'prince Of Pot' Released After Paying Bail

SmokeDog420

SASKATOON ( CP ) - A marijuana activist was released from jail Thursday after spending three nights and paying $3,500 bail.

"I'm actually ashamed to think this is part of Canada," Marc Emery said outside provincial court.

"By the time I factor in my bail and all my legal fees, it cost me over $12,000 ( for ) passing a joint in this city. That's the most wicked, harshest jurisdiction I've ever encountered in Canada."

Emery, the B.C. Marijuana Party president known as the Prince of Pot, was arrested Monday at a bandshell for passing out joints.

He had given a pro-marijuana speech at the University of Saskatchewan earlier in the evening as part of a national university tour.

The Crown is pursuing a charge of trafficking.

Under his bail conditions, Emery is not allowed to possess or traffic marijuana and must submit to random police searches of his person, vehicle and home.

Crown prosecutor Frank Impey had argued that Emery should be denied bail altogether because he was likely to reoffend.

Judge Peter Kolenick observed that despite Emery's frequent marijuana-related arrests, he has no breaches of undertaking.

Emery said he's been targeted by authorities because of his activist stance.

"Initially, I was booked on possession, until they found out who I was," he said. "You wouldn't ask $3,500 bail for anyone else in this country for passing a joint." Emery's lawyer, Leanne Johnson, agreed.

"It's about the fact that it's a public figure, the fact that he's an advocate."

Emery, who missed two scheduled stops on his national tour, is to speak in Chilliwack today. He's to be back in Saskatoon for a court date Wednesday.

URL: MapInc

Back
Top Bottom