Sen. Harry Reid Supports Marijuana For Medical Use

The General

Add Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to those who believe smoking pot and eating marijuana-laced brownies for medical purposes should be legal. The Senate's top Democrat told the Las Vegas Sun he's evolved on the issue. "If you'd asked me this question a dozen years ago, it would have been easy to answer -- I would have said no, because (marijuana) leads to other stuff," Reid said in the interview posted online Thursday. "But I can't say that anymore."

"I think we need to take a real close look at this," Reid continued. "I think that there's some medical reasons for marijuana." Nevada voters approved a constitutional amendment in 2000 allowing the use of medical marijuana, but the state is still working out regulations for marijuana growers and providers. Some Nevada communities are issuing moratoriums on medical marijuana dispensaries.

National polls have shown support for medical marijuana at levels of 60% to 80%, according to the Marijuana Policy Project. This isn't the first time Reid's position on a controversial issue has evolved. The Democratic leader has also changed his views over the years on gay marriage and guns. Reid stopped short of saying whether Nevada should join Colorado in legalizing the recreational use of marijuana. "I don't know about that," the senator is quoted as saying. "I just think that we need to look at the medical aspects of it."

harry-reid.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Usatoday.com
Author: Catalina Camia

Back
Top Bottom