Questions and reasons for hermies?

cranston1

For the first time after 8 plus years of growing, I dropped some seeds in my last cycle. I always use stable and proven clones. So there are never any males in my garden. Ever since this happened I've been trying to figure out the exact cause. Now I'm constantly on the lookout for pollen sacs and bananas. I realize there are many reasons a plant can hermie on you. Im at the end of my present cycle and no seeds. But I have noticed a few bananas poking through. I've read and heard that this can be completely normal at the end of the cycle. Its the plant knowing that there time is almost up and thats her way of trying to carry on the species. Is this nanner waiting to catch pollen or is this nanner producing pollen? What is the chain of events and what in order does this happen? Are the pollen sacs formed first, then burst and land on the banana. Which then produce seeds. Or do the pollen sacs burst and then the calyx absorbs the pollen and a seed grows inside the calyx? The more I read about it the more confused I get. I understand that stress and light leaks are the main cause for hermies. I would love to be more clear on the order that these things happen. Thank you for any input.

I learned from a few growers in Jamaica that keeping a few topped males around the grow supposedly eliminates the females from 'wanting' to turn herm out of procreational necessity.

Back
Top Bottom