Powdery mildew on clones - Help!

missiechrissy

I just rooted my clones and they are about 2 weeks in and I am starting to see powdery mildew on the leaves, how do I get rid of it so I dont have to start from scratch again?

Powdery mildew on clones, HELP!

I have just replanted my clones about 2 weeks ago and am starting to see PM (powdery mildew) on the leaves. How do I get rid of it so I dont have to start from scratch and once and for all?

I used H2o2 while in flower once years ago but never while they were still babies, not sure what to do? Please help!

Ya more likely need to get some fungicide spray for them... one of the forum sponsors SNS do a pretty good organic/natural product & heres a link - SNS 244 Fungicide Spray | Sierra Natural Science

They are also some home DIY methods which can be used also which a good old fashion internet search for some home work will surely produce some results :thumb:

Heres one to get you started (copy 'n' paste job)

Baking soda makes an inexpensive control for powdery mildew on plants. The baking soda fungicide is mostly effective as a preventative, offering only minimal benefits after your plants have become infected. Weekly spraying of susceptible plants during humid or damp weather can greatly reduce the incidence of powdery mildew in your garden.

To control powdery mildew on plants, mix together:

1 tablespoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of liquid soap
1 gallon of water

Do not store unused mixture. While this recipe has been known to be effective, it can burn the leaves of some plants. It is recommended that you water your infected plants well a couple of days before applying this mixture, and don't apply it in full sun. Try on a small area first, to test the plant's response before spraying the entire plant.

Some recipes also recommend applying 1 tablespoon of ultralight horticultural oil to the mixture. The oil coats and smothers the fungi. The soap is added to help the mix spread and cling to the leaf surface. Be sure to apply to lower leaf surfaces as well.

Some other tips...

Better air circulation around plant canopy via 6 or 8 inch clip on/desk fans etc.

A half decent exhaust inline fan helps lowers heat/temps & in turn lowers humidity.

High humidity 80% plus is fine for cloning whilst they root, but humidity this high in veg & flowering is deprimental to plant health as it may well induce powdery mildew & bud rot problems !

Ideal humidity for veg is aprox 50% to 65%

Ya more likely need to get some fungicide spray for them... one of the forum sponsors SNS do a pretty good organic/natural product & heres a link - SNS 244 Fungicide Spray | Sierra Natural Science

They are also some home DIY methods which can be used also which a good old fashion internet search for some home work will surely produce some results

Heres one to get you started (copy 'n' paste job)

Baking soda makes an inexpensive control for powdery mildew on plants. The baking soda fungicide is mostly effective as a preventative, offering only minimal benefits after your plants have become infected. Weekly spraying of susceptible plants during humid or damp weather can greatly reduce the incidence of powdery mildew in your garden.

To control powdery mildew on plants, mix together:

1 tablespoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of liquid soap
1 gallon of water

Do not store unused mixture. While this recipe has been known to be effective, it can burn the leaves of some plants. It is recommended that you water your infected plants well a couple of days before applying this mixture, and don't apply it in full sun. Try on a small area first, to test the plant's response before spraying the entire plant.

Some recipes also recommend applying 1 tablespoon of ultralight horticultural oil to the mixture. The oil coats and smothers the fungi. The soap is added to help the mix spread and cling to the leaf surface. Be sure to apply to lower leaf surfaces as well.

Some other tips...

Better air circulation around plant canopy via 6 or 8 inch clip on/desk fans etc.

A half decent exhaust inline fan helps lowers heat/temps & in turn lowers humidity.

High humidity 80% plus is fine for cloning whilst they root, but humidity this high in veg & flowering is deprimental to plant health as it may well induce powdery mildew & bud rot problems !

Ideal humidity for veg is aprox 50% to 65%

I use this

DSC_9890_bonide.jpg

I hate powder mildew, I got it 1x and tried tons of different methods but not many did much. I would recommend getting a few products. One would be a spray such as SNS or Serenade, or even posassium bicarbonate which are both natural, GRAS, and effective in getting rid of PM. (Serenade is a bio active product that contains a type of bacteria that attacks the PM). I wouldn't try the home methods, they may have worked for some, but in my situation I tried everything that was a DIY or Home Product type of solution but did not work well. I also saw a product from Bonide brand which looked like it would be effective because it is a soil drench, which helps fight it within the plant but I haven't used it either. I used SNS as a preventative this current grow and no issues what so ever, they make amazing products...

Another highly recommended solution is a sulfur burner but I've never used one.

What I tried that didn't work:
milk/water mix
baking soda
potassium silicate
potassium carbonate (not bicarbonate like recommended)
lemon juice
cinnamon
garlic

From what I have read on PM, once your plant has it, there is no getting rid of it because it is a systematic disease and by the time you see it on the leaves, the plant can easily have had it for 2 weeks already. Since you mentioned they are in clone stage, I honestly would recommend just getting rid of the plants that are infected, trashing them, and getting some different clones. PM will destroy your plants, cover your buds and ruins your overall crops. I also would mix up a bleach/water solution or a H2O2 solution, wipe down everything in your tent (fans, lights, walls, pots) and might even want to follow up with a 2nd wiping of lysol to make sure any loose spores are removed and damaged. This should help prevent future outbreaks. Overall try to keep humidity between 30%-50%, keep good air exchange and air circulation and this will also help reduce the outbreaks. Honestly if their clones, I would say trash them, get more, from a different source, and start again... I tried fighting PM from veg to flower, and it wore out and ruined 5 out of 6 of my plants. I even tried the Jorge Cerventez method of washing the buds with H2O2 at harvest and it did nothing, buds were still coated in PM and tasted horrible.

Use eagle 20 once

Ever looked at the MSDS for this stuff... I would never spray this on something I inhale. I know its common for growers to use, but there are better all natural solutions than using this toxic stuff.

Here is some quotes from Eagle 20 MSDS
INGESTION:
Low toxicity if swallowed. Small amounts
swallowed incidental to normal handling operations are not
likely to cause injury; however, swallowing larger amounts
m
ay cause injury. Swallowing may result in gastrointestinal
irritation or ulceration. Aspiration into the lungs may occur
during ingestion or vomiting. The oral LD
for rats is 3749
mg/kg (females) and >5000 mg/kg (males)
INHALATION:
Excessive exposure ma
y cause irritation to
upper respiratory tract (nose and throat) and lungs. May
cause central nervous system effects. Symptoms of
excessive exposure may be anesthetic or narcotic effects;
dizziness and drowsiness may be observed.
SYSTEMIC (OTHER TARGET ORG
AN) EFFECTS:
For
myclobutanil, in animals, effects have been reported on the
following organs: liver, testes, adrenal gland, kidney, and
thyroid. For the solvent, in animals, effects have been
reported on the following organs: central nervous system,
kidne
y, liver, lungs, thyroid and urinary tract. Symptoms of
excessive exposure may be anesthetic or narcotic effects;
dizziness and drowsiness may be observed. Hypothermia
has occurred in animals following skin or inhalation
exposures to cyclohexanone. Catarac
ts and other eye
effects have been reported in humans repeatedly exposed
to naphthalene vapor or dust.
CANCER INFORMATION:
Myclobutanil did not cause
cancer in laboratory animals. Contains naphthalene, which
has caused cancer in some laboratory animals
TERATOLOGY (BIRTH DEFECTS):
Myclobutanil did not
cause birth defects in laboratory animals. Has been toxic to
the fetus in laboratory animals at doses non
-
toxic to the
mother. For cyclohexanone, has been toxic to the fetus in
laboratory animals only at dos
es toxic to the mother.
REPRODUCTIVE EFFECTS:
For myclobutanil, in
laboratory animal studies, effects on reproduction have
been seen only at doses that produced significant toxicity to
the parent animals. Cyclohexanone caused reduced growth
and survival o
f offspring in an animal reproduction study.
Dose levels producing this effect also caused central
nervous system effects in parental animals.
MUTAGENICITY
: For myclobutanil, in
-
vitro and animal
genetic toxicity studies were negative. For cyclohexanone:
a
nimal genetic toxicity studies were inconclusive. In
-
vitro
genetic toxicity studies were negative in some cases and
positive in other cases. The petroleum solvent was
negative in genetic toxicity tests.

This is part of the reason that I choose to grow my own, because I definitely would not want to knowingly be smoking things like this on my medical buds. To each their own, but before using this stuff, check out other options.

I have to clarify how I use the product above. I have been able to successfully control molds of all types with this product but I only do so in my veg room. I only move "healthy" plants to the bloom room and so far :wood: I have not had a major outbreak in flower, yet. I only use this product in the first few weeks. I have not had to but if a plant did not turn around with one or two applications I would kill it. Since I am in a high mold area it was also suggested that I use a silicon product to make the plants stronger and less resistant, I use Pro-tekt by Dyna-gro. The combo has allowed me to plow through and have healthy buds in a really poor environment.

your clones will have mold al the way through flower. I had it last year. I'm outdoors so I could not start over. But indoors I would. I used vinegar and water spray every 3 days controled it fine. made it to harvest ok. Watch where you get clones from it comes from the mother. But you can spray vinegar and water right up till harvest.
I have just replanted my clones about 2 weeks ago and am starting to see PM (powdery mildew) on the leaves. How do I get rid of it so I dont have to start from scratch and once and for all?

I used H2o2 while in flower once years ago but never while they were still babies, not sure what to do? Please help!

I take it nobody has hurd of cuh2o the pm erradicator lol its a great product that has a noticeable 24hr difference sprayed and came back the next morning of my babbys and bam that stuff was pretty much gone i dont know much about it except it works great and witch now i use it as a preventative i hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom