R.I.P. James Garner - A Fan Of Marijuana And Legalization

The General

James Garner, one of America's most iconic actors whose work in the 1950s TV Western "Maverick" and then "The Rockford Files" created two of popular television's memorable characters, died on Sunday. And, if his memoir "The Garner Files" can be relied upon, he likely had a puff or two of cannabis on his way down his last dusty trail.

From his memoir: "I started smoking marijuana in my late teens. I drank to get drunk but ultimately didn't like the effect. Not so with grass. Grass is smooth. It had the opposite effect from alcohol: it made me more tolerant and forgiving. "I smoked marijuana for 50 years. I don't know where I'd be without it. It opened my mind to a lot of things, and now it's active ingredient, THC, relaxes me and eases my arthritis pain. I've concluded that marijuana should be legal and alcohol should be illegal. But, good luck with that." Well, Jim, one out of two ain't bad. Happy trails.

Here's part of his obit by the Associated Press: Although he was adept at drama and action, Garner was best known for his low-key, wisecracking style, especially with his hit TV series, "Maverick" and "The Rockford Files." His quick-witted avoidance of conflict provided a refreshingly new take on the American hero, contrasting with the steely heroics of John Wayne and the fast trigger of Clint Eastwood. Well into his 70s, the handsome Oklahoman remained active in both TV and film. In 2002, he was Sandra Bullock's father in the film "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood." The following year, he joined the cast of "8 Simple Rules ... For Dating My Teenage Daughter," playing the grandfather on the sitcom after star John Ritter, who played the father, died during the show's second season.

When he received the Screen Actors Guild's lifetime achievement award in 2005, he quipped, "I'm not at all sure how I got here." But in his 2011 memoir, "The Garner Files," he provided some amusing and enlightening clues, including his penchant for bluntly expressed opinions and a practice for decking people who said something nasty to his face – including an obnoxious fan and an abusive stepmother. They all deserved it, Garner declared in his book. His favorite film, though, was the cynical 1964 war drama "The Americanization of Emily," which co-starred Julie Andrews.

Garner was born James Scott Bumgarner (some references say Baumgarner) in Norman, Okla. His mother died when he was 5, and friends and relatives cared for him and his two brothers for a time while his father was to California. In 1957, Garner married TV actress Lois Clarke, and the union prevailed despite some stormy patches. She had a daughter Kimberly from a previous marriage, and the Garners had another daughter, Gretta Scott. In the late 1990s, the Garners built a 12,000-square-foot house on a 400-acre ranch north of Santa Barbara. My wife and I felt ... we'd just watch the sunset from the front porch," Garner said in 2000. "But then the phone started ringing with all these wonderful offers, and we decided, 'Heck, let's stay in the business for a while.'"

James-Garner-The-Rockford-Files.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Seattlepi.com
Author: Jake Ellison
Website: R.I.P. James Garner - a fan of marijuana and legalization - The Pot Blog

Back
Top Bottom