Seeking Help with LED

twist1

Hello all. My name is Nicholas.

First post, so I will kind of introduce myself. Wifey and I just sold our business. We started a restaurant in Florida and turned it over three years to be one of the best rated in our area. We are passionate people and quite frankly---- I just don't want to work/slave as hard as I did for the past 4 years. Never again will I do the restaurant industry. WTF was I thinking? LOL!

That being said, I will be investing our proceeds into a grow room/s. I feel our country is finally on a domino effect with legalizing marijuana and I would like to 'get it on it'. I will dedicate the same passion into this venture as I have with every other pursuit of my life. I've been a long time believer in marijuana; both for medicinal and recreational.

I have decided to go with LED's. Just not sold on which ones are best.

I've spoken with the horticulturist from Illumitex and he seemed legit.

I estimate that my initial area will be about 400 sq ft. Possibly more. We will be relocating in about a month and a half and not quite sure of the total space. Ultimately, I will be looking to take it to a larger level and begin to develop my own strains. I know, I know---- crawl before you walk;) But a guy can dream can't he.

Anyway--- for those of you that are in the know about LED's, your assistance/ advise is needed on this product.

Thank you very much for your help! And thanks for such a great site!!

Nicholas

There are many reasons that I'd like to go LED, especially considering it will be for a business:
~The cost over the long end.
~From day 1, I can double stack plants.
~Electric consumption.
~Heat, for more than a few reasons.
~Less maintenance from day one to day on through the fifth year.
~Less money. Over time of course. But I feel they will produce more yield, with less space, less electric and have a higher profit margin over the time with this venture.

I've experimented with many lighting sources and have been in many rooms with it.

Everytime 1000w yields more, I did 800w of LED vs 1000w HID and the LED yielded half a pound less then the HID. I haven't met someone who yields nearly 2 pounds per light with one LED unless it's a very long grow.

I do not know any commercial growers who are using LED, due to it yielding less. They work great for personal growers, I have yet to see the advantage for commercial growers.

If you do go LED, many folks on here have had success with Advanced LED.

One of the trimmers for that dispensary boasts that they got 1000g's a plant. Now if you double stack them---- which I plan on doing in the beginning, while each plant might not yield the same outcome.... I think that the overhead will end up being less in the end.
Once we end up in CO, I will be able to get a warehouse and 3 or 4 stack them---- at that point, a 2,500 sq ft layout is now 10,000 sq ft.
If these lights are what they claim to be---- I think the profit margin could be much better than traditional style lighting. Not too mention that the environment/ climate of the room will be more manageable in my opinion.

You asked for assistance from those who have experience with LED, of course let's wait for others experience.

In my experience, and the experience I've seen from hundreds of growers, they're not realistic for a commercial setting.

You'll still need exhaust fans/air conditioning even with the LED in order to have optimal control at all times. I guess money can be saved with ducting?

How long were the plants grown to achieve 1000g's per plant? That's over two pounds for one plant, it had to be vegged for a very long time at that rate.

11865.jpg

Their website gives very little information about their actual fixtures. They are ~16 watts per panel over 48" and ~2 inches wide. This means they have a maximum output of 25 watts per square foot. I'm guessing their 1000 grams per plant is not only green weight but also all biomass from the looks of the photo you linked. I've been working with LEDs for a number of years now and have yet to get good consistent results with 25 watts per square foot of LED lighting (that is actually my goal before I release a panel). When growing for commercial purpose when you want to finish as heavy and as fast as possible HPS is by far the way to go.

Actually, if you let yourmouse hoover over the bottom of the picture that twist1 provided, it is 1000g's "wet" weight. Not sure why anyone gives wet/green weight any meaning/credit.

ARRRGGGHHHHH! I just typed 15-20 minutes only to somehow backspace and delete all of it. Gonna shower and retype my thoughts after a session of relaxation of course! WTF I am so pissed with myself right now. What the fuck is that autosave feature shit keep popping up for? Where's my reply autosave? LOL!!!!

That's what I noticed as well. Let's say 75% goes to drying that's around 8 oz per plant. Which is still impressive I would say.

If you're interested in making an investment into new ways of growing (in the sense that LED is still emerging compared to proven track record of HID), then I say go for it. My thoughts are that if LED could deliver on a commercial basis, it would become widespread, this hasn't happen yet because the HID can promise easy ROI.

Either way I look forward to seeing how your venture goes and what you do. I'm sure it will be a great story and people will love to see the grow journal so we all progress our education.

ooooft! do you actually realise the cost of setting these baby's up, and to be hones my friend, l.e.d technology, watt per watt, still only generates the same product amount, and temperature, and light saturation,
eg, a 336x hydrogrow penetrator has 336x3w led, but only use 1-1.5 w each, so this would replace a 600w hps, not a 1000w unit as you would be led to believe,
physics states that you can only generate as much energy as you put in,

ooooft! do you actually realise the cost of setting these baby's up, and to be hones my friend, l.e.d technology, watt per watt, still only generates the same product amount, and temperature, and light saturation,
eg, a 336x hydrogrow penetrator has 336x3w led, but only use 1-1.5 w each, so this would replace a 600w hps, not a 1000w unit as you would be led to believe,
physics states that you can only generate as much energy as you put in,

And the physics say that there is a ton of room for more actual light(umols) to be made with the same amount of power(watts). In hps only about 20% is light and the rest is heat. Well with the best LED's it's about 40%+ light and then the rest heat. It all comes down to micromoles(umols). And LED's watt for watt dominate HPS in actual light production. Till the day that 1w input power equals 1w light output, then not every watt is the same.

I saw illumitex new model at the max yield show. It isn't out till october but is what rocky mountain high(picture twist posted) has. I tested it with my meter and at about 12" it was doing 850umol everywhere across a 4x4. Not super impressive for a center #...but amazing for a edge of a 4x4 #. Something like $4000 though so price makes it not so practical.

Back
Top Bottom