Radogast's Non-420 Garden Creation Thread

There are hundreds of Heuchera's of every color and shape leaf. Quilted leaves, fan shapes, so beautiful and a plant I used to collect up north when I gardened in NY.

It makes absolutely no sense in Texas to garden using anything but native plants or very well adapted varieties. I have killed more plants than I care to admit trying to force a plant to grow where it does not want to be. Now I just dig it out, compost it and never plant it again...but I also make much better choices. Heuchera is a great woodland plant.

I give a plant one good chance to grow.

If it didn't want to grow, I don't try that plant again unless I really screwed up on the location (sunflowers in shade)

Correct. Plant in the wrong place not the plants fault. that reminds me, I need to put out my Mammoth Sunflower seeds. We must go through 100 pounds of black oil sunflower seeds a month! Everything eats those including the racoons at night.

We only put out Black Oil in the winter, about 25lbs a month alongside a songbird mix in same amounts.
Cayenne pepper treated suet year round. Currently a scoop a day of mixed seeds for the baby birds.

Last year we stored seed out in the shed, but we fed only on the porch in winter
This winter we will store the seed in the basement to avoid long walks in the snow :)

In order to qualify and maintain our certification as a Wildlife Backyard Habitat certified by TPW and WWF, we have to provide food, shelter, water and nesting areas for several species. Since they are tearing out enough space in the forest next to our development, I am feeding the birds more this summer than usual. A lot of their habitat has been completely removed. It is devastating.

You know when you have three or four Woodpeckers at the feeder at the same time, there is a problem with habitat.

In order to qualify and maintain our certification as a Wildlife Backyard Habitat certified by TPW and WWF, we have to provide food, shelter, water and nesting areas for several species. Since they are tearing out enough space in the forest next to our development, I am feeding the birds more this summer than usual. A lot of their habitat has been completely removed. It is devastating.

You know when you have three or four Woodpeckers at the feeder at the same time, there is a problem with habitat.

I can only imagine. It's tough to have new development disrupt the balance after you spent years finding your balance in the animal community.

Second Heuchera planted

20140818_190412.jpg

20140818_190434.jpg

20140818_190446.jpg

20140818_190501-1.jpg

20140818_190538-1.jpg

A fen is a type of mire/wetland. It is closely related to a bog.

Bogs and fens both have Sphagnum moss, peat moss, etc. The main difference is that a bogs is acidic while a fen is alkaline or ph neutral.
Boston tends to have fens (Fenway park near the Fenway)

I had to google the word, the first time I saw it, I liked your elaboration on fens & bogs so much that I copied & pasted it, in my yard, I left a gift for you & your better half, beneath my post. Thank you Rado, I did not think you would mind. GREAT SHARE!!:bravo:

that ground bypass, reminds me of me, did you grind off the little nub? I do that too. I hope BAR (Smokey the Bear) does not see that, lol. I'm still behind in here. I LOVE YOUR YARD!!!

I believe I cut off the nub with a pocket knife. It's been many years since modification :)

The last apartment I lived in was all 2-prong outlets (except for the four outlets I installed) rather annoying after years of living with 3 prong outlets and extension cords.

Talk about being behind... I'm all caught up except Cannafan's non 420 yard. Great photos. Talented. Pretty..
I'm on page 9 and losing ground :oops:

:rofl: thanks for the laugh, I'd bet you still carry that same pocket-knife, at all times. I just saw this in BARs (I've referred to him as Smokey the Bear) signature & it made me think of you & that modified ext cord, lol. it has been pasted below, I'm not worried about you, it's just to keep your wife safe. :cheesygrinsmiley:

"To all indoor growers: Please keep a fire extinguisher close to your grow area! We haven't and do not want to read about one of us having an avoidable catastrophic incident as most of our grows could be a potential fire hazard."

:circle-of-love:

:rofl: thanks for the laugh, I'd bet you still carry that same pocket-knife, at all times. I just saw this in BARs (I've referred to him as Smokey the Bear) signature & it made me think of you & that modified ext cord, lol. it has been pasted below, I'm not worried about you, it's just to keep your wife safe. :cheesygrinsmiley:

"To all indoor growers: Please keep a fire extinguisher close to your grow area! We haven't and do not want to read about one of us having an avoidable catastrophic incident as most of our grows could be a potential fire hazard."

:circle-of-love:

Hey now! My GROW area is freshly installed 12 gauge grounded Romex on a 20 amp circuit breaker by the actual manufacturer of the circuit box.
I'm only carrying about 14 amp load, so I'm good.

Those are the crafting room lights :) except for being used as trimming table, there's no 420 connection to my guerrilla install, just normal homeowner neglect :)

Yesterday, I took the day off work.
The side and I went on a little expedition to a grilled growers house.

A little smoking, a little bud sharing, watching the birds, conversion, another couple of joints, a smoke for the road.
I was designated driver, so limited myself to a puff tasting. Good taste. Sharp sour smell with fruity notes. Sharp little kick around the eyes slashing to chin and ears. Crystal clear, high function high.

And oh yeah, an expedition in a rowboat to harvest a clump of water lilies from the 24 acre pond.
I hadn't been out in a boat for almost 2 years. I loved it. :circle-of-love:

24 acre Lily Pond

20140821_140700-1.jpg

20140821_140722-1.jpg

Lilies at their new home in my .024 acre pond

20140821_180822.jpg

Yesterday, I took the day off work.
The side and I went on a little expedition to a grilled growers house.

24 acre Lily Pond

20140821_140700-1.jpg

Lilies at their new home in my .024 acre pond

Nice post :high-five:

That pond looks very familiar to me :hmmmm: Did you happen to see a thick rope? on a steep hill?

Did you use the rope? :circle-of-love:

Hey now! My GROW area is freshly installed 12 gauge grounded Romex on a 20 amp circuit breaker by the actual manufacturer of the circuit box.
I'm only carrying about 14 amp load, so I'm good.

Those are the crafting room lights :) except for being used as trimming table, there's no 420 connection to my guerrilla install, just normal homeowner neglect :)

:rofl: You know I just like to stir the pot & ruffle some feathers, Rado. It worked, lol. :greeen_heart:

Back
Top Bottom