Pump placement: inside our outside of res?

Android

What's the reason so many of you still put pumps that are fit to be out the reservoir inside the reservoir?
I mean: it doesn't seem to have much benefit as far as pressure is concerned; they probably fail quicker, and therefore are less reliable in the water...
So what it it? Is it because of the noise (if they are less noisy inside a reservoir), because of a filter, or to avoid drilling holes in the res for the piping? Or do they get hot and the solution cools them down?
I am not getting it. Please someone explain
:peace:

im not sure i understand your question... what pumps are you refering to, the only pumps i seem to see in res tanks, is fountain pumps, or sump pumps, which are supposed to be in the water...

Its easier to run a pump in a res because you dont have to plumb the inlet side, just the outlet. On another note, pumps add heat to water more so if placed in the res compared to outside.

Another pro vs con for having it in the reservoir is that you dont have to put a hole in your res for the intake of the pump.

Pro for having it outside, it adds less heat and any electrical voltage leaked from the motor doesnt end up in the water.

In my opinion if you run a pump inside the res you should also have a stainless or titanium grounding rod in the res and this attaches to the screw on your outlet, which should also be a GFCI.

thanks for the informative comparison

...Any idea on the noise - does it usually get muffled by water or amplified?
my res is Rubbermaid Slim Jim (a bar bottle bin)

Either outside or inside, I dont think it makes much difference for noise. Now hard piped or hose will make a difference. You will have slightly more noise with a hard pipe setup.

Mag drives are pretty quiet in general. They will become a little louder if you accidentally lose prime or run it dry, even for a couple of seconds. The plastic blades on the impeller will slightly warp and you will start hearing like a bubble noise inside the motor housing..............It will still run forever if this happens.....I have never killed one and I have owned and used them for years at least the following I have, Mag 5, 7, 9, 9.5, 12.

The ones I have I think came with a neoprene base plate that can be stuck to the bottom. Inside or outside the res, make sure you use it.

Back
Top Bottom