Prosser Schools Turn Down Pot Farmer's Donation

Shandar

Prosser, Wash. – School officials Monday flatly turned down a $14,000 donation from a local marijuana farmer, taking a strong stand against youth marijuana use.

"We're not taking it, end of story," said Ray Tolcacher, Prosser School District superintendent.

The donor, Randy Williams, now is looking for another local recipient.

"I never thought it'd be a problem to give money away," said the owner of Fireweed Farms, a marijuana producer north of this city of 5,800.

Williams' next choice is the Prosser branch of the Boys and Girls Club. The youth nonprofit officials will "evaluate internally," said Brian Ace, executive director of Boys and Girls Clubs of Benton and Franklin Counties.

Next in line would be the VFW, Williams said.

Williams, one of the few licensed Yakima Valley growers, promised at his Nov. 15 auction to donate the proceeds of one low-grade lot of marijuana to local schools. The stash sold for about $13,500; he kicked in the remainder to make it an even $14,000, he said.

After reading media coverage of the auction, which mentioned the school donation, school officials discussed the proposed donation last week and decided not to accept it to send a clear message to their students, Tolcacher said.

"We've been pretty vocal about our concern over this," Tolcacher said.

The school board must approve all donations over $500.

Tolcacher has been one of Prosser's staunchest opponents of recreational marijuana, repeatedly speaking against the city's decision to permit Altitude, a pot retail store in town. Most surrounding cities have banned marijuana.

Tolcacher said he recently told Randy Dorn, state superintendent of public instruction, that school officials throughout the state are catching more kids with marijuana since state voters legalized it for adults with the November 2012 passage of Initiative 502. He plans to tell same thing to the Liquor Control Board, the state agency charged with regulating recreational marijuana.

Even with the initiative, pot remains illegal for those under 21, just like alcohol.

Williams visited the school district office to make the donation last week. Tolcacher, who was out at the time, broke the news to the would-be donor over the phone Monday.

"That's a mistake on their end because they're not helping any thing," Williams said.

POT_MONEY.jpg

News Moderator: Shandar @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Yakima Herald Republic | Home
Author: Ross Courtney
Website: Yakima Herald Republic | Prosser schools turn down pot farmer?s donation

J9BLACK: Really, what was the fall-out? Did these kids stop going to school? Become heroin addicts? Talk back to their parents?

Shandar: The Spanx Society... I think that's the first time I've smiled in days, gracias.

This is childish behavior in my opinion. You don't have to agree with someone else's stance or beliefs in order to be humble, and graciously accept a donation.

If we only associated with people who share our exact beliefs, we would be a very lonely society.

I'm curious what would have happened if the donor was Dom Perignon. Even though the product is not legal for minors to purchase, posess or consume, I'm fairly certain the school would have accepted THAT donation.

Its stupid. Whats the difference between taxing it and using the revenue for education and accepting a donation from the same industry? I suppose an assumed preferential treatment or quid pro quo. But I am sure the receipt for such a donation has the appropriate disclaimer to the donor.

Here in Colorado we just voted down horse racing, two things I don't like about it. I don't see why humans need to exploit animals for any reason. Secondly, they wanted to give the taxes to education. My thoughts on that are this: we are so greedy that we can't provide a tax to fund schools out of our pockets but we don't mind pissing away gambling dollars...we deserve the crappy schools. Besides amendment 64 is providing serious money to schools and at least people aren't being introduced to a highly addictive recreation and no animals were harmed in the making of this amendment.

:peace:

While I understand why a school district has a number of reasons to avoid direct legal or illegal contributions to avoid a conflict of interest it's really sad that this happened. This guy went all out to help his community creating a bigger tax base, jobs and even a generous contribution to a town that has struggled at times in it's history with a lack of funding.

I would propose the some adults hold a 'tractor wash' to benefit the schools, and expect very generous donation from the tractor owner/the owner of Fireweed Farms. surely the school district could accept fundraiser money raised/donated by parents. (no direct support or children in anyway involved or endangered.

Back
Top Bottom