Power outages

I reset my timers to the correct time. There ain't a heck of a lot of other viable options that I know of. I've got an emergency generator, but by the time I get it fired up, power has usually been restored. Besides, the generator is used for the freezer full of food & the fridge, but most importantly, since I have a well instead of city water, is the water pump (happiness is being able to flush your toilet!). Since it's only a 5500W generator, I don't have enough power left over for the lights in the grow room.

If the outage looks to be long, then I'd probably run a cord to get a couple of CFLs going. I wouldn't count on any growth during the outage due to the low intensity of CFLs, but it should at least keep them on the accustomed light schedule without putting too much additional load on the generator.

They also sell battery fishing air pumps .

And due to the low wattage of the AC pumps, a reasonably inexpensive UPS (such as for a home computer) will keep most aeration setups going for a while.

If your reservoir is of decent size instead of, say, a five-gallon bucket... If the ambient temperature is reasonable, and assuming that your aeration setup produces a "supersaturated" level of DO in the reservoir... then you've got a bit of a buffer time-wise, anyway.

Worse comes to worse, you can always change the solution in your reservoir. Or just dip a gallon out, pour it back in so that you get splashing / lots of surface disruption, and repeat several times. Or take it out ½-gallon at a time into a gallon jug, screw the cap on, shake it madly for a minute, pour it back in the reservoir, and repeat several times. You've just aerated the solution in your reservoir (a bit).

If you notice the roots darkening, the solution starting to smell, or the plant looking like it has been over-watered (because the roots are "drowning" - or more properly, suffocating, lol) then your solution has gone too long without suitable aeration.

Back
Top Bottom