Seedlings

scotslad

when i plant my seeds i put them under my dome and my soil on the to seems to dry out over nite am useing a 250w hps light can someone tell me howhow often i shoul water my seedlings and if it is to hot for them my temp is sitting at 27.8degrees...thanks..mick...

cheers bomber appraciate that m8 if i do have to water them should i just let the soil gt a bit damp and wait 2-3 days before water agsin....I gt a probe that you put in your soil and it flashes when your plants need water are they any good or will i bin this..cheers mick....

I have been told to do this for high humidity as i dont no and just a beginer i am looking for info and this seems to be the best way if you have any info on this i would appraciate it ...thanks...mick

I'm a newb, this is what worked for me. I through 5 seeds in a glass of RO water, set the glass on a heating pad in the dark (2/11/12). (2/12) I pulled seeds from bottom of glass with no roots showing, put seeds a 1/4 inch down into soil. Placed container back in the dark on the heating pad. (2/13) night time, 2 broke the surface (2/14) other 3 broke the surface, stuck all 5 under 2-26w CFL's. Till they get their first set of true leaves, then they will be put under a T5 HO fixture to veg. Flower will be under a 600w HPS.

I also agree there is no reason to use a dome, from my observations and research it limits oxygen and when the seed sprouts the stem will be in a over saturated weakened state.

My main hobby has always been Salt water reef tanks for the last 15 years and if anything is hard or finicky to grow its live corals. This taught me acclimation. A light loving creature doesnt need a lot of light in the beginning. In a reef tank with 500 watts of metal halide pounding on the surface you would start your creature out on the bottom. So just like the coral your seedling under a HID should be far enough away not to damage it, say 2ft. You lower the fixture gradually over a weeks time. In the case of growing plants, light fixtures are more easily swapped out,,,,,so a less high powered light such as CFL's or T5's is more preferable IMO....Less chance of burning up your sprout.

Everything I have read and researched on this board told me seeds do not need light nor want it till they break the surface of the media that they are in.

Media needs to be damp, not wet, not dry and needs no light till the babies pop out of the media.

This is what worked really well for me and its the first seeds of anything I ever planted.

Like I said in the beginning, I am a newb. Though I do love to learn, so I research the shit out of things. Like reading the stickys on this forum. Take it all in and decide which process I like the most or mix a few together.

Back
Top Bottom