Scores Of Medical Cannabis Rallies Boost Wisconsin's Jacki Rickert MMJ Act

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Wisconsin’s medical cannabis movement has matured into a fully state wide effort. There were scores of rallies Saturday at Wisconsin Wal-Mart’s supporting AB554 and protesting the chain’s firing of a Michigan medical marijuana patient with cancer. People spoke up, stepped up, organized their first medical cannabis events ever. Saturday, March 27, 2010 truly represents the high-water mark of this movement so far, and shows that Wisconsin advocates have statewide reach and influence.

Eau Claire, La Crosse, Berlin, Green Bay, Onalaska, Stevens Point/Plover, Oshkosh, Appleton, Fond du Lac, Madison, three Milwaukee Wal-Marts, Waukesha, Hartford, Kenosha, Racine and West Bend were among locations reporting rallies.

The events received media coverage both before and after in print, online and television. The Madison rally at the East Side Wal-Mart on Nakoosa Trail that I was at was covered by both WKOW (Ch. 27) as well as WMTV (Ch. 15). Footage from Madison aired on Fox 6 in Milwaukee. WEAU in Eau Claire covered the rally there. And there was other tv coverage across the state including Fox 11 Green Bay.

According to reports from attendees filed on the Facebook page Wisconsin Residents for Assembly Bill 554 and other sources, the day went quite well for the most part, with strong public support at every location. In Eau Claire, about 20 activists showed up to protest at a Wal Mart at Oakwood Mall. Eau Claire police and mall security then forced them to move across the street where they continued to rally. There were "lots of honks and lots of support," according ton activists on the scene. Green Bay activists also encountered some hostility from Wal Mart employees and local police.

Kudos to the two medical cannabis activists who made up the Stevens Point/Plover rally. They held their ground, reporting, "Cops stopped by and said the Wal-Mart manager had received 'complaints', and kept suggesting we stop before we 'violate an ordinance'." In other locations though, law enforcement actually helped those rallying to find legal locations on public property adjacent to store locations. An "Activism 101" effort is underway to educate participants in future rallies to avoid conflict with store security or police while maintaining their First Amendment free speech rights to protest peacefully.

At the Hwy 100 and Layton Ave. Wal-Mart in the Milwaukee area, activists were "kicked out" before moving on to another. At Waukesha's Wal-Mart, a number of activists held signs for 3 hours, finding much local support there.

Many of the rallies were organized by local patients and activists who have stepped up to support for the JRMMA every way they can. Wisconsin NORML Field Director Jay Selthofner, on the many first time event organizers around the state who helped make Saturday a success, "One group called me and said, 'Jay, I am in the car in the parking lot and I do not see anyone'. I asked him how many people he had with him, he said 'Three', I asked if he had signs, he said 'Yes', I told him 'You are the protest, get out on the sidewalk', he said 'Oh, I see now' and they had a great time!"

Looking ahead to the coming week, the JRMMA offensive continues with a number of events, as well as the pending airing of IMMLY's tv ad in parts of Wisconsin. The ad features Wisconsin patients and urges supporters to call their legislators.

On Wednesday March 31 there is a Medical Cannabis Forum at UW-Whitewater including the Traveling Hemp and Cannabis Tour exhibits. The event features myself, (Gary Storck) speaking ion favor of the JRMMA and Dr. David Nordstrom, a Professor of Counselor Education at UW-Whitewater, against, followed by questions provided selected from those submitted by audience members. The discussion runs from 5:30-6:30pm in the Old Main Ballroom (UC-275) on campus.

The Traveling Hemp and Cannabis Tour will be in Lodi, Thursday April 1, north of Madison in Columbia Count, at the Lodi Woman's Club Public Library. The Library is at 130 Lodi Street in downtown Lodi. Speakers will include WI NORML Field Director Jay Selthofner, Lodi area resident and Iraq War vet and former Marine Sgt. Erin Silbaugh, myself and other patients and advocates.

On Saturday April 3, Wisconsin medical cannabis supporters will head to Milwaukee's East Side for a benefit for Wisconsin NORML and IMMLY at the Miramar Theatre . The Miramar Theatre is at 2844 N. Oakland Ave. Milwaukee. The event will feature live music from three of Wisconsin's premier bands Weapons of Mass DeFunktion, SLM and Recalcitrant. Doors open at 6:30 pm and the show runs until 1am the following morning. There will also be speakers including Jacki Rickert, myself, Teresa Shepherd, Jay Selthofner, Dan K. Schroeder and others, as well as door prizes, info on IMMLY, WI NORML and the JRMMA, and NORML merchandise.

Also on April 3, the T.H.C. Tour "Talking Hemp and Cannabis" will be at the Plymouth Public Library, from 12:00pm - 2:30pm in Plymouth WI.

And yet another Saturday event: Medical Marijuana Awareness Mixer featuring Baghdad Scuba Review on April 3 at 10:00pm at The Cold Shot,, 633 W Wisconsin Ave, Appleton WI.

mmjhcbanner.jpg

Madison activists banner at Wal-Mart

EauClaire.jpg

ecprotest.jpg

Activists rally in Eau Claire

Jacki Rickert MMJ Act tv ad that will soon be televised in parts of the state.​
YouTube - NORML_final_MED.mov

Some ways to help pass the JRMMA:

* Watch IMMLY's TV ad and make a donation to get it on the air!: JRMMA.org.

* Contact WI Medical Society to protest opposition to AB554 and 3/23 MMJ patient harassment at SMS
Phone: 866.442.3800 (toll-free)
Physicians Page | Wisconsin Medical Society
Email: communications@wismed.org

* Send pre-written, editable letter to Legislators:
Contact Officials - NORML or
Contact Officials - NORML
* Find out Who Represents you and their contact information: Who Are My Legislators?
* Call your Legislators: Toll-free Legislative Hotline: 1-800-362-9472
* Send a Letter to the Editor of a local or state paper:
MapInc

Some of the high points of our 2009-2010 Cannabis Activism.

Back
Top Bottom