Seed shelf life

....how long will these last if not useing them ?
About 10 years if stored correctly. Sometimes longer.

The next question is how to properly store them so that they last at least 10 years. Keep them dry, in a dark place out of sunlight or bright lights, the cooler or colder the better. Some people have stored them in the fridge and some like to store in the freezer. Put them in doob tubes, old style film cans, plastic pill bottles or even envelopes. Put a note as to which is which and even the date. Nothing worse than forgetting the name of the seed and then wondering if it is from two years ago or was it 8 years:).

Once put in storage leave them alone until ready to select which ones to be planted. Do not take them out to admire them and then put back. That is a way that they will have moisture condensing on the seed surface.

well been doing the wet towel trick.......tricks not working for me. i just checked
on the one i had to crack cuz it didn't spit and see i if sprouts. got 1 growing now
and doin well under lights.

About 10 years if stored correctly. Sometimes longer.

The next question is how to properly store them so that they last at least 10 years. Keep them dry, in a dark place out of sunlight or bright lights, the cooler or colder the better. Some people have stored them in the fridge and some like to store in the freezer. Put them in doob tubes, old style film cans, plastic pill bottles or even envelopes. Put a note as to which is which and even the date. Nothing worse than forgetting the name of the seed and then wondering if it is from two years ago or was it 8 years:).

Once put in storage leave them alone until ready to select which ones to be planted. Do not take them out to admire them and then put back. That is a way that they will have moisture condensing on the seed surface.
I used to just have seeds kicking around on my desk or in a drawer, since I switched to storing them in the fridge they respond much better to the warmth of soaking
Japanese Maple seeds have to be kept in the fridge for at least 90 days or germination rate will be zero

... tricks not working for me...
Tricks are for kids:). You might get it or maybe not:); kinda depends how old you are and what TV commercials you watched.

I never was a big fan of the wet paper towel method for germinating seeds and then planting the seeds in soil or whatever medium. The method was originally developed as a way to figure out the percentage of seeds that would sprout for the germination ratio and not as a speedy way to get them growing.

The seeds can still be soaked as @Roy Growin mentions to get a head start but after 8 hours or so they go into the ground/soil instead of between paper towels.

Many growers are close to 100% with planting in soil whether it is Cannabis seeds or any other kind.

Hi All,

I have a question. I am trying to store my seeds for future use and am looking to preserve them for as long as possible. Currently, I have been keeping them in their original packets, as purchased from the company, all of which are inside metal CVaults. However, I am looking to improve their preservation. Storing them in the refrigerator seems like a good idea. I have these film canister-like containers which appear to be a better option since they seem thicker, and the cap has a bulge that seems to be filled with desiccants, creating a good seal when closed. I can set up a labeling system to keep track of the date and variety. My question is, when I'm ready to germinate one of the seeds, should I let it thaw out for an hour or so before attempting to germinate it? What exact procedure do you all follow?

Thank you.

I have these film canister-like containers which appear to be a better option since they seem thicker, and the cap has a bulge that seems to be filled with desiccants, creating a good seal when closed.
Something to keep in mind is that the seeds have a natural amount of oil and moisture in them. If the seed dries out completely it is a lot less likely to germinate. Some thing to think about if it is a desiccant in the cap.

My question is, when I'm ready to germinate one of the seeds, should I let it thaw out for an hour or so before attempting to germinate it?
Germinate is not a process that is part of the planting of the seed. "Germinate" is just an interchangeable word for when a seed sprouts.

I put the seed into a small hole in a small container of damp soil. I push a pencil in so it goes about a 1/4 inch, drop the seed, push some soil over it, pour about a 1/2 teaspoon or so of water over the spot to help settle the soil over the seed and then wait.

As for thawing it out, the seed will reach room temperature within several minutes of being planted in the soil or dropped into a bowl of water if going the paper towel method.

I put the seed into a small hole in a small container of damp soil. I push a pencil in so it goes about a 1/4 inch, drop the seed, push some soil over it, pour about a 1/2 teaspoon or so of water over the spot to help settle the soil over the seed and then wait.

As for thawing it out, the seed will reach room temperature within several minutes of being planted in the soil or dropped into a bowl of water if going the paper towel method.
Agree - I only soak my seeds until they swell or crack, then straight into coco as soon as I know they are viable

Something to keep in mind is that the seeds have a natural amount of oil and moisture in them. If the seed dries out completely it is a lot less likely to germinate. Some thing to think about if it is a desiccant in the cap.
Understood, the seeds themselves won't be loose inside the canister. They will stay in the original plastic tube containers that most seeds come in. The tubes will go inside the canister. That way, I can keep different varieties in each canister after labeling everything.

Understood, the seeds themselves won't be loose inside the canister. They will stay in the original plastic tube containers that most seeds come in. The tubes will go inside the canister. That way, I can keep different varieties in each canister after labeling everything.
At the price of seeds these days I would hate to see you have a few fail over something simple and easy to avoid.

well been doing the wet towel trick.......tricks not working for me. i just checked
on the one i had to crack cuz it didn't spit and see i if sprouts. got 1 growing now
and doin well under lights.
Try soaking in 1 tsp of hydrogen peroxide (3%) to 20 tsp of water. Let 'em soak for 24 hours. It kills the bacteria and viruses on them. When you pick them up use clean tweezers-no fingers ever. Then into the paper towel using some of the water you soaked them in. I put the paper towel between two saucers and set it on the modem so they get some warmth. I think you will be surprised at the difference. Oh and when storing them put some dry rice in the container and put the container into a plastic sealed bag in the fridge. I just had 5 year old seeds pop in less than 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom