Powdery mildew on mothers

Rayi

Went away for a few days. My fan died and now powery mildew. Can I treat these with something so the mildew goes away and I can still get clones

My plants had pm when I brought them in to flower a couple weeks ago. I used citric acid (powdered vitamin c) mixed into water. I put about a tablespoon into a spray bottle. I sprayed all the leaves thoroughly (top only) and other than the damage that was already done, I see no other evidence of the pm. I have also heard of using milk for this purpose, but I didn't want to spray milk inside of my room, lol.

I used 1/2 cup milk in 2 cups water 3 days in a row. Can't tell if I still have PM because I can't get the milk completely off. Never again what a mess

I used 1/2 cup milk in 2 cups water 3 days in a row. Can't tell if I still have PM because I can't get the milk completely off. Never again what a mess
It might not be the milk you are seeing. That should wipe right off. It could be the left over Powdery Mildew. Living mildew wipes off easily with a damp towel. One of the others in the group did mention that as the Mildew dies it becomes harder and harder to wipe it off. It is as if the dead mildew roots are permanently stuck to the plant.

My fan died and now powery mildew.
The fan not working did not cause the mildew. The mildew was already there and it is a co-incidence that it grew strong enough and large enough to show up while you were gone. Based on the research I have done on mildews and molds it can take them up to 4 weeks to grow large enough that they become noticeable.

The citric acid mixing instructions are around somewhere. If I am remembering right it is 5 grams of citric acid granules to 1 pint of water and then add several drops of mild liquid soap (try to use soap and not a detergent). In my opinion it creates a stronger acid coating on the surface of the leaves and stems and really reduces the possibility of the mildew from surviving long enough to start spreading.

Once you have it in the grow area a recommendation is to do spray once a week whether you see any mildew or not. Lot easier to do a quick spray once a week than to have to spend time spraying once a day for 3 or 4 days and still have to spray once a week for a while just to get it under control.

Do the work while in the vegetating stage 'cause it is really hard, almost impossible, to stay ahead of the mildew once the flowers start to form.

I've never had PM before and I've been growing a lon time. Will I ever knock it down well enough to get clones with no PM

Can I treat these with something so the mildew goes away and I can still get clones
Yes. Get rid of the mildew. Do the preventative sprays. Spray the cuttings.

If the mildew comes back on the cuttings it can slow down how soon they root.

The mildew is living off the plant, sucking the same stuff from the leaf that the plant is using to stay alive. Sucking the life out of the leaves that the cutting needs to grow a decent root mass.

Will I ever knock it down well enough to get clones with no PM
Sure. It just take a serious attempt to keep up the spray program. You will have to keep at it. I have picked Fridays and Saturdays for prevention programs. Maybe spray on Fridays for mildews and spray on Saturday for mites and other small insects. Sundays are for putting one of my clones into the flowering tent and pulling out any that are finished.

Over the years I have read msgs from one or another of the long time members where they said that they have prevention programs so why not join the party.;) It is easier to prevent than it is to cure and then still have to prevent.

If you want you can pick up pre-mixed sprays at any decent grow shop. But, they will cost more than mixing up one pint of the citric acid spray. No recommendations on what one to use.

I used citric acid powder to clean my plants of pm at a rate of 1 tbsp in a hand spray bottle with water, and I didn't put any soap into it. I sprayed it directly on the top of all of my leaves, even ones that didn't have pm visible, and it appears to be completely gone now. (it's been 3 weeks since the treatment)

Back
Top Bottom