Recreational Marijuana Tax Going Before Cottage Grove Voters In November

Christine Green

Cottage Grove - -Voters will decide in -November whether to tax recreational marijuana sold in the city.

City councilors voted 5-1 Monday night to add to the Nov. 8 ballot a 3 percent recreational marijuana sales tax proposition, Cottage Grove Mayor Tom Munroe said. "It's definitely going to be put on the ballot," he said Tuesday.

The third-largest city in Lane County, with a population of slightly fewer than 10,000 people, Cottage Grove is among the first in the state to put a local recreational marijuana tax before its residents.

Munroe votes on resolutions, along with the councilors. He said he voted for the addition of the local recreational marijuana tax issue to the ballot. One councilor, Jeff Gowing, was absent. Councilor Jake Boone cast the lone vote opposing the addition.

If approved, the city would be imposing an "unjustified tax on a small group," Boone said. "It is just a really bad precedent."

Boone, who is in his second term on the council, said he took a similar stance against a proposed restaurant tax intended to raise money for a city swimming pool. A member of marijuana advisory committees for the Oregon Health -Authority, which regulates medical marijuana, and the Oregon Liquor Control Commission, which regulates recreational marijuana, Boone worked as a manager for Apothecaria until about a month ago. The Cottage Grove dispensary sells medical and recreational marijuana, with four locations that sell recreational pot; the owners of three of the locations declined to speak on the record with The Register-Guard about the proposed tax. The fourth, Dianna Lee, who owns Mandy's Med Club, said last week that she supported the tax if it helps local government pay its expenses.

The tax might raise about $15,000 a year, Munroe said. The money would go to the city's general fund, which mainly covers personnel pay and benefits. The 3 percent local tax would come on top of a 17 percent sales tax on recreational marijuana collected by the state once the Oregon -Liquor Control Commission takes over the recreational pot program this fall.

Tax.jpg

News Moderator: Christine Green 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Recreational marijuana tax going before Cottage Grove voters in November | Local | Eugene, Oregon
Author: Dylan Darling
Website: Breaking local news, news updates, sports, business and weather | Eugene, Oregon

The city council in Salem OR did the very same a couple of weeks back.
I addressed the council regarding this. I was far from diplomatic unfortunately, more of ranted at them actually.
Shame on me for losing my cool but I was sooo pissed.....

fekking golden egg goose killers

Back
Top Bottom