Rooting hormone when I transplant

Daddytattoo

This might be a dumb question but if I sprinkled Alittle rooting hormone in when I transplant do u think it will help with root development?

Thanx bud. I noticed from my last grow"first time" that the roots didn't even hit the bottoms or sides of the 3 gallon pots. I make my own soil with my compost box which also has lots of worms in it. Wasn't sure if I could help the roots develop better.

I was checking out hydropontic stores somewhat close to me and the only one I found carried bush Doctor Kangaroots. Any thoughts on that. I live in a narrow minded state so I'm nervous about ordering stuff

I have great success with Great White from Plant success. Your root problem in your first grow is probably a combination of poor soil and drainage combined with the wrong watering techniques. Its a good idea to go ahead and spend the money for good quality soil...especially if you are just getting started growing. If your roots did not reach the bottom of the pot something is definitely wrong with what you are doing. If you follow my advice I can guarantee that you get good healthy roots and that makes for a much better harvest.

Start with good soil like Happyfrog or Ocean Forrest....Roots Organic or anything but your own mixed up soil. Trust me on this...especially with a indoor grow.

For a new grower I like to recommend at least 25 - 40 percent big chunky perlight mixed with your soil...this will drain well and make for a faster drying pot of soil. You see...marijuana roots love oxygen and the roots do most of their growing near watering time when the soil is really dry. They also like moisture and when you let the soil really dry out between waterings the roots will grow looking for moisture...trust me on this one...let the pots get really really dry between waterings. Then completly water the pot. I like to wait till the leaves droop down so I can get a good idea of how long to wait between waterings. Then when the pot is dry be sure to lift it and see how light it is when the soil is dry. Then water it really well...make sure the water reaches the bottom of the soil. Now lift the pot and see how heavy it feels when when the soil is wet. Now dont give it any water at all untill the pot is completely dryed out and its just before the leaves start drooping from lack of water. Haveing the chunky perlight in there will make it dry out quickly and also lets the water drain well. You dont want any standing water or mudd in the bottom of the pot. Remember plenty of chunky perlight when learning to grow. When the roots get oxygen and have to search for moisture you end up with killer roots. Also...the amount of vegetative growth is directly related to your root mass. Lots of healthy leaves and a bushy plant meens lots of good root development.

Learn how the PH of your soil works with marijuana!
OK....pay attention here. This is really really important stuff here and if you can understand this next paragraph it will save you alot of headache. Ok..did I mention that this is important! You must add pellitized dolomite to your soil unless it comes with it already. Even if it says it had dolomite already I add it anyway. Dolomite helps to buffer your soil and keep the soil PH where it needs to be which is between 6.1 and 7.0 for soil grows. If your soil ph is 6.5 - 6.8 this is perfect. I add 2-4 tablespoons per 5 gallons of soil.......OK this is how PH works in soil. Marijuana needs various elements to flourish, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphate, Iron,Nitrogen..ect ect. Each mineral is absorbed by the marijuana at different PH levels. For instance Nitrogen is absorbed between 5.9 and 7.5. If your PH of the soil drops under 5.9 then you get whats refered to as nitrogen lockout. Your growth stops and the leaves start to lighten and yellow as the plant is starved of nitrogen. Soooo...even if you have plenty of nitrogen food in your soil...the plant cant absorbe it and it appears to have N deficiency. Most new growers would make the mistake of feeding their plants nitrogen at this point...this just makes it worse because now your plant has to much nitrogen in the soil and is burned from the to much food and still the PH is to low and the plant cant eat the nitrogen...the leaves get more yellow which makes the new grower more worried and they in turn water to soon trying to add something to fix the problem...now you have overwatered over fed dying plant. Adding dolomite to your soil keeps the soils ph buffered and in the correct zone for nitrogen to be absorbed. Ok...the other minerals that marijuana needs are absorbed at other PH levels..I call this the PH window. Keep the PH between 6.1 and 7 and the marijuana can absorbe all the minerals. I have attached the chart so you can see how these minerals reside in the chart.

Marijuana.gif

To keep your soil from dropping or rising you need to adjust the PH of your water before it is watered. Use a 5 dollar test kit and buy some PH down and adjust it to 6.5 before watering. If you are feeding your plants then add the plant food to the water before testing and adjusting the PH. I would recommend getting a PH measuring pen for 25 bucks to measure the PH because after adding plant food its hard to use the color chart when testing with drops.

Ok...One more thing of feeding your plants. If you start with Happyfrog or Ocean Forrest soil you wont need to feed your plants anything but water for 3 weeks of vegging. Feeding to soon will burn the young roots and stunt their growth. Let the soil dry really well remember.

Ok...that was alot of typeing but I dont mind helping a new grower avoid headaches. I experianced all these problems when I started growing and wish I had had this info when I sarted If you follow this advice I guarantee a much better root ball and happy harvest.

Did I leave anything out...Sorry for the long winded reply

Cona

Back
Top Bottom