load my reservoirs with less than max and bump up the concentrations in increments, watching them a day or two before the next bump, until max is reached. I don't go over maximum, why risk it, I will get a good bit of bud, as long as I make it to finish. :cheesygrinsmiley: :bong:

Not sure what nutrient line you're using but I found mine did not like too much ;)

Cheers
Thanks Chuckeye, I will be cautious with the nutes.
I use GH three part liquid.

What is concerning is most of the Nitrogen appears to be in the Micro, not the Grow. Plus CalMag+ is something like 2-0-0.

I will try running with about half the amount of CalMag+ I usually use.

One thing good about hydro is no nute build up.

Golden Tiger
Day 10 veg.

The GT is looking about the same as yesterday. A couple more days in the diy DWC then to the flood and drain.

GT Day 10 veg (3).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 10 veg. A little wider view of my little diy DWC tent with the ViparSpectraXS1500Pro. Note the two air pumps. Redundancy.:rolleyes::bong:

GT Day 10 veg (1).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 10 veg.

Golden Tiger
Day 12 veg.

The grow area was activated in full this morning.

The GT was moved from the diy DWC under the ViparSpectraXS1500pro dimmed down giving the plants about 31k LUX and moved into the flood and drain tray with a pvc cover. There is no media in the tray other than the clay pebbles in the 6"net pots. I rely on the pvc cover to give the roots darkness. Nutrient rich water is pumped up into the tray by a small fountain pump on a mechanical timer for 15 minutes every two hours during lights on from a 17gallon doubled up plastic tote reservoir. After 15 minutes the water drains back into the reservoir through the same tube it was pumped in through.
I am currently using a 600w dimmable LED light. It's set 30"/76cm above the tray cover. It was dimmed down to match the 31k LUX of the tent light, or about 200w. It will be cranked up some as the plants establish in the flood and drain.
The rooms AC is on and also sharing the dehumidifier with the Blueberry.

The GT's light schedule will be changed at day 14 veg. Switched to 11/13 and the partition between the grow areas will be kept closed until the Blueberry is flipped. Now on Day 29 veg.

GT room ready (2).JPG

The flood and drain room from a couple days ago.

GT Day 12 veg (2).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 12 veg. 1st day in the flood and drain. 1st SCROG screen 7inches/18cm above the tray cover.

GT Day 12 veg (1).JPG

Golden Tiger. Day 12 veg.

GT Day 12 veg (3).JPG

Golden Tiger. Day 12 veg.

Golden Tiger
Day 13 veg.

After it's first night in it's new home. :cheesygrinsmiley: The plants are looking good. They just looked perky to me:cheesygrinsmiley: a couple hours after lights on.

Tonight will be the plants 1st long night. I'll be calling tomorrow Day One since flip.

The grow area is running normally. I'll mention this every day, just to say all the equipment is operating with no malfunctions.:)

The light timer and reservoir water pump timers were changed to reflect the new light schedule. My reservoir aeration runs 24/7.

At the conclusion of my late afternoon check, the partition between the grows will be closed because of the different light schedule of the Blueberry.

The grow AC has been running since yesterday. During lights on, the partition will be opened and the rooms will share the dehumidifier. During lights out, the Blueberry gets the dehumidifier as they are bigger. I'll just leave both ACs on until the light schedule of both grows are the same. They are in a good balance now, the Blueberry side a little hotter for the CO2. I'm sure the gas is getting to the Golden Tiger to a certain extent, with the fans stirring it up, and both ACs in recirculate mode.

GT Day 13 veg (2).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 13 veg., Day two in the flood and drain.

GT Day 13 veg (1).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 13 veg., Day two in the flood and drain.

Golden Tiger
Day 10 veg.

The GT is looking about the same as yesterday. A couple more days in the diy DWC then to the flood and drain.

GT Day 10 veg (3).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 10 veg. A little wider view of my little diy DWC tent with the ViparSpectraXS1500Pro. Note the two air pumps. Redundancy.:rolleyes::bong:

GT Day 10 veg (1).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 10 veg.
So you’re only gonna veg 11 more days? That’s 3 weeks correct? I think 🤔 this one is gonna be interesting 🧐 GW. lol CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

So you’re only gonna veg 11 more days? That’s 3 weeks correct? I think 🤔 this one is gonna be interesting 🧐 GW. lol CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:
No Capn, The timer is set to change tonight. Day 0 of flip. Tomorrow will Day 1, 14 days from sprout.

Let's revisit the longer veg. discussion, say 60 days from today.:hmmmm: I desire to fill up my available cubic area and still keep an acceptable distance from the light.:) If I don't fill it up, then I should have vegged longer,:hmmmm::rolleyes: if it's bursting at the seams 60 days from now, then maybe I should have vegged two plants for two weeks. :cheesygrinsmiley: :bong:

No Capn, The timer is set to for tonight. Day 0 of flip. Tomorrow will Day 1, 14 days from sprout.

Let's revisit the longer veg. discussion, say 60 days from today.:hmmmm: I desire to fill up my available cubic area and still keep an acceptable distance from the light.:) If I don't fill it up, then I should have vegged longer,:hmmmm::rolleyes: if it's bursting at the seams 60 days from now, then maybe I should have vegged two plants for two weeks. :cheesygrinsmiley: :bong:
:thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley::rofl:

How much head room do you have ?

With topping and training sideways my Golden Tiger was only 33 1/2" high with a veg of 55 days !

But three plants would be wall to wall ;)

Cheers
Just did my afternoon check and measured from the tray lid to the max light height. I've got 50 something inches to work with. About 130cm.

I will train them horizontal until I fill up the 1st screen or they get too sticky to manipulate, then I'll let them go vertical through the 2nd screen, spreading them out as they get there. If they shoot past my limit vertically, I'll prune them back to where I want them. The buds will still be small. If they get as tall as I expect, I plan on cutting the ones in the middle even lower, creating a bowl shape. I want to see the effect it will have on the lower buds around the sides of the bowl.

Back
Top Bottom