Question about breeding

kahoona

my question is when making seeds, what does the mother contribute and what does the father contribute as far as height, thc content, pest resistance etc. using clones and seed. does anyone have a guide or thread with this info ? and what happens when you use clones from one mother and turn one to male for pollen production as there is no y chromosome and produce seeds from the other female clones. do the attributes from the original mother dictate what the seeds attributes are ?

Hello.
So, lets start with the parents. In my opinion, the father contributes towards the flower structure and the potency. This is just what I have found. Others might disagree.
If you use pollen from a male that is bushy and hardy and has tight flower clusters, most often the results of that breeding will give you hardy plants with tight floral clusters. Of course, there is a full range here. Some of those seeds will lean towards the mother in potency and appearance and some towards the father. Some will be right in the middle.

Using a weak and spindly male hardly ever gives you impressive results.
Now, when you use two clones from the same mother and reverse one to pollinate the other, the result will be something very similar but not exactly the same as the mother plant. There will still be some variety but generally they will be fairly uniform.
The mother plant will give a variety of traits just like the male. Think of this like humans. Also the further you breed the lines, the opportunity arises for recessive genes to show. Often this is where you will find some keepers. This is similar to the red head gene that pops up down the generations.
In short, both the parents contribute towards the genetic makeup and expressions and traits of the seeds you produce.
If both the male and female plants are early flowerers , the chances of producing seeds that will grow and flower earlier are much higher.
The best advice I can offer is to use healthy and exceptional parents for breeding and try it for yourself.
Good luck

So nothing written in stone then who contributes what traits to new seeds. I was hoping one could predict certain traits even before flower. Another question i have is about winterization. Does it help with germination rates on older seeds ?

So nothing written in stone then who contributes what traits to new seeds. I was hoping one could predict… ?

It’s a rather complex issue. When you breed 2 parents of different genetics, some seeds will come out with mostly the mother’s traits, some will be a mix. Some will be what the father would have been like, had it been female.

When you reverse the sex of a female plant, you aren’t actually turning it male. You’re just making the female temporarily create male parts. Which is why feminized seeds come out of it, it’s really two females reproducing so the YY/XY chromosomes are always correct.

Now when the parents are totally different, some traits are going to remain because of recessive genes 🧬. Variegation for example seems to come through every plant I’ve made, if one parent has it.

It takes minimum 4/5 selective breedings to get the traits you want from 2 plants. Some people won’t say it’s stable until it’s F7 or higher. That takes years.

You can have fun with breeding and learning to pass traits to certain plants, just don’t believe everything you think you know.

Don’t ever breed with herms (not the same as reversing sex) and anyone that says they make feminized seeds from herms is a liar and they’re WRONG. And they are why the gene pool is polluted with more herms. They can get bent
Proper breeding avoids about 90% of that issue.

Lots of great breeders with way more knowledge but it definitely can’t be explained in a few paragraphs.

JG

what happens when you use clones from one mother and turn one to male for pollen production as there is no y chromosome and produce seeds from the other female clones. do the attributes from the original mother dictate what the seeds attributes are ?
The female cannabis plant creates feminized pollen which only produces female seeds. Traits such as cannabinoid production, overall trichome production, cola size are primarily determined by the female cannabis plants and reinforced by selecting the heartiest male cannabis plants. The traits are re enforced through successive breeding lines to create stable f1 seeds and stabilized genetics.

Back
Top Bottom