SCROG made out of Hemp?

Ncfinestbud

I am a crafty person and have a little time on my hands and i was wondering if there are any weird chemicals in hemp twine that would burn my ladies if i weave a scrog net out of hemp. I also thought about just washing off the rope in the tub for a minute with hot water before. Any suggestions?

well i made it and soaked it in hot water dried it and draped it over my ladies. ill post some pics. i dont think that itll burn under my lamp i have my fan going across the top of it. so far it works great and only took about half an hour to make.

It's not so much the lights during norml use, that may catch it on fire,
it's those ab-norml times you have to worry about.

Like when you forget to put the glass shield backup after changing a bulb
and you start spraying wet things around
and the bulb blows up :cheesygrinsmiley:

Your plants won't burn, they are wet and green
But if you have a net for your scrog screen, you maybe to busy to notice it burning as you run to stop the bleeding from the glass that blew into your hand.
There goes you out the door and there goes the twine up in flames :cheesygrinsmiley:
Go get some chicken wire, 1/2 inch mesh or larger.

Safety First and Foremost fellas :cheesygrinsmiley:

i only have a 400w and i only foliar feed right before the lights come on so no wet around hott bulbs.

That's not a scrog anyway. That's a hemp trellis. A scrog canopy is 100% controlled. A healthy plant will push that hemp rope right out of the way and take over. But it doesn't matter. If the site owner says don't post pics of it then you don't post pics. I'd use the right stuff for the job. Chicken wire is best. This is what a properly controlled scrog looks like.
7_weeks_in_flower_2.JPG

i went and picked up some chicken wire. Just wanted to find yet another use for hemp but good lookin out. With the chiken wire i lightly pressed down on the tops of the plants will this fuck up the calyxs or will they just grow around them? Also in the likely event that one plant will be ready for harvest before others will i have to carefully cut the plant out of the scrog?

I think a lot of folks really miss the whole point of scrog.

You start with clones all the same size, way below the wire(10 - 12 inches).
As they go through the flowering stretch and the first month of flowering,
the main branches are kept below the wire
while the bud sites and nodes are aligned with the mesh opening
and allowed to grow up through the wire.
You end up with a carpet of buds that are harvested at one time.

Check this out:
What is SCROG - Screen of Green?
"The scrog method
The essential detail of the scrog method is a screen, usually poultry netting, typically suspended between the planting medium and the lamp. The plants grow up to the screen and then are "trained" under the screen, resulting in a flat table of plant growth, a field rather than a forest. Because all the buds are growing at the same height, it is possible to get all the growth within the effective circle of light from the lamp, maximizing production from the space. It's really that simple.

Well, nothing new under the sun, the method has been used for years. In modern terms, the method was first popularized on the internet by the work of pH on the usenet group Alt Drugs Pot Cultivation, or "ADPC" for short. You can access ADPC from several web-based sources, and pH still posts there regularly. But the method as initially used by pH was designed to tweak production from a large area under fluorescent lights, like the "multi-shelf" method explained in his article on N.P. Kaye's Lycaeum site. N.P. Kaye is in fact credited with the term "screen of green", which pH shortened to "ScrOG".

I am aware of a least one grower who used scrog and HID lights before that time, based on a mention in Robert Clarke's book "Marijuana Botany", which was also a source for pH. But most work involving scrog and HID lights is quite recent. It is noted by pH that the first "yield-o-rama" post for HID scrog was in July of 1997. I became aware of the method from a medical grower in the final days of the Hemp B.C. boards, Savapalet, a posting buddy of Aeric 77."

my modified SCROG method is more like individual screens on each bucket/plant

very low tech one foot square chicken wire on each after some LST [low stress training] to get the girl to have all her branches spread out and i just let the screen lay on the plant and the growing tips go through or i gently pull them through if i want to get a pattern or something to get a nice even canopy thats all about the same height
for easier budding and better uniformity in buds unless i have to move thing around a lot during flowering this works fine if i plan a watering access gap between buckets also using a small 2 cup measuring cup makes watering tight spots easier and i have a good general idea of water consumption for knowing how much of single use batch of nutes i will need

you could use short pieces of hemp twine and nuts [for bolts ] to train branches to
spread out you don't tie it tightly put it between two nodes and let the nut hang in the air to use gravity as a constant attendance trainer and its easy to just
cut the twine off when its done being needed

i usually use big fuzzy pipecleaners instead of twine to do this myself

but this is one suggestion for using more hemp products in your grow which seemed to be the intent i saw

i understand that a screen is to be placed early on but i underestimated the potential height problems i would face in the flowering phase, i thought that 40 inches would suffice but my tops were getting closer than 12 inches to my light and my canopy was very uneven so i decided to use a scrog to help deal with this issue because its all a learning experience anyway and what better way to learn than to try it. But thanks for the advice.

I have only 2 grows under lights, and I used a net fence from lowes. squares 2inx2in durable plastic type for short fencing. Easy for me to wrap to the frame with cable ties (my new best friend) and I dont have to take it down when I clean the whole shebang. Doesnt rust. BUt I havent used anything else so I just improvised thinking of the chicken wire. And for me I cannot deal with the rough edges of chicken wire.. Ok call me a pansy but that is me.
I love the canopy and training the plants maybe cause I just like to touch them too...

Back
Top Bottom