Reflectors: Not all are made equal, new CMH Sunstorm vs Oldschool Sunking Batwing

Metal Halide

Reflectors, Not all are made the same

It's amazing how much of a difference a reflector can make.
I was lucky enough to stumble upon two secondhand HI-PAR Sunstorm reflectors (pictured below) which are designed for the 315w CMH ballast systems. At 80% off RRP i just had to get two of them and heres what i found.
Sunstorm-315W-S-One-2-600x600.jpg

It was so powerful that it literally doubled the output of my CMH globe but at a price which ultimately brought about its demise in my bloom tent.
Basically, it reduced the coverage from 3x3 to around 2x2. Past that point the falloff was incredible. It turned some of the hairs brown directly underneath it with the reflector as far up as possible. The only way this'd work for me is if I had two of them side by side short ways dimmed down to about 80% to be able to cover the 4ft short ways and 2-3ft long ways with some QBs filling out the edges of the tent on each side.
In the end, I switched to my good-old, never let me down, old-school, massive white Sunking reflector pictured below.
IMG_20190625_045036.jpg

Fucking love this beast of a thing, ive had it for donkeys years and its never missed a beat, not only did it drop the intensity underneath by almost half to 35k lux but evened it out across the middle section of my tent allowing me to bring down the light by a good foot, bringing the lux back to 50k and the edges to about 30k. Not only that but it also increased my overall temps by about 2-3 degrees Celcius which is a huge win for me since we are experiencing the coldest june in 30 years with multiple nights hitting zero and tops of 10 degrees Celcius. I've even had to bring my little heater in cause no way im going back to HPS brrrrrr

I think you made my mind up about trying a bat wing was thinking for my hps but now I'm gonna try it on my cmh I have a phantom hood and it has a very small footprint but it's a vertical bulb to so it's expected I just know it kicks ass in a 3x3

Back
Top Bottom