Secret Jardin hs40 minimun CFM for filter

SecretNoMore

420 Member
Hello, what would be the minimum flow needed for a carbon filter? The tent is rated at 50cfm for 1minute air exchange but filter has a rating of ”optimal cfm 240, max 360”

so would there be a problem if I ran it at 50cfm?

Hello, what would be the minimum flow needed for a carbon filter? The tent is rated at 50cfm for 1minute air exchange but filter has a rating of ”optimal cfm 240, max 360”

so would there be a problem if I ran it at 50cfm?
If your tent needs 50 CFM to exchange the air every minute without a carbon filter, then I would run the exhaust fan from 75-100 CFM with the carbon filter installed. Also, the length of your duct run also comes into play here. There are some good videos online that will explain tent ventilation very easily, as I don’t have all the info.

Mohave beat me to it. CFM is the start for the room, the 25% for duct resistance, 25% for filter resistance. You want to vent the room between 3-5 times every 5 minutes or so. I over buy an extraction fan then use a controller to dial it back.
10687E6F-3B95-4CF2-A6A7-EC48E4BA0610.jpeg

Does your exhaust fan have speeds?
Yes it does have from 0-100%, also it’s at 370cfm not 270cfm like I said in my first post.
If your tent needs 50 CFM to exchange the air every minute without a carbon filter, then I would run the exhaust fan from 75-100 CFM with the carbon filter installed. Also, the length of your duct run also comes into play here. There are some good videos online that will explain tent ventilation very easily, as I don’t have all the info.
The tent is rated at 50cfm WITH a filter apparently, but the question is will the filter work just fine with this low airflow? The filter is big and rated at max 360cfm, optimal at 240cfm.
Mohave beat me to it. CFM is the start for the room, the 25% for duct resistance, 25% for filter resistance. You want to vent the room between 3-5 times every 5 minutes or so. I over buy an extraction fan then use a controller to dial it back.
10687E6F-3B95-4CF2-A6A7-EC48E4BA0610.jpeg
Thanks for the reply, however the fan has a built in speed controller.
I hope you guys understand my question, the tent is 40cm by 40cm and height is 120cm. I know, tiny growtent for just one plant

I may not be understanding (wouldn’t be anything new lol) but I think the fan would have to work pretty hard to overcome the resistance of the filter. No filter expert, it might work just fine, but I try to make the equipment not have to work harder than it has to. My 2cents. I try to match the extraction fan to the room to the filter. But I dont know what an optimal cfm rating is on a filter - I guess best air passage against the activated carbon? If it pushes air through without obstruction it will work, it just might have to work harder to do so. Maybe think of blowing into a straw filled with cotton vs carbon. There would be back pressure on the carbon straw, all things being equal.

I may not be understanding (wouldn’t be anything new lol) but I think the fan would have to work pretty hard to overcome the resistance of the filter. No filter expert, it might work just fine, but I try to make the equipment not have to work harder than it has to. My 2cents. I try to match the extraction fan to the room to the filter. But I dont know what an optimal cfm rating is on a filter - I guess best air passage against the activated carbon? If it pushes air through without obstruction it will work, it just might have to work harder to do so. Maybe think of blowing into a straw filled with cotton vs carbon. There would be back pressure on the carbon straw, all things being equal.
I read some people say it’s even better if the fan is slower, but I don’t know either. I hope someone can tell me if 50cfm would work with a carbon filter

Hello guys, my tent requires only 50cfm with a filter for 1minute air exchange according to manufacturer

now the filter I have has a rating of max 360cfm, optimal at 240 cfm by manufacturer

So would there be a problem if I turn down my fan to 50cfm and run it with the filter? Would the filter still work if I push air in it (not suck thru it)? Thanks in advance!

The reason this is so confusing is because those ratings that you listed are in cubic meters per hour, or CMH. So, if your optimal airflow is 240 CMH, then that would be 141.2587 cubic FEET per minute, or 141 CFM. If you need to make these conversions, just go online and use a CMH to CFM calculator.

I read some people say it’s even better if the fan is slower, but I don’t know either. I hope someone can tell me if 50cfm would work with a carbon filter
No, that would not work. You are reading 50 cubic meters per hour, not 50 cubic feet per minute. Whoever made that tent really didn’t want to help anyone make this easier, lol. And that’s not the overall exchange rating, although it appears that way in that manual. It looks like they are telling you to add that amount, if you are running it with a filter attached.

What’s the tent size, and how long is your duct run, in feet?

The reason this is so confusing is because those ratings that you listed are in cubic meters per hour, or CMH. So, if your optimal airflow is 240 CMH, then that would be 141.2587 cubic FEET per minute, or 141 CFM. If you need to make these conversions, just go online and use a CMH to CFM calculator.
Oh damn I didn’t even notice lol, thanks bro!

so the tent requires only about 30cfm and the carbon filter is ”optimal” at 141cfm.

could I run the fan at only 30cfm and still have the filter working properly?

No, that would not work. You are reading 50 cubic meters per hour, not 50 cubic feet per minute. Whoever made that tent really didn’t want to help anyone make this easier, lol. And that’s not the overall exchange rating, although it appears that way in that manual. It looks like they are telling you to add that amount, if you are running it with a filter attached.

What’s the tent size, and how long is your duct run, in feet?
The tent is (1.3ft x 1.3ft x 3.9ft) 40cm x 40cm x 120cm, ducting is about only 2ft

No. I think, and this is what I think, is that the extraction ratings in that manual are actually what they are saying to add to your baseline CFM, or CMH , if you use a filter. For example, add 50 CMH for 1 minute extraction, add 30 CMH for 2 minute extraction, if you are using a filter.

No. I think, and this is what I think, is that the extraction ratings in that manual are actually what they are saying to add to your baseline CFM, or CMH , if you use a filter. For example, add 50 CMH for 1 minute extraction, add 30 CMH for 2 minute extraction, if you are using a filter.
Is the carbon filter gonna work fine with only let’s say 80cfm?

Ok, so I was wrong. It does appear that the manual for the HS40 says that the recommended extraction rates for every minute would be 50 CMH, or 30 CFM. Also says reduce these numbers by 40% if you aren’t using a filter. If you are using a filter, just do the 30 CFM. Your duct is too short to make any difference.

Back
Top Bottom