Seedlab's Everything About Seed Making.

SeedLab

Hello folks

New here but I thought I would get right into a thread about seed making, I can field questions about anything seed, and also breeding does and don'ts for amateurs such as myself :).

I can answer questions about what to expect from certain crosses, how to achieve a desired pheno, and discuss techniques to coax out the best or most desired from your genetics.

Here is a Afghan Thai cross that will bear many hundreds if not thousands of seeds for me :)

DSCF34572.JPG

positive Energy to all :)

So the above ladies were pollenated staggered by ten days to allow me time to process the plant material, as you can see there is a fair amount of frost, however 80% of the material will be seed, I will be left with very little by way of Med's.

These plants will be allowed to live basically until they die a natural death and have been fed a steady diet of Advanced Nutrients Grow A and B, as well as a few soil amendment's like carbonatites for Phosphorus and other minerals required to make good viable strong plants and seeds.

Because the end product is seed nutrition and environment is key to what genetic traits I wish to pass on. These particular plants have been flowered under 1000 watt eye Super HPS using a digital ballast that operates at a low frequency with a sine wave that is square rather than arc. The light cycle started at 14 on 10 off and after 4 weeks they were pollinated and switched to 13 on 11 off and then to 12 on 12 off for the remainder of the plants life. The light being directly over head will simulate the passage of the sun through an equatorial region of the globe.

This will coax out the sativa or what is scientifically referred in botanical taxonomy as Indica Subspecies Indica, sub species being narrow leaf Indica. the following generations should produce more Sativa leaning Pheno's, however this is yet to be confirmed.

If this was an Indica the light would be positioned at an angle to the plants on a light mover and plants would be rotated 180 degrees daily.

Cheers

Seed Harvest day is approaching for one plant, 10 days after the second plant will follow. they are falling over with the weight of the seeded buds. I will be adding some pictures this weekend, and then I will do an average seed count which means I will count the seeds in a known volume such as 10ml, then I will pour all the seeds into a graduated cylinder and average the amount of seeds. The yield will be lower than normal as I have used an experimental soil mix that has been sub standard.

Well I have started the process of checking seeds on the lower buds, I have done a viability test and the result was 100% germ rate, both Mom's are way beyond the usual harvest date for optimum smoke, they will be kept alive till they die of natural causes.

One thing I need to work on is timing the pollinations, I think for this strain I waited to long before pollinating, the reason being there appears to be a lot of premature seeds at this point, granted I did harvest a lower bud and I still have a number of very large main cola's to harvest seed from. The bonus is the premature seeds will go into my salads and smoothies. :) Packed full of goodness they are.

Seedlab

Hi seedlab
I have a question .
I was thinking of spraying coloidal silver. What happens if you just focus on 1 branch and then let the plant self pollinate. ?
Also would it be bad too take 2 clones from the same mother force 1 to turn and pollinate the other? Inbreed?
I have 3 phenos of pinaple chunk and id like to make some seeds from the prefered pheno..
appriciate any tips thanks guys

Well I have started the process of checking seeds on the lower buds, I have done a viability test and the result was 100% germ rate, both Mom's are way beyond the usual harvest date for optimum smoke, they will be kept alive till they die of natural causes.

One thing I need to work on is timing the pollinations, I think for this strain I waited to long before pollinating, the reason being there appears to be a lot of premature seeds at this point, granted I did harvest a lower bud and I still have a number of very large main cola's to harvest seed from. The bonus is the premature seeds will go into my salads and smoothies. :) Packed full of goodness they are.

Seedlab
How do you define a premature seed..? a seed fallen from the calyx..? naturally..?
I find pollinating just one lower lateral supplies me with ample seeds about a teaspoon(250 seeds) per plant,
of more interest is your actual pollination method, I'm a traditionalist, and prefer to lean my guy over a larger mirroe at night to scrape up the pollen in the morning, then amply to a mature female with an ear bud ..lol

How do you define a premature seed..? a seed fallen from the calyx..? naturally..?
I find pollinating just one lower lateral supplies me with ample seeds about a teaspoon(250 seeds) per plant,
of more interest is your actual pollination method, I'm a traditionalist, and prefer to lean my guy over a larger mirroe at night to scrape up the pollen in the morning, then amply to a mature female with an ear bud ..lol

Hey Bud, I have a separate area where I do open pollination, I go for maximum seed production, timing is everything, I have over pollinated my share of ladies and this tends to lead to a lot of premature seeds.

The method I use to determine if a seed is good or not I pinch it and if I can crush it it's bad, I narrow the search with a machine I built that separates, most premies from the batches. I am usually left with several thousand viable seeds, and many seeds I am on the fence about. I will usually sprout these and put them in a smoothie.

Back
Top Bottom