Donation's High Turns into a Low

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Ca. - A free truckload of soil for a Santa Barbara school's new vegetable garden should have been something to celebrate. But when officials discovered the donation's source, it turned into a total bummer.

"We had no idea that a medical marijuana dispensary was in any way connected to a donation of soil for a community garden," the Santa Barbara County Education Office said in a written statement Wednesday. "We would not have accepted the donation had we known that was the case."

The founder of Green Well, the month-old, city-permitted, nonprofit marijuana business that made the delivery to El Puente School, said he was trying only to be good neighbor.

"We thought it would be a good fit," said James Lee, a former business consultant. "We want to be part of the solution, not the problem."

In January, an AmeriCorps volunteer at the school for troubled students solicited donations for the garden in a local newspaper. Lee responded, telling her explicitly, he said, about his dispensary.

"It didn't raise any flags," he said Tuesday.

But school officials said he never mentioned marijuana, stating instead that he represented "a nonprofit that had associations with a landscaping business," said Wendy Shelton, a spokeswoman for the county education office.

A truck bearing the name of a local landscaping company arrived at the school Tuesday morning -- along with TV cameras.

Lee had sent out a news release about the donation, which included sacks of bat guano and earthworm castings.

On Tuesday, the landscaping company disavowed any connection with Lee, saying an "unauthorized" person had used its truck.

School officials said they would return his dirt.

"We'd rather get soil from reputable soil people," Shelton said.

As for Lee, he said he would handle future civic-minded efforts differently.

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: Los Angeles Times (CA)
Page: AA5
Copyright: 2010 Los Angeles Times
Website: Los Angeles Times - California, L.A., Entertainment and World news - latimes.com
Author: Steve Chawkins

I'll bet they dont send the tax money paid by the dispensary back...:roorrip: Hypocrites..

Are these people insane? This is just to bizarre. These people make retards look smart.

Are these people insane? This is just to bizarre. These people make retards look smart.

i sure wish we'd quit calling these people retards. people with mental disabilities deserve more respect than these village idiots.

The whole thing is just rude. Amazingly rude & I am in agreement with Warbux, if it was a vast amount of $$$ they probably would have kept it.

Similar thing happened around Christmastime in Redding, CA last year. Unlike Lee, who made a press release about his donation (shameless publicity), a local collective privately made a huge food donation to a homeless shelter/food kitchen who had advertised that they were running short of food for people in need, but the shelter most vehemently and publicly refused the donation on the grounds that they were a "Christian" establishment and could not take "tainted" food for the people they feed. Perfectly good and wholesome food, yet coming from an mmj establishment, considered totally unacceptable. I am still blown away that they did this, and even more agape at the response of this school to the proffered soils--though I think making a press release about the donation was a bit much from the donor and shouldn't have been done. Turned it from generosity to self-aggrandizement, IMHO....

I hate it when people bring religion into the medical cannabis picture it just shows how hypocritical and phony they are... They should just shut up... I believe that God put marijuana on this earth to show Christians how phony they are... For God gave us cannabis to use as medicine or what ever else you want to use it for. . . This incident proves my point. . .

It annoys me too when people bring religion into medical marijuana. There is no proof that g-d existed. I believe in g-d as much as I believe in the tooth fairy. Nature gave us marijuana. However, I do agree that Christians are phony people. They only live by the bible when it is convenient for them. Just look at what the catholic priest did.
The school needed the soil. The dispensary attempted to give it to the school. The school refused it. Obviously the school didn't need it that bad.

Back
Top Bottom