Questions From Old Salt Dog

Rockproof

Hello all, I enjoyed your form as a spectator so decided I better jump in. This is my first post so bear with me folks.

I am just starting my research into doing some type of hydro gro. That said, I have many more days of planning to do but wanted to get opinions on some of the equipment I currently have (that was previosly used for reef tanks in addition to growing and propagating stony corals). Although it's not related to buds, I will try to post a pic later of what I was able to accomplish in the past on reef tanks with very good lighting, some great DIY equipment and diligent care.

These are mostly lighting related questions...

I have:

(1)- one PFO HQI eballast with dual 500 watt bulb capability. Does anyone know if this ballast will push HPS bulbs? I use to run 10,000k and 20,000k 500w Ushio MH bulbs off of this ballast. I would like to run HPS for flowering (could push 1000w if necessary) just don't know if an electronic ballast that is made to push MH can push HPS. Also, if I use this babe for vegging, I want to crank down the bulbs Kelvin to 5000-6500k MH. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this ballast can do these bulbs and if so, what is the best bulb for the buck?

(2)- two Blueline 500w eballasts. Same question as above, Can these push a HPS bukb? Also, I would more than likely use one of these bad boys for vegging so can I run a 5000-6500k bulb and if so, I am lookingh for some brand recommendations.

Thanks for any help on the questions above.

Last question for now, I will probably be doing a complete DIY system (this was all I did on my reef tanks inclusinbg calcium reactors, sumps, protien skimmers...) On a DIY, or any system, particularly as I don't like to learn on $89 seeds, acn anyone recommend a common plant that would have the same grow charateristics as a high stain can.? Same nute uptake, same water consumption, growth rate...I was thinking of tomoato plants to work the kinks out of a DIY hydro and gro room but am certainly looking for any and all recommendations.

Thank you all in advance for any replies. Reviewing this Form over the past several weeks has been very informative. It has my creative and inquisative juices flowing to do a kickin grow,

Sorry all, all of these ballasts (The Dual PFO and Bluelines) are rated for 400w MH bulbs. I saidf 500 in my last post.

Only switchable ballasts or the new digital ballasts run both bulbs. if these aren't one of the new ballasts or ones made to switch then it will only run the MH bulbs. The main difference is that a HPS requires a starter and the MH have the starter built into the bulb.

how about those mh conversion bulbs? how do they work?

Thanks for the reply Race. I am now sure (after some research) that the PFO HQI ballast will only push MH bulbs (coil and core tar). The Bluelines are still questionable though as they are electronic. I can't find anything saying they won't burn a HPS. Apparently most e ballasts have a chip in them that will recognize the bulb needs. Anyone with experience or knowledge of Blueline ballasts? Below are some specs..

Available in 175, 250, & 400 watt.
Water-resistant and completely sealed in an epoxy filled metal casing.
Up to 25% more energy efficient than core & coil ballasts.
Longer Lamp Life (+50%)
Runs cooler than core & coil ballasts - warm to the touch.
Will not cause lamp flicker that is associated with other electronic MH ballasts.
Will not hum like core & coil ballasts.
First electronic MH ballast available in 400 watts.
Does not need to be tuned to fire a specific lamp.
Compatible with almost all mogul base and double ended lamps.
Easily convert any existing fixture to use an E-Ballast.
Operating range: 90-260V 50/60 Hz AC.
Includes a 6ft power cord and a 12ft quick disconnect harness.
cUL Listed, FCC compliant

Thanks for the reply Race. I am now sure (after some research) that the PFO HQI ballast will only push MH bulbs (coil and core tar). The Bluelines are still questionable though as they are electronic. I can't find anything saying they won't burn a HPS. Apparently most e ballasts have a chip in them that will recognize the bulb needs. Anyone with experience or knowledge of Blueline ballasts? Below are some specs..

Available in 175, 250, & 400 watt.
Water-resistant and completely sealed in an epoxy filled metal casing.
Up to 25% more energy efficient than core & coil ballasts.
Longer Lamp Life (+50%)
Runs cooler than core & coil ballasts - warm to the touch.
Will not cause lamp flicker that is associated with other electronic MH ballasts.
Will not hum like core & coil ballasts.
First electronic MH ballast available in 400 watts.
Does not need to be tuned to fire a specific lamp.
Compatible with almost all mogul base and double ended lamps.
Easily convert any existing fixture to use an E-Ballast.
Operating range: 90-260V 50/60 Hz AC.
Includes a 6ft power cord and a 12ft quick disconnect harness.
cUL Listed, FCC compliant

Seems like it only refers to itself as a MH ballast. If it were switchable I would think they would be a great selling point they would not leave out of the description. You can always give them a call too and ask.

Back
Top Bottom