Shed grow - Need help!

TheGanjaMan94

Hi guys im a newbie grower only got a couple grows under my belt but ive managed to get a pretty tidy shed for free. Its practically like a little house with full insulation.

I just need help on what would be the best way to setup for smell and light leaks.

It has a angled roof like a loft but its about 10ft high to the point and maybe 10ft long. I only want to put around 3 plants maybe 4 max but i dont mind putting a partition in.

It has one window about 4ft from one of the sides so i could part it off from there and line the whole lot with a reflective material.

Of course i need intakes and outtakes etc etc but should i use a tent to hide the smell or do you think a bigger space would be better with good filters?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hi guys im a newbie grower only got a couple grows under my belt but ive managed to get a pretty tidy shed for free. Its practically like a little house with full insulation.

I just need help on what would be the best way to setup for smell and light leaks.

It has a angled roof like a loft but its about 10ft high to the point and maybe 10ft long. I only want to put around 3 plants maybe 4 max but i dont mind putting a partition in.

It has one window about 4ft from one of the sides so i could part it off from there and line the whole lot with a reflective material.

Of course i need intakes and outtakes etc etc but should i use a tent to hide the smell or do you think a bigger space would be better with good filters?

I would personally not use a tent, both to give a larger area for the plants and to save on the cost of buying something that isn't necessary. A tent won't help with odor, however it may make it easier to control the odor (although I doubt it would be much easier).

What I would do, with significant experience in building stuff but next to no experience with growing, is add a passive vent to the soffit on one side, and have a fan/blower with a carbon filter exhausting out of the opposite soffit. Have the intake on the north side for slightly cooler air intake. If the shed is already in place, the east side would be the next best. You want it away from the sun as much as possible, and at the hottest part of the day, having the intake on the east will give slightly cooler air.

I would personally not use a tent, both to give a larger area for the plants and to save on the cost of buying something that isn't necessary. A tent won't help with odor, however it may make it easier to control the odor (although I doubt it would be much easier).

What I would do, with significant experience in building stuff but next to no experience with growing, is add a passive vent to the soffit on one side, and have a fan/blower with a carbon filter exhausting out of the opposite soffit. Have the intake on the north side for slightly cooler air intake. If the shed is already in place, the east side would be the next best. You want it away from the sun as much as possible, and at the hottest part of the day, having the intake on the east will give slightly cooler air.
Cheers for the advice. That was kind of my thinking because if i have a half decent filter it should be ok. The only downfall about the sun is i get it from sunrise to sunset but on the plus side where the shed is going to be placed one side of it will shade between the shed and my house. Do you think i would get enough cool air from that? In the winter its no problem we have cold winters but its all insulated so hopefully i wont have to add a heater.

The next issue would be noise as it is going to be backed onto a neighbours fence that was why i thought a tent. The shed is fully insulated so with a few extra boards etc it should be ok.

i would line the walls with reflective material such as mylar or orca roll.

Passive intake would be better at ground level if possible, that way the air will come up through the plants. Depends what your outdoor temps are because you dont want it too cold when the lights are off. if you use the soffet as intake the airflow will be high and not cool and allow plants to breathe as well. Go for the biggest filter you can afford and run a fan that will refresh the air 4x min per minute. Extracting high is better and try not to use lots of ductwork as it makes more noise and has a radiator effect.

What type of lights do you plant to use?

You will easily fit 4 big plants in that footprint.

further to Cultivator's post...you could also just paint the walls a flat white...and add a variable speed controller to your fan/filter combo...no point running it higher than needed...agreed...intake low...output higher...being a well insulated shed...the sun should have no bearing on it...for the most part...intake should be where Yer' comfortable with it...outside temps are what they are...shaded area would have little impact...also a quality/properly sized carbon filter should eliminate most smell...enuff that it should raise no concerns(when I was just using bathroom fans...I had a perpetual skunk living under my shed...lolool...)...sounds like a good shed to werk with...enuff space to add whatever HVAC you may require...cheerz...h00k...

if you use the soffet as intake the airflow will be high and not cool and allow plants to breathe as well.

I didn't finish that thought completely. I was thinking to run a duct from the soffit down to the floor, that would be an important step. My reasoning behind having the vents in the soffit was to make it as inconspicuous as possible. Neighbors may start wondering why there's a big vent in the side of a shed. Any difference in air temp should be negligible between the ground and the eaves. I'm not sure how - or if - it would apply here, but on a car's cold air intake you actually want it as high as possible because the road would be hotter than the air during the day.

I don't know how growing in winter would work out for you. Around here (roughly 42°N in midwest US) a heater would be an absolute must, even if you had 2x 1000W lights. That would be even if you weren't venting any air. And if you do vent the air, it will be humid enough that it shows a mixing cloud outside the shed. That would, best case scenario, get you a visit from the building inspector. It may vary from state to state, but here you can't have electric in a shed.

I've got two ideas for winter, both are far from perfect. First would be to just not vent at all, and have a source of CO2 for the plants. From my understanding CO2 is expensive and difficult to control. Second would be to run extra duct of a larger diameter on the exhaust side and coil it up under the window and leave it open to cool the exhaust before it hits the outside air. You'll need a drain at the lowest point if you do this. Of course if your local road pirates look for targets using IR imaging, you're going to get your door kicked in.

i would line the walls with reflective material such as mylar or orca roll.

Passive intake would be better at ground level if possible, that way the air will come up through the plants. Depends what your outdoor temps are because you dont want it too cold when the lights are off. if you use the soffet as intake the airflow will be high and not cool and allow plants to breathe as well. Go for the biggest filter you can afford and run a fan that will refresh the air 4x min per minute. Extracting high is better and try not to use lots of ductwork as it makes more noise and has a radiator effect.

What type of lights do you plant to use?

You will easily fit 4 big plants in that footprint.
My outside temps during winter could vary between 0 to 20 degrees lol the good old english weather mate thats my major concern. I have a little portable fan heater that heats the place up really well so hopefully i should be ok. This year is only going to be a test run to get everythinf set perfect for my future grows. It makes life easier not having it in the house with kids running round.

Ill be running a 600w HPS in the first couple runs but if temps get to high during the summer i might flash some cash and buy a LED but stick to the HPS during winter.

I just want a constant cupboard full of medicine. You dont know what youre buying on the street and id rather know whats going into my plants.

Hey guys , just throwing in my 2 cents on co2 .I found a easy way to add co2 to your grow by using these thing called green pads. I use them in my tents and they work great. I use them in 4x4 's and all you do is hang them up at the top of the tent and mist them with water once or twice a week. They release a decent amount of co2 according to my meter. They come in a 5 pack and each one seems to be good for around two weeks or so I get around ten weeks of supplemental co2 per pack. and I always get a better yield with them than without them. The difference is around 15-20 grams per plant

Back
Top Bottom