Ruling: No Religious Right To Marijuana

Johnny

PHOENIX — There is no religious right in Arizona to possess marijuana, the state Court of Appeals ruled Thursday, saying freedom of religion is not the same as freedom of action.

The judges rejected arguments that the First Amendment protections of free exercise of religion entitle an Arizona resident, Daniel Hardesty, to use marijuana as a "sacrament" of his church.

They said the state has the power to totally ban possession of the drug because of its known harmful nature.

But the judges left the door open to considering future arguments about the religious freedom to use marijuana.

They said, however, a defendant would have to prove that the drug is not as dangerous as the government suggests, something that did not occur here.

An appeal to the state Supreme Court is likely.

Hardesty was arrested in 2005 after being stopped by police while driving in Yavapai County. At trial, Hardesty testified he had been a practicing member of the Church of Cognizance since 1993. A church official said the religion, founded in 1991, is based on "neo-Zoroastrian tenets" and marijuana provides a connection to the divine mind and spiritual enlightenment.

Prosecutors never challenged the status of the church but persuaded the trial judge to exclude the religious-freedom claim. Hardesty was convicted and placed on probation for 18 months.

But Yavapai County Superior Court Judge Thomas Lindberg said then that Hardesty's claim of religious use of marijuana was not made "in bad faith," and that it was something Hardesty was "sincerely professing at the time."

Appellate Judge Sheldon Weisberg said the First Amendment encompasses two protections: the right to believe and the right to perform or abstain from certain acts for religious reasons. But the judge said though the first is absolute, the second is not.

In particular, Weisberg said, the state is free to enact certain restrictions on conduct so long as they are "neutral laws of general applicability." The state's ban on marijuana, he said, fits that definition.

The appellate court also brushed aside Hardesty's claim that his actions are separately protected by provisions in Arizona law. Those say government can "substantially burden" an individual's exercise of religion only if it is both in furtherance of "a compelling governmental interest" and is done by the "least restrictive means."

Here, Weisberg said, the Legislature expressed its interests by banning outright the possession and use of marijuana.

"This statute does not provide any religious exemptions nor does it contemplate an exemption for the use of marijuana that would be consistent with public health and safety," the judge wrote for the unanimous court. "By imposing a total ban, the Legislature has deemed that the use and possession of marijuana always pose a risk to public health and welfare."

And Weisberg said the courts are not in a position to second-guess that decision.

But attorney Daniel DeRienzo, who represents Hardesty, criticized the position of prosecutors that allowing church members to use marijuana would result in serious harm.

He called that "the Reefer Madness argument," referring to a 1936 propaganda film that claimed high schoolers lured into marijuana use engaged in manslaughter, suicide and rape, and descended into madness.

Weisberg acknowledged that Arizona courts have allowed the possession of p****e for religious use by the Native American Church.

But he said prosecutors in that case never showed that p****e was addictive or being used in quantities harmful to the health of the participants.

Anyway, the judge added, the long and continuous use of pey*te by a "discrete and well- defined group" makes it different from drug-use claims by other religions.

In this case in particular, the judges said the tenets of this church make its potential use more widespread than just at discrete religious services.

They noted the church is organized into individual "monasteries" with no dedicated house of worship, and each monastery is free to establish its own worship times.

Newshawk: JohnnyPotSmoker: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Arizona Daily Star
Copyright: 2008 Arizona Daily Star
Contact: Letter to Editor: Ruling: No religious right to marijuana | www.azstar.com
Website: Ruling: No religious right to marijuana | www.azstarnet.com

Just another case of overruling the constitution. If you look back in history Marijuana has been used in religious ways for thousands of years. Including Native Americans I feel this is just another case that should be fought further!!

A stoner comes up with a cockamaimy church and tries to get around a bad law by pretending to be a preacher.

I wish stoners had more respect for truly religious folks, more respect for sick folks and more respect for themselves than pretending to be preachers, ill or honest.

It's a lousy stupid law. That lousy law doesn't justify pretending to a nonsense religiosity (mocking the Native American Church that is allowed to use pe*te in its ancient rituals) any more than it justifies pretending illness (mocking those who realy need the herb as medicine).

Let's make it legal without making ourselves liars.

In Native American rituals they used Pe*te, it's a really small cactus not a 5 foot plant. I'm from Texas so i kinda know about Native Americans.

David024

You need to read more you seem to miss at least my point. I am 60 retired and have taken up the cause to end the War on the American People aka war on drugs. I do not advocate using drugs I feel this is a personal decision. But I will fight for your right to make that personal decision. To be made without fear of a nazi like government that says if you make that wrong decision I will put you in jail for 20 years, take all your possessions and ruin your life, as you know it. You should go to November Coalition’s web site and read the personal stories of a few of the two million Americans locked up for being Americans and living in the land of the free. My point is if you want to start a church and use marijuana for services I will fight for your right to do just as you please as long as you don’t hurt anyone, it should be your right as an American!

My native Americans came from Arkansas and they love weed!!!!!!!!!!!

Again with the "you seem to miss at least my point"

In the above quote which is the the post I was replying to. The only damned point I see is that you're native americans liked pot... not...

"I am 60 retired and have taken up the cause to end the War on the American People aka war on drugs. I do not advocate using drugs I feel this is a personal decision. But I will fight for your right to make that personal decision. To be made without fear of a nazi like government that says if you make that wrong decision I will put you in jail for 20 years, take all your possessions and ruin your life, as you know it. You should go to November Coalition's web site and read the personal stories of a few of the two million Americans locked up for being Americans and living in the land of the free. My point is if you want to start a church and use marijuana for services I will fight for your right to do just as you please as long as you don't hurt anyone, it should be your right as an American! "

So don't tell me I missed your point because i never saw anything in that post pertaining to our rights as americans.

i have been to the gathering of elders(a meeting of tribal and religious leaders). attended numerous ceremonies. i have talked with tribal elders from all around north america, miwok, piute, deleware, cherokee, apache, iroqouis, cheyene, lakota and others i forget. i have never heard any answer from any of them except "indian people traditionally did not smoke marijuana". today lots of indians smoke marijuana but that has nothing to do with native american traditions.

in 1549 angolan slaves brought cannabis with them to the sugar plantations of northeastern brazil.

marijuana was intentionally introduced to north america in jamestown in 1611 as a fiber plant

its just not true that native americans used marijuana traditionally. if you can find any reliable source that says otherwise i would love to know about it. i just spent quite awhile searching google for any references of tradional indian use and could find nothing. its a stoner myth. i wish it was true.

Originally Posted by hood1
My native Americans came from Arkansas and they love weed!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm sure they do. but not traditionally.

Originally Posted by David024
i'm from Texas so i kinda know about Native Americans.
i've been to mcdonalds so i kinda know about cattle.

Well regardless of what everyone thinks. I believe that cannabis is the tree of life and no one or no govt will ever change my mind. It is the most benefical plant to the human race and I not just talking about medicene. Harry Angslinger (sp?) once said at a congressional meeting trying to ban weed. Which he did with mostly lies and half truths but i think he was spot on with this one. Cannabis has such pacifist effect that our boys wont want to goto war. Now i'm not saying that to stop our troops going to war but what about the world if it has such an effect wouldn't that be an amazing thing . No one wanting to goto war wouldn't that i dont know heal the nations? God forbid we all become a little more peaceful

I get a little fired up from time to time sorry. Truce, cool we are all working for the same thing I think? Just have different ways of expressing it. It’s all good!

Back
Top Bottom