Question On Exhaust. 1st Grow Need Advice

DaKindbuds

My grow room is about 1000 CF. I have a compact wall mount meant to cool down a section of the house that includes the room it is in and a couple adjacent rooms. I sealed off about a third of the room it is in for my grow space so I'm assuming it exhausts at least 400-500 CFM. I was running my room with RH hovering around 50% most of the day. I was WPM problems so I got a 8" exhaust fan rated for 715 CFM and I have trouble opening my grow room door with it running at 100%. Also I did a foliar spray before lights out and I could see the mist droplets being pulled up to the exhaust so I'm pretty sure the ventilation is fine but my RH is still only going down to about 39-44% and that is with a dehumidifier running also. Now the placement of my dehumidifier is less than ideal being about 6" off the floor right by the door. Will making a shelf and putting it up by the ceiling make enough of a difference to make it worth the effort. After spraying with a hydrogen peroxide solution last night for the WPM I still found some on a two leaves which is way down from yesterday but not good enough. With the suction seeming to be good is it still an exhaust problem or do I need to eradicate the WPM completely for it to go away

Wall mount AC I assume?

If yes, it doesn't exhaust anything (very few models have an exhaust function). The air is drawn in through the evaporator, which cools the air, and is blown back out.

Most AC units will maintain approximately 50%+/- RH.

It sounds like the exhaust fan is creating negative pressure inside the grow, which is causing the difficulty in opening the door.
Increasing the size of your intake hole should solve that problem.

Foliar spray with lights on, and move lights to a higher point to prevent burning. Spraying at night invites mold and fungus.

39-44% is a little low for RH in Veg. They do better in the range of 50%-70% for Veg
40%-50% for Flower.

I wouldn't mount the dehumidifier near the ceiling, it won't accomplish much. They're made to naturally circulate the air. As they remove moisture, the RH equalizes in the room, and the unit continues removing moisture until the desired RH is reached.

Foliar sprays at night could be causing, or at the very least contributing to your powdery mildew problem.

It's a foliar spray at night problem.

I personally prefer Extraordinary Results?Naturally! | Home | Sierra Natural Science products for any pests and whatever else I encounter. Their products are safe, and natural.

And this link will give you more information on basically everything I discussed here: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Thanks for the feedback! Its a Fujitsu Compact wall mount the air is piped in from the outside on the other side of the wall. there is a vent at the top I assumed was an exhaust. I just bought a hyperfan 8" exhaust fan. rated for 715, I just did an exact calculation for the room and in order to have an exchange rate of 932 CFM. Do I need to exchange it for a 10" rated at 1032 or am I good with what I have and to be honest I don't even have an intake hole I thought air being pumped in from them outside was good enough. Oh and my RH at 39-44% is in my flower room not my veg. I'm not having any issues in my veg room. I do have a product called Nuke Em its an organic food grade spray for bugs and mold, it says its safe to use all the way up to the day of harvest but skeptical. That's why I used the hydrogen peroxide last night. But I just installed the exhaust the night before and didn't want to treat until I had adequate air flow. The amount of Mold spots was way fewer. What do you think? You seem to know what you are talking about and I appreciate the help. I could post pics of my room or a short video so you can see the layout and give me some input because its just me putting this grow together alone and while I have experience with plants from landscaping and greenhouse work this is a different ballgame. Thanks

I'd probably have to see the setup to know for sure, and even then I might have questions about the vent.

Is this fujitsu compact an air conditioner?

Where is the exhaust fan blowing the air to?

The H2O2 likely reduced the mold, but to prevent further problems, make sure you only do your spraying during lights on, and raise the lights a little during that period of foliar feeding, otherwise the water acts like magnifying glasses and burns your leaves.

The water burns can resemble other problems and deficiencies, and can lead to some panic decisions which can worsen the situation.

Reading the label on the product you have can be helpful. Flying Skull Nuke Em? Appears to be safe.
Ingredients:
Active Ingredients By Weight
Citric Acid 0.05%
Inert Ingredients By Weight
Yeast (Enzymes) 9.43%
Potassium Sorbate 0.02%
Water 90.50%
Total: 100.00%

But the high water content would still have you wanting to avoid spraying on the buds, it could lead to mold IMO once the active ingredient wears off.

And if you're still concerned, you can wash your buds after harvest. Here's a video made by one of the members here:

And there are some other writeups and such on the forum if you search around for budwashing/bud washing.

Jorge Cervantes has even used bud washing in one of his videos.

That comes from not having a life, and spending the past year+ reading constantly on the forums here.

I had prior landscaping plants experience, and although this is a little different, it's similar enough that it's going to all click for you one day in one of those "OHHHHHHHH" moments :thumb:

Basically you control the environment indoors, where outdoors you don't have as much control. Take advantage of that ability to manipulate your plants to do what you want. They'll definitely reward you.

I personally prefer short and wide plants. This is one I'm growing now:

IMG_20150528_075047_258.jpg

IMG_20150531_081533_886.jpg

Last measured 16" tall, and 20" side to side, 26" corner to corner.

The Fujitsu is a A/C, Heater, Fan, and has Dry, and Auto mode. It does pump in fresh air but I don't think it pulls it out, only recycles and filters inside air while doing so (I think). It might not even matter anymore because after putting my dehumidifier back in and running it and the exhaust the RH was at 44% at lights on and was between 38-50%. Don't know for how long it was at what percent. That's just the high's and low's the hygrometer gave me. But my girls haven't looked better and no sign of WPM this morning. I actually already saw that video by Jorge Cervantes. As far as everything clicking, it feels like that's already happening this is my first grow and to be honest with all the factors like starting the whole grow ass backwards. By getting the plants before I even had lights, then building rooms around them. Then having mites introduced and then WPM. All while feeling like $%!@ because I stopped taking my pain meds because I'm tired of pharmaceuticals. AND I'm still happy with my results of my first grow so far. It's just getting the environmental factors under control that I need the help with. I Cant have my hard work and medication go down the crapper because of something easily preventable. I dig the short and wide plants too the first clone I picked up Im really proud of she's about 22in. tall and 3ft. wide

I'm a tiny bit concerned because my temps get up to 81-82F at about the level of my tallest stalks but just a foot below its 78F with 4000w bare bulb that should be okay right. I don't want to burn off potency and I'm assuming potency will be affected before I see signs of heat stress from the leaves, right?

Well I tried posting a video from my iPad to show you the setup but it wouldn't let me so heres some pics its of it almost rectangular but has a section missing from a corner and its 16'x9' and 7'6" ceilings

Back
Top Bottom