Rookie

srjc

rsz_1rsz_31072011510.jpg

ok so im new to the indoor grow, first time for everything i say!
Anyways I've built this box 450mm x 450mm x 1800mm, sealed it against moisture, put reflective insulation panels in, next i built a dwc 20lt setup, with some modifications, instead of the root system actually being in the water, i have engaged a water pump onto a dribble feed, and have increased the airflow being pumped through the water 4 x 60cm flexible air-stones running off a SR-2500,also have the water heated to 20-22 degree celsius (to create a tropical effect) the medium im using is expandable clay. the lighting at the moment is that of a 48w = 240w (incandescent) cfl up close, no-more than a 2in away from the plant, as im waiting for a delivery of led light setup
so my question is "does all of this sound right for a indoor grow?":wood:

04-08-11_7_1_.jpg
04-08-11_4_1_.jpg
04-08-11_1_.jpg

well im at day 15 and so far so good its still alive, (hope you enjoy my pics) so im doing something right at the moment. the water temp is stable at around 20 -22 degrees celsius (68 - 72 degree Fahrenheit) and the box temp is stable at around 24 -27 degrees celsius (76 - 82 degree Fahrenheit) water level did drop but only slightly, i was running the light, 24hrs light 0 dark for 14 days and now have set the timer to run at 22hrs light 2 hrs dark..
the led lights i ordered have arrived, and i have them set on another baby, but it seems that the led lights i ordered are not as i was led to believe, my bad, so that baby is slow with growth, will look into a higher grade of led lights (damn you ebay)

any advise or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated :love:

have you looked into HPS lights,,, maybe a 400w or even a 250w.... i use MH and HPS bulbs, but i'm old school,,,, works for me,,,, good luck.......

Don't know if having more helps or henders. I'm sticking to 18/6. That is what seems to work and I 'm all for that. I have heard of people that keep their lights on for 24/7. I don't thnk this is a good idea. Nature doesn't have it's lights on for 24/7.

hi would love HPS lights, but i need to keep the costs down at the moment, as the old dollar is a bit on the short side, maybe next grow, hoping to be back at work then.. :)

over the weekend i will look into another cfl set, the one that i got is: 48w = 240w (incandescent) so i will double up on that, 240w cfl its the largest output i can find at the moment, (local hardware store) :)

i'll change the light timer down to 18/6 for a week, and see if the growth rate is different, cause i feel mine maybe a little slow after reading a few grow journals last night. :)

thanks for the reply ppls, it helps to get advise from others with experience, make it a little easier for me.....:)

just a quick update have added another cfl: 48w = 240w (incandescent) so that is 2 x 240w and reset the timer to 18/6..
also went for a quick trip into town to price HPS the guy there showed me a setup; reflector hood, globe 400w and power box = $245...(might do some online shopping to see if i can get it cheaper) The hood would need to be trimmed to fit into the box i have built already or i have to build a new box..........what a issue to have to build or not to build.......lol
:love:

well its day 18, and baby is looking good, ive included some pics, some of the twin light set ive put together, which is 2 x 48w cfls = 480w (240w@) was only running 1 at first but upon some sound advise ive gone with the two........
now question 1: would i be on the right track if i was to set up lights at the base of the baby also?
question 2: when should i tip it?
:hmmmm:

07-08-2011_9_1_.jpg
07-08-2011_7_1_.jpg
07-08-2011_6_1_.jpg
07-08-2011_1_.jpg
07-08-2011_11_1_.jpg

whats good scjr!!!
well im here with my chair!!! nice lookin setup you got there!! only thing i dont like is the aluminum sheeting that you have as a reflector, those could cause hot spots, you should get some Mylar or panda film there instead, or even take it down and paint the wall flat white!!! also, dont count the equivalence of wattage, you want to count the actuall wattage, so if your using 2 48 watt bulbs then you only have 96 watts...sorry to burst your bubble!!! but yea its better to fix something before it becomes the problem.

:peacetwo:

whats good scjr!!!
well im here with my chair!!! nice lookin setup you got there!! only thing i dont like is the aluminum sheeting that you have as a reflector, those could cause hot spots, you should get some Mylar or panda film there instead, or even take it down and paint the wall flat white!!! also, dont count the equivalence of wattage, you want to count the actuall wattage, so if your using 2 48 watt bulbs then you only have 96 watts...sorry to burst your bubble!!! but yea its better to fix something before it becomes the problem.

thanks for the advise astonr420 im always open to the advise of others as im a rookie, yes they sheeting is aluminum, but that of a foil, not a soild sheet, does that make a difference, i will post a thread detailing the insulation, i chose it for its zero fire rating, moisture resistant, eliminates heat flow down. But will look into the Mylar or panda film, today seeing that im going into town today.....(would they use the same name in down under aust)
i was wondering how the light was measured, thats why i would list both wattage's, i am glad you have corrected me there, im off to the hardware store to add another couple..

and thanks for your advise, it does help to make my life easier....
:thanks:

About the insulation Silver Batts are a unique, patented form of multi-layered reflective insulation and is the only insulation product ever to have received and Australian Design Award
Silver Batts are available in Single layer concertina, double layer and triple layer batts in 450 and 600mm widths, 1200mm length (suits 2400mm wall heights) and 1350mm lengths (for 2700mm wall heights). The triple layer is rated R6 for heat flow down and the double layer is rated R4 (the highest available) - depending on the installation of the Concertna single layer batts but they average an R value of 1.7

When tested they prevented 100% heat flow down.
Silver Batts Stop 100% of the sun's heat coming into your home through your ceiling and lowers the temperature by up to 12 deg C
They are 240% more effective than other types of insulation

Designed Specifically for Australia 's Harsh Climate.
Unlike bulk insulation, Silver Batts don't retain heat (a bad idea in our climate) they reflect it away from your home. Keeping the heat off your ceiling and out of your home.

Totally Eliminates Heat Flow Down - Roof space to room
University tests discovered that Silver Batts effectively eliminated the transfer of heat from roofs to living areas! Silver Batts can keep your home up to 12ºC cooler in summer!

Highly Efficient - Keeps Your Home Cooler in Summer and Warmer in Winter
Independent tests have found Silver Batts to be twice as effective in summer and equally as effective in winter as most comparably priced bulk insulation batts. And they have so many more advantages than bulk insulation!

The Most Effective foil Insulation
Silver Batts are 240% more effective than other types of insulation with "R" rating of up to R6 - no other insulation comes close to achieving these ratings.

4 X Zero Fire (or Ignitability) Rating - The Safest Ratings You Can Get (Aust Standards Tested)
On a scale of 0-20 some other insulation products rated as high as 17. Silver Batts rated 0 you can't get better. Put simply, you can't buy safer insulation than Silver Batts

Moisture Resistant - Will Not Absorb or Retain Water or Moisture.
It is impossible with high humidity to keep bulk insulation moisture free. In fact a 1mm wide gap is all that is needed for moisture to penetrate and a mere 1% of moisture in bulk insulation renders it up to 30% less effective. And of course moisture in insulation can contribute to mildew in your ceiling and dry rot in your roof structure. With Silver Batts you'll never have that problem.

Vermin Proof
Without using any chemicals, Silver Batts are 100% vermin proof naturally - no need for baits or chemical treatments.

Lifetime Performance Warranty
Silver Batts will work in your home for a lifetime - guaranteed!

Clean, Safe, Non-allergenic, Safe for Asthmatics
No fibre, fluff or chemicals makes this product clean, safe and especially good for people with allergies or asthma. Approved and recommended by the Asthma Foundation (Victoria).

Environmentally Friendly
Made from aluminium (the third most common element in the earth's crust) foil and Australian kraft paper produced from plantation timbers Silver Batts do not contain any dangerous chemicals and are fully recyclable.

:hmmmm:

whats good!!!
no it doesn't make a difference, you have to many bends on it. it should have as least amount of bends in it as possible. No worries, dude I only have 1 successful grow under my belt, I am still a rookie in my book, so its ok, we are all here to help each other!!!

Make sure you check out the 420 contests under lounge or simply click on my signature!!! 80k+ members and we only get like 50 - 60 votes!!! hope to see you in there some time!!!

whats good scjr!!!

i just got back in and i managed to get a some panda film, so i need to rip out the other stuff and replace it with the panda film, i also got a extra two lights, which im going to set onto the sides of the box,will be putting 2 x 20w, once i get it all done i will post pics,

pics as promised
09082011549_1_.jpg
09082011547_1_.jpg
09082011546_1_.jpg

how am i looking now? i know i should have more lights but haven't got around to putting the incoming/outgoing fans in yet, (slack ... i know ... lol) and i dont want to get to hot.......im sitting on average around 78 to 85 f
i also did a water change today with fresh nutes, thought today would be as good as any as i had to remove the baby to make the changes, hoping all this dont stress the plant too much...

:battingeyelashes: :love:

you are on your way on the right track now!!! its looking good!! just some more light just like you said!! very important at this stage!!! remember for seeds, they are going to have more under ground growth for the first month or so and then they will start taking off!!! but also your temps are ok, they are bearable temps right now, but you need a fan on then right now so the stalk can get nice and strong!!!

hey there ppls, just got back from a interstate trip. 4days i been gone and my baby is looking good apart from some minor leaf damage, my baby grew a little as she does and some leaves got burnt by the lights :-( otherwise all is good and after a quick trim of the burnt leaves and some excess leaf growth....will post pics after ive unpacked the camera...
:amen:

Hey srjc, looking good! Love those CFL. Actually you got enough lights for this one plant as is. The only thing I see you could improve is turning the large CFL from vertical to horizontal, like your smaller CFL.

Lights emitted from the sides more so on the tips for CFL. Where you have it now the tips is providing lights to the plant, which may not be enough and the sides are wasted lumen.

Suggestion; flip the two big CLF horizontally and add a reflective hood on top to reflect lights from the top side back down. You'll get the most out of your CFL this way. Unless you're doing vertical grow, if so your pant get more lumen by being away from the center and up against the wall, works best with multiple plants.

So far looking good!

twelve12; thanks for the input, will look at a new arrangement for the lights so that they can go sideways as you explained, may take a few days to sort it though, as im a rookie and this is my first im open to suggestions,
:high-five:

as promised pics are here, of my baby girl at 25 days, isn't she just beautiful.......:circle-of-love:
sorry guys she's my first and im proud as punch of her........lol

4_1_1.jpg
3_1_1.jpg
2_1_2.jpg
1_1_4.jpg

I think that you are doing very well for a first grow, you have tackled major issues well and have taken advice without insult. I like your setup. , In my opinion keep adding 6500K CFLs, imagine in your head the way you want you baby to grow and give lights accordingly. Must always make sure they have good food, Ck water levels frequently cause soon this baby-doll will be sucking up the fluids. When I grew plants in that kind of set up they grew immensely and needed refill every day or 2. I had massive yields as well.
Always adapt to the situation so you will have the healthiest baby possible. Healthy plant produces good fruit.
Also as your stems get larger you may want to train laterally to get many flower site but that will come.
You seem to be doing an awesome job!
Fin

Back
Top Bottom