RI MMJ Patient/Caregiver arrested for Manufacture

Wingman420

Commercial Cultivator
Here is a story of another Patient / Caregiver who is arrested because the RI MMJ Law is not respected. This kid shot and killed an intruder armed with a gun who was in the process of robbing his apartment and is held without bail on marijuana charges. RI is crazy!

Here is the story as reported in projo.com:

Licensed pot grower faces drug charges after fatal shooting

[SIZE=-1]09:15 AM EDT on Friday, April 23, 2010

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By Gregory Smith

Journal Staff Writer
[/SIZE]

The Providence Journal / Mary Murphy

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A man who is licensed by the state to grow and smoke marijuana for his hypertension shot and killed a masked thief in his apartment last week.
He was in District Court on Thursday — but not because of the fatal shooting.
The attorney general’s office is prosecuting the man, Matthew A. Salvato, 22, of 902 Chalkstone Ave., over the scale and legality of his marijuana growing, not because of the shooting. The police are calling the shooting an apparent case of self-defense and justifiable homicide. A spokesman for the attorney general’s office, Michael J. Healey, said all aspects of the incident remain under investigation.
Salvato killed Alex Delasnueces, 26, also of Providence, in his apartment when Salvato interrupted a break-in by the victim, according to the police. Officers found marijuana plants in the house, as well as Delasnueces, who had been shot through the heart.
The police apparently seized all the marijuana, and they charged Salvato with the manufacture of marijuana, possession of marijuana with intent to deliver and two counts of having a firearm in the furtherance of drug offenses. At his arraignment April 16, he was ordered held without bail.
J. Patrick O’Neill, Salvato’s lawyer, asked Judge Elaine Bucci at a bail hearing Thursday to release his client on bail with a restriction such as home confinement. But Assistant Attorney General Pamela E. Chin objected — Healey said Salvato is a danger to the community — and Bucci ordered that Salvato continue to be held for now.
Both Salvato and his unnamed downstairs neighbor hold licenses under Rhode Island’s new medical-marijuana law and were cultivating crops, according to O’Neill. Their crops were consolidated illegally, the police allege, and the issue is how many plants and seedlings Salvato had. The neighbor has not been charged.
“When you’re talking about the medical-marijuana law, math is very important,” Healey said.
The neighbor is a state-licensed caregiver, according to O’Neill, which allows him to grow marijuana and possess plants, seedlings and loose marijuana for licensed patients. And one of his patients is Salvato, the lawyer acknowledged.
Salvato himself is both a licensed caregiver and a licensed patient, O’Neill said, apparently allowing him to have even more plants, seedlings and loose marijuana than the neighbor. Annemarie Beardsworth, a spokeswoman for the Rhode Island Department of Health, which oversees the medical-marijuana program, said the law allows the double licensing.

Neither the police, nor the attorney general’s office will say how many plants, seedlings and loose marijuana were seized and for what amounts Salvato is being held responsible. Healey said those aspects remain under investigation.
O’Neill, however, said outside court that Salvato legally had 48 mature and immature plants plus a number of seedlings and denied that his client was either illegally possesseing and distributing marijuana.
Bucci scheduled a follow-up hearing for Thursday to thrash out the complexities of the medical-marijuana law and to reconsider bail.
As explained by Beardsworth, the law allows a caregiver to have an unlimited number of patients, but to grow a maximum of 24 plants, to grow “a reasonable amount of unusable marijuana, up to 12 seedlings,” and to keep a maximum of 5 ounces of usable loose marijuana.
A patient may have a maximum of 12 plants, a maximum 12 seedlings and a maximum 2.5 ounces of usable loose marijuana.
The incident occurred, according to the police, on the morning of April 15, when Salvato, who lived alone in an apartment that took in the second and third floors of the house, arrived home with his girlfriend. They noticed that some items had been gathered together on the floor, as if they were to be stolen by a thief, and Salvato got his semiautomatic handgun.
He went to the third floor, called out that he had a gun and, as he related to the police, encountered Delasnueces, who wore a bandanna across his face and also carried a handgun. Salvato fired once and Delasnueces tumbled down the stairs and came to rest with his gun beneath him, according to Detective Capt. James Desmarais.
Investigators said they recovered three handguns; it is unclear who owns the third gun.
Healey said it is too early in the investigation to say whether Salvato may face a more serious charge regarding the shooting. But he said the vast majority of suspicious deaths are presented to a grand jury for consideration of an indictment.
To the police, the incident is further evidence of a flawed medical-marijuana law, which they say makes caregivers and patients targets of crime and is overly secretive.
O’Neill said his client had a gun because he lives in a bad neighborhood and because the neighbor had been the victim of a recent break-in.
“He wasn’t protecting his, quote, unquote stash,” O’Neill said.
gsmith@projo.com

The ADA Pamela Chin does not know RI MMJ Law and believes that no person can posess more than 12 Plants regardless of status and # Licenses. WRONG and we need protection from this tyrant who is wrongly incarcerrating innocent patients.

I guess RI is rough. So if he would have had 12 plants he would have been ok then or they wouldn't be trying to find some loop holes to nail him with?

Is this similar with you WingMan, I mean was it more then 12 plants that pursued them to go after you harder?

I guess RI is rough. So if he would have had 12 plants he would have been ok then or they wouldn't be trying to find some loop holes to nail him with?

Is this similar with you WingMan, I mean was it more then 12 plants that pursued them to go after you harder?

Yes because I am Caregiver to several patients and a Patient myself with a family member living here who is also a Caregiver the police can not comprehend anything other than 12 plants. As for pursuing me "harder" there are NO statutes that deal with alledged over limits MMJ patients LEO and the courts treat you as if you never had the Card and are a drug dealer.

As for Mr Salvato from the article he will be released on Home confinement bail and will be convicted it seems. He allegedly conspired to sell or did sell MMJ for $20/gram to his neighbors girlfriend (NO MMJ CARD) who will testify.
In RI a patient can give away freely without compensation MMJ to any other registered patient. A caregiver may recieve $$$ for meds from a patient he/she is registered with at the RI DOH and may be caregiver for up to 5 patients.

Any questions please let me know and THANKS!:thumb::welldone:

I just want to make clear the Providence Journal article is wrong on the amounts and limits under MMJ Law. Under the Hawkins-Slater Law a registered Patient may posess up to 12 Mature and 12 immature plants or 24 plants. A licensed Caregiver may only be registered to a maximum 5 Patients with a max of 24 mature plants and 12 immature or 36 plants.
This is the problem in RI nobody I have come in contact with knows the law.
I am hoping for the best but expect the worst!

Back
Top Bottom