Proponent Says Marijuana Legalization Imminent

420 Warrior

Gallup Poll: 50% Of Americans Support Legalizing Marijuana

Marijuana is one of America's most commonly used illegal drugs, and proponents in New Orleans said Tuesday the effort to decriminalize it is picking up steam.

Proponents of legalizing marijuana from Louisiana to Washington State said the decades-long cultural battle over smoking pot is coming to an end.

"The end of prohibition against cannabis will come just like it came with alcohol," Sunni Womack with Legalize Louisiana said.

According to a recent Gallup poll, 50 percent of Americans -- up from 36 percent just five years ago -- support the legalization of marijuana.

"We have 16 other states, including Washington, D.C., that already have models showing the tax dollars that (marijuana) revenue creates," Womack said.

Besides the economic benefits of decriminalizing pot, proponents said that it also reduces the amount of tax dollars spent to jail marijuana smokers.

Proponents also said they reject the argument that grass is a gateway to hardcore drugs.

"Statistics don't change when it comes to marijuana as compared to coc*aine and her*oin. These other drugs prove to be very bad and hurt (and kill) people," Womack said.

But FBI Special Agent David Welker said legalizing drugs, in general, would only lead to other problems.

"Someone would have to regulate that aspect of (drugs), which is done with the alcohol industry.

Someone would have to regulate it, and then, I believe it creates this black market for stronger and different drugs," Welker said.

Officials said that some cities, including New Orleans, have now passed laws that require police to issue summons to those caught with small amounts of marijuana for personal use -- as opposed to taking them to jail.

"I think laws are designed as a deterrent effect to have people stop doing something that they've created as illegal," Welker said.

Both proponents and opponents said they will be watching the ballot in Washington State and Colorado as voters go to the polls this fall to weigh in on the initiative to legalize pot in those two states.

marijuana_0.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: WDSU
Copyright: Copyright 2012 by WDSU.com.

special agent Welker is full of crap! Were not talking about legalizing DRUG'S IN GENERAL , just marijuana. Marijuana is a gift from God , no one has the right to say its wrong, no one...:peace:

My pleasure, my friend...:high-five:

I love it! Yet another southern state considering legalization!!! :thumb: :woohoo:

Welcome , Cannajah420 to the mag . Ya know i have heard this same talk time and time again only to have some judge throw you back to square one . I live in delaware they just put our medical program on hold, thats why i am sceptical . I hope and pray all this stop's and people do the right thing, but only time will tell, i sure could use the resorce. I have been fighting non- hodgkins lynphoma for the last 6 year's. Had it twice after a stem-cell transplant iam happy to say i have been in remission for over a year . It would be nice not to be labeled a crimminal for growing my Medicine! Time will tell....:peace:

Welcome , Cannajah420 to the mag . Ya know i have heard this same talk time and time again only to have some judge throw you back to square one . I live in delaware they just put our medical program on hold, thats why i am sceptical . I hope and pray all this stop's and people do the right thing, but only time will tell, i sure could use the resorce. I have been fighting non- hodgkins lynphoma for the last 6 year's. Had it twice after a stem-cell transplant iam happy to say i have been in remission for over a year . It would be nice not to be labeled a crimminal for growing my Medicine! Time will tell....:peace:
TY for the welcome !! I wish you the best & am glad to hear you are in remission. I defiantly believe the powers that Judge us now, Will have to back down eventually or Join the club. There are too many people pursing the positive in these hard times that we all must face.:thanks::circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom