Question on new growth

TennRiver

420 Member
This is my 1st grow and my WW plants appear to be doing good. My question is the plants are putting on so much new growth that they are getting crowded with new small leaves at the top of the plant and I need to know if I need to clear this new growth or wait until they have been in my 5 Gal DWC until they hit 6 weeks on the bubbler. Most all that I have read says not to prune until they have been in veg for 6 weeks. It appears to me that this new daily growth is slowing down the overall growth of the plant. I would appreciate some good advice.

It would be nice to see a picture. You don't say how old your plants are but I expect they are small if you haven't transplanted yet.

I'm sure you can get as many opinions of pruning and defoliation as there are growers here. I personally have no problems opening up a plant by a combination of Topping (before 21 days between 3rd and 4th node), LST, Tucking, Pony Tailing and defoliation. When I do LST I tuck as many big leaves as possible to open the growth sites and I do a lot of pruning. I'm currently growing Autos and have been heavily pruning since they were really small. Take a look at my journal and you will see that it has not had any negative impact on my plants.

thanks, the plants went on the dwc on 2/25. They have grown to 10 inches tall and about 16 inches across in the 3 weeks they have been on the bubbler. The plants are fem white widow and appear from a novices view to be healthy except for the clogging up small growth that has me worried about what to take away from the plant. Big developed leaves or the small new leaves. Don't want to take away bloom sites.

Your correct. never take away bloom sites with the exception of topping a plant which actually encourage of the bud sites below where topped.

I only remove the big leaves that are blocking the bud sites. When I take a large leaf off, I pinch it about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the main stalk. Within a day or two you will see growth. Go slow with just a couple leaves the first time until you feel comfortable.

A technique called pony tailing is fun also. You just take the big leaves and pull them up and put a pipecleaner around it like a pony tail for 3-4 hours while the lights are on. It encourages the new shoots to take off as they are now exposed to the light. It is a good intermediate step if your not comfortable with defoliation yet.

Thanks Troy all this info helps. I have no experience growing, but I am a pro smoker for about 50 years, LOL I think something just slapped me in the face and tell me if I'm wrong, the bloom sites are right in the middle of the leaves almost like a center point on the leaves. Is that right?

The blooms form at the tip of the Cola and also along the stem right at the junction of the Fan Leaf and the stem. That is the reason you try to increase the number of bud sites by either topping or things like poney tailing.

In the picture below you will see the main Cola with a bloom at the top but also all along the stem more bud sites will emerge and as the plant matures will fill in to create (hopefully) a big dense bud as the buds all pack in and start swelling.

The plants below have initiated blooming and probably have a month to go.

A good way to learn is to start reading some journals. My journal is listed in my signature. You can go to Grow / Grow Journals / Journals in Progress and choose some that interest you.

Also it is a good idea to create a Journal and start documenting your grow. You will attract a lot of good growers here who will be happy to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom