Sacramento Man On Trial For Taking Pot On Airplane

Warbux

Matthew Zugsberger checked his luggage at Sacramento International Airport in December 2008, with marijuana bags concealed in a metal dominoes case and duct-taped inside a wetsuit.

He cleared security with another stash in his pants.

On Tuesday, the ex-deep sea diver – who says he has used marijuana to treat his pain since crushing vertebrae in an oil platform accident – went on trial in Sacramento Superior Court on felony charges that could land him in prison for four years.

He also took the stage – and the witness stand – in a test case over how much medical pot is suitable for possession and transport for personal use.

Prosecutor Satnam Rattu argued there is only one conclusion to draw from Zugsberger's attempt to take more than 3 pounds of marijuana on a flight to New Orleans: He intended to sell a lot of pot.

"Medical marijuana is legal in California to a certain extent," Rattu told the jury. "This case exceeds those limits."

But Zugsberger's defense lawyer, Grant Pegg, told jurors Zugsberger had ample reason to be carrying that amount: a legitimate medical condition and a physician's recommendation.

Dr. Milan Hopkins, a former general practitioner who runs a Mendocino County "alternative medi-spa" featuring herbal treatments and laser hair removal, gave Zugsberger his clinic's standard recommendation. It reads: "Any one of my patients may need to grow 25 mature plants and possess 5 pounds of cannabis for their yearly medical needs."

Zugsberger, who turned 34 Tuesday, argues that authorities had no right to arrest him or take his pot once they realized he was a medical marijuana patient with a recommendation that more than covered the amount he possessed.

He hopes his case will be bolstered by a Jan. 21 California Supreme Court ruling that found the state cannot impose limits on the amount of pot that medical marijuana users can grow or possess.

A Sacramento police detective testified Tuesday that Zugsberger had enough pot to smoke every two hours for a year. But the legal discussion focused less on how much pot medical users are able to smoke than on how much they can eat.

Zugsberger testified he was taking the marijuana to New Orleans so that his ex-wife, a gourmet cook, and another master chef could meld it into pasta and ice cream for his use, because he has difficulty smoking.

He told jurors he ingests at least 13 grams of pot a day, "some smoked, mostly eaten," and that he consumes up to a quarter-pound on days of extreme nausea or pain.

"My tolerance is up there," he said.

The prosecution showed little tolerance for the defense's expert witness, Chris Conrad, a marijuana legalization advocate who once won a marijuana "freedom fighter" award from High Times magazine.

Conrad said it is common for medical users to possess as much as 3 pounds of marijuana, particularly if it is being used in food, which diminishes the potency.

Rattu, the prosecutor, pointed out that Conrad has no formal medical training. And he read a passage from Conrad's writings portraying medical marijuana advocates as "patriots" akin to abolitionists who helped free slaves.

Despite the state Supreme Court's decision tossing out limits for medical pot possession, legal observers say Zugsberger is not necessarily protected by his physician's recommendation.

"I don't think a 5-pound recommendation could stand up in court for any medical condition," said Gerald Uelmen, a Santa Clara University law professor and an attorney in the Supreme Court case.

Uelmen represented Patrick Kelly, a Long Beach man who said he was using marijuana for back problems and depression. Kelly was charged with possession for sale for having 12 ounces of marijuana.

The Supreme Court threw out Kelly's conviction, saying the Legislature improperly amended the Proposition 215 medical marijuana law by restricting medical users to 8 ounces of dried pot.

Aaron Smith, California director for the Marijuana Policy Project, which advocates rolling back possession laws, said the court decision hasn't stopped police from arresting medical marijuana users based on how much they are carrying.

If Zugsberger "is a legitimate medical patient, he should get his medicine back and be left alone," Smith said.

Last year, after Zugsberger and a girlfriend pleaded guilty to misdemeanor possession in Washington, a judge agreed to return 10 pounds of pot. He has another case pending for 2 pounds sent to his former home in New Orleans.

News hawk: Warbux 420 Magazine
Source: The Sacramento Bee.
Author: Peter Hecht.
Copyright: The Sacramento Bee.
Website: Sacramento man on trial for taking pot on airplane - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

Rattu, the prosecutor, pointed out that Conrad has no formal medical training. And he read a passage from Conrad's writings portraying medical marijuana advocates as "patriots" akin to abolitionists who helped free slaves.

I think that is a great analogy. We are trying to free the weed so we can free the people.

I have been wondering about this sort of thing as I was thinking what would I do if I go on a trip somewhere? Or is traveling on an airplane with the candy different? I was also wondering about crossing the border into Canada with the kief candy?

I have been wondering about this sort of thing as I was thinking what would I do if I go on a trip somewhere? Or is traveling on an airplane with the candy different? I was also wondering about crossing the border into Canada with the kief candy?

I think i would be careful about taking ANYTHING across the international borders.Smuggling laws being what they are and all. :roorrip:

i would be careful crossing any borders, national or international. when you cross a border thats when you come into conflict with the fed laws. the safe thing to do would just assume if there is a border involved you'll be breaking the law.

There is a lot more to this story than what is in print here.

Last I knew in SF they were letting people take their Medicine onto flights.
Unless it is because he wasn't flying "In state? But it wasn't worded in state only medicine travel that I have seen in the past.

They are VERY understanding in SF so that is what makes me wonder what is going on with this story.

I am thinking that since the UN incident that the feds obviously put them up to.
That they maybe have "Re Instructed" and a recently in CA. to the baggage checkers to not let this happen?

Either way this cannot be tolerated.

Oakland International Airport may be the nation's only airport with a specific policy letting users of medical marijuana travel with the drug.

The policy is spelled out in a three-page document quietly enacted last year by the Alameda County Sheriff's Office. It states that if deputies determine someone is a qualified patient or primary caregiver as defined by California law and has eight ounces or less of the drug, he or she can keep it and board the plane.

Deputies warn the pot-carrying passengers that they may be committing a felony upon arrival when they set foot in a jurisdiction where medical marijuana is not recognized. But they say they don't call ahead to alert authorities on the other end.

"We never have. We're certainly within our right to, but we never have," said Sgt. J.D. Nelson, a spokesman for the sheriff's office. "Our notification of the passengers is for their own safety and well-being."

Got Pot? Fly From Oakland

I think SFO now allows up to 8 (see next post)

He was taking 3 pounds...which might be part of the problem. Oakland is not supposed to care if you are going some place where medical cannabis is not allowed, they say they won't call ahead to alert authorities...but, you would still be breaking Federal laws by going out of state...

I agree...taking medicine across international boarders is a very bad idea. There are several mail order places that ship within Canada...no need to take that risk...

Medical marijuana allowed at SFO, Bay Area airports

Medical marijuana patients can now travel with the drug through San Francisco International Airport, as well as other Bay Area airports, the Mercury News reports.

Passengers who are card-carrying patients are permitted to carry up to 8 ounces of dried cannabis, in compliance with San Francisco city policy. It is up to the city's police, who patrol the airport, not the airport officials or TSA officers, to decide if a passenger can travel with the pot.

In the past, police at SFO and San Jose airport were told to make the call on whether the passenger could travel with the drugs, but a report was likely filed to federal authorities who then decided whether or not to follow up with charges. But this week that all changed as the Department of Justice directed US attorneys to leave passengers alone traveling with the drug if they are in compliance with state laws.

Nathan Sands, vice president of the Compassionate Coalition, a Fairfield-based nonprofit medical pot advocacy group, told the Mercury News that despite technically being able to fly with medical marijuana, passengers are often too fearful of airport officials and police to bother traveling with the drug.

"It's clearly a good thing that airports such as Oakland and SFO allow patients to be able to travel with their medicine. That's a positive policy," Kris Hermes, spokesman for the Oakland-based advocacy group Americans for Safe Access, told the Mercury News. "Some patients cannot be without their medicine for more than a few hours."

Of course, patients using the drug should consult the state laws of their final destination. More than 30 states do not allow the use of medical marijuana, and if a Bay Area traveler transports the drug to one of those states--despite being able to leave the area with it--they could be prosecuted by local officials upon landing. --Rebecca Heslin

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: usatoday.com
Copyright: 2010 USA TODAY
Contact: Contact Us: Feedback, Comments & Suggestions - USATODAY.com
Website: Medical marijuana allowed at SFO, Bay Area airports - Flights: Airfare, flight tracker, delays, miles tracker & airport news - Today in the Sky - USATODAY.com

Airplanes are under federal law. Marijuana is a violation of federal law. Also he intended to sale the 3 pounds of pot in Louisiana where marijuana is not legal. There are consequences for his actions.

Back
Top Bottom