Question from a greenhorn

Bobzilla

I'm in the planning phase of my first grow. I'm going small scale. 3 to 6 plants. I want to use HPS lighting, but I'm not sure of the wattage. My space will probably be a homemade grow closet about 2.5ft by 2.5ft and 6ft tall. I was thinking about 400w but was concerned about the heat in such a small space. I also don't have a lot of funds for a nice ventilation system. So what i am wondering is, will a 150 or 250 watt set-up be adequate for the number of plants in the amount of space? I would also like to choose a healthy lady as a mother. Would a few CFL's be a good choice? Also, what are the most reputable sources for obtaining seeds online?

2.5*2.5 is 6.5 sq. ft. ya wanna show around 50 watts per ft.
250/6.5 thats 38.5 that ain't bad.

another way is Lumen s, 5,000 per sq/ft. 3,000 is min for growing.

a 250 gives off 25,000 give or take a couple of thou, pends on the light I guess.

so that is 3,850 per square foot. So your good to go there too.

You are right about one thing, you will still have some heat problems with
a 400, I have a 2'x'4 room and had a problem with it when I first started out.

Thanks for the reply. After giving it some more thought I think i've decided to wait a couple more weeks so i can have the funds for a cooling system for the 400w. I know i'd end up getting one in the future anyway, so i might as well just wait a bit and get one now.

Another question. Would a couple good sized computer fans move enough air to ventilate that amount of space? I was thinking 2 for intake and 2 for exhaust.

Edit:

Just noticed the Cabinet, Closet, & Grow Room Setup forum. I think this thread will be more on topic there. So let this one die.

Or ask a moderator to move it for you. Takes seconds to move a thread. Here, I'll do it.

BtW, Good decision on waiting in order to get the 400-watt. That would provide adequate light for flowering in your space. LEDs are said to be both cooler and better producers (per watt), but I don't have any experience with them yet. You might look at some of the LED grow journals if saving a little longer to buy your light is an option.

hey brother. im using a room i built in my cellar so its cool down there.
my dimentions are 4 1/2 ft by 5 feet deep. 8 feet high but my lamps are at 4 1/2 feet high.
i have a 600hps a 400hps, and 4 floro four foot t8s. no heat, my room stays at 76 to 80 all the time.
if i was growing in your dimentions id use. a 400hps with a 430 son agro bulb.

you can chuck a 430 son agro, the bulb has mh and hps in it, funky shit. then just cut a hole up by the light and stick a 10 dollar wall fan 8 inches and have it suck the heat right off your lamp and out. then you can either leave the door open a crack to vent or cut a hole down the opposite bottom side, place a fan thatll suck air into it.. youll be good. im lucky cuz i just leave the door open to my room . and then i always have a cellar door to my yard open. i have a portch with a door underneath it, i just leave it open until about 30 or so days of flower then i have to shut it and just deal with the smell. and there will be smell brother guaranteed. sometimes they dont smell at all right till they flower. then its skunk heaven. good luck, this shits a lot easier than people think, just dont over think shit.

Back
Top Bottom