Seeds die in transit?

Rickstertp

So I ordered a bunch of seeds. It takes 6 weeks to get to the USA and none of my seeds are any good. So far all of the CBD 20:1 failed to germ. All my OG Kush failed to germinate. Both from Fastbuds who usually have great seeds. The one seed that germinated was a freebie, but the seedling has just sat there looking deformed and not growing.

So, I assume these seeds were good at one point. Fastbuds seeds have always germinated for me. So, what could happen in the ridiculously long ship time that would cause all the seeds to be bad?

seedsman amn.jpg

This plant has been above ground for nearly two weeks now!!! I don't think this plant will make it either.

Sorry to hear that man, Maybe extremely high temperatures or something like that, I have some on the way and I was worried if the heat would hurt them

That's what I'm thinking. I really don't know what happens with these shipments since it took 6 weeks. I don't know if it sat in their location before they shipped or if it really was in transit. If so, I'm guessing it sat in a hot truck or hot warehouse for a long time.

I also waited almost 2 months for my order, but it was right at the peak of COVID shutdowns and I ordered early just in case.
I got 4/5 to sprout but I don’t do the paper towel. I float for a day then straight into soil in the final pot.
It’s maybe just bad luck, I’ve seen people sprout seeds that have been in a drawer in their hot garage for 20 years. Not sure what could happen in 6 weeks that would ruin them all.
Contact their customer service, they will make it right. And good luck with the rest of the seeds!

I’m happy our source is 40 miles away, if that. Site sez they are closed for summer. Might that be due to hot temps as well??

I have had problems getting them to sprout in the last two seeds. In the cold months I have them in warm water I keep above the floor register. Now we don’t need the furnace on. I keep them in my dark closet, in their original pkg.
Today I took one out of water that was showing a tip of root, put it between wet paper towel sections, and put it in a small zip lock bag. Later put dark plastic around the zip lock to absorb heat on a sunny day on the window sill. We will see. Have had no luck with the paper towel.

I have heating pads for us but no thermostat to control the temp. Maybe not try to grow in summer. ?? But I love the brownies...

The technique that has always worked for me is to add distilled or RO water to peat pellets. Let them swell up and then poke a hole in the top and put the seed in about half an inch deep and cover with some of the moist peat and then put them in a small seed starting kit (plastic tray with clear plastic cover) then put that in a dark closet that ranges from 70F-78F. Usually within a couple of days the seed sprouts and then I plant the peat pellet in the final 5 gallon smart pot. I've never had this be unsuccessful and I don't know why I am having no luck with that technique now. I have also used rapid rooters, which are similar and they seem to always work, but they didn't work now either. I can't figure out what is going wrong.

I am really losing my confidence. I have never put much thought into germination. My usual method is to drop seeds in water for 24 hours and they usually sink (none of my current seeds have sunk though) after 24 hours I put them in a rapid rooter or peat pellet and 24-48 hours they are seedlings.

So this time, I put the seeds in RO water for 24 hours and even though they didn't sink, I then put them into a peat pellet that has soaked up RO water. I put them about a half inch down and then cover them up with a bit of the peat. Then I put it into a little germination tray and put them in a dark closet that stays between 70-78F. Now again, 4 days later, nothing. I'll give it more time, but the others I have left for over 10 days nothing.

What in the wide world of sports am I doing wrong??? This is really frustrating!

Try scuffing them before soaking. I use a knife to scrape the seed lightly, just so a little dust comes off. I do not cut them, or scrape deep enough to go through the seed casing.
I usually don't bother with soaking either, unless the seed is old. I just scuff it and put it straight into the peat pod.

That was going to be what I tried next. I lined a pill bottle with 180 grit sandpaper. Put seed in and shake gently for 20 seconds.

I've lost 8 seeds so far and one was a GSC from Fastbuds that I grew a plant from last year and it germinated easily. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. That seed has been kept in an air conditioned room since I got them.

Not knowing where you live so I can explain my past experiences. I had for years ordered from a seedbank in Spain, good honest business then I started having germination problems as you have. Did a little research and when all packages coming into the USA go through US customs. Different Ports of Entry have different methods. At some all packages go through radiation, kills every living thing including seeds. Consider a different entry port, I have not had a problem since. I buy out of Canada now and they come in differently. Been there done that.

So I ordered a bunch of seeds. It takes 6 weeks to get to the USA and none of my seeds are any good. So far all of the CBD 20:1 failed to germ. All my OG Kush failed to germinate. Both from Fastbuds who usually have great seeds. The one seed that germinated was a Seedsman Amnesia auto that was a freebie, but the seedling has just sat there looking deformed and not growing.

So, I assume these seeds were good at one point. Fastbuds seeds have always germinated for me. So, what could happen in the ridiculously long ship time that would cause all the seeds to be bad?

seedsman amn.jpg

This plant has been above ground for nearly two weeks now!!! I don't think this plant will make it either.
I ordered seeds and of the 15 seeds only 2 came up, and they never replied back to replace them

i often wondered if they pass under x-ray machine and if than can be any good for them. my buddy says the radiation is so low it shouldn't matter, but when i get x-rays at dentist they sure cover you up in protective gear.

Not knowing where you live so I can explain my past experiences. I had for years ordered from a seedbank in Spain, good honest business then I started having germination problems as you have. Did a little research and when all packages coming into the USA go through US customs. Different Ports of Entry have different methods. At some all packages go through radiation, kills every living thing including seeds. Consider a different entry port, I have not had a problem since. I buy out of Canada now and they come in differently. Been there done that.

You have to keep in mind that your seeds are not shipped in refrigerated containers. This is always bad in the warmer months.

I once ordered liquid brewing yeast. It should've arrived in four days (along with an ice pack). United Parcel Services took over a week to get it to me. It sat in a truck over the weekend. When I finally got it, the ice pack was long thawed out. And the yeast, which needs to be kept cold, was over ninety degrees when I opened the box.

radiation will affect them ever heard of atomic or gamma gardening
sometimes in a good way sometimes not
Not sure if the x-ray if powerful enough but I'm sure there Irradiator is, in the bad way

Did you know that most of the grapefruit grown in Texas was developed from gamma gardening
They were looking for a bigger orange
Reminds me of an episode of Gilligan's island

radiation will affect them ever heard of atomic or gamma gardening
sometimes in a good way sometimes not
Not sure if the x-ray if powerful enough but I'm sure there Irradiator is, in the bad way

Did you know that most of the grapefruit grown in Texas was developed from gamma gardening
They were looking for a bigger orange
Reminds me of an episode of Gilligan's island
Next time I get an x-ray, I'll bring some seeds with me.

Back
Top Bottom