Should Health Insurance Cover Medical Marijuana?

In light of the recent news from the American Medical Association, this has become an even more interesting question. The Ocean County College in Tom's River, NJ hosted a debate about medical marijuana on October 19th . A professor of Social Science there, Brad Young, moderated.

The opposition was Terrence Farley, a former county prosecutor and the now head of the NJ Narcotics Task Force Commanders Assn. Farley is a vehement prohibitionist and we've sparred over this topic on television programs before.

I represented the Coalition for Medical Marijuana - New Jersey.

Neither of us saw the questions prior to the debate and when the health insurance question came up it was particularly interesting to handle. As an added bonus you get to see me address some of the reefer madness we encounter locally.

YouTube - PT4 NJ Medical Marijuana Debate OCCC

Looking to see what started the rebuttal ?

YouTube - PT3 NJ Medical Marijuana Debate OCCC

Let me pose the question to anyone reading this blog- Should medical cannabis be covered by health insurance?

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 Magazine
Source: Examiner.com
Author: Chris Goldstein
Copyright: 2009 Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a Examiner.com

Farley sounds DRUNK, or it's just his severe case of cretinism. If marijuana causes such violent behavior, why would he back vaporizing and edibles? Does he think these have different effects than smoking? What an archaic moron!
BRAVO for standing up for the truth and the people!
I believe that mmj should be low priced, and out of the control of insurance companies and the federal government. Which, may be one in the same in the near future.

That Farley guy is an idiot. If he could site a case where someone has died using cannabis, then why didn't he. that would have boosted his argument but he knows he's lying. and screw the FDA, they will never approve cannabis for medical use. The same FDA that will approve drugs and vaccines that have a side effect of death. No thanks. Shit, if the FDA ever approves cannabis, that might be the day I stop smoking. that means they probably found a way to poison the plant.
No the insurance companies should not be in control of med. cannabis. Once those bureaucrats get a hold of it the price will shoot up so much we'll be begging for it to be illegal again.
:peace:

MJ deserves just as little oversight as does caffeine.

As far as medical coverage is concerned, the answer is so simple it's amazing! If it is being used recreationally, no. If it is being used for a specific medical condition, yes.

If you get a prescription for anything, it should be considered a medical use item and covered without any second-guessing.

The reason they do NOT want to cover it is simple as well. Since they won't be able to gouge people the same exorbitant fees with cannabis as they can with patent medicine, and since cannabis has been proven to actually CURE disease, rather than create more adverse reactions which will cause future sales of additional toxic pharmaceuticals...well...if it ain't going to bring in new profits, government doesn't want it, pharmaceutical companies don't want it, and the medical estabishment is absolutely terrified of it.

If YOU were an oncologist (cancer doctor) and you heard that there was a cure for cancer that people could grow in their own backyards and cure themselves for next to nothing, would you fight tooth-n-nail to make it legal and cut your future income potential, or would you get in bed with the toxin purveyors to keep it illegal, thereby guaranteeing that you'll be driving a Lamborghini to your retirement party?

Overgrow The World!!!

Terrence Farley...what a piece of work. Either purposfully ignorant or a bald/bold-faced liar.

Regarding dose titration. When an MD hands out sample pills given to him by big Pharma reps he or she takes a guess as to what dose to suggest to the patient. Once the patient is hooked, (because the side effects of quitting are death), and the pharmaceuticals aren't doing the job, the MD suggests doubling the dose. Or if the patient is having terrible side effects like nausea, dizziness, fainting, drowsiness, etc. the MD may suggest taking half a pill. There is no hard and fast rule on how these dangerous FDA approved drugs will work. Everyone has a different body dynamic. The problem with the pharmaceuticals is that the come in specific doses and managing those doses is pretty difficult. Too much may do the job, the side effects may be livable, but the long term damage to the liver, heart, psyche, may be unacceptable. Never fear, it's an FDA approved drug, so the prescribers are fairly well protected from civil recourse.

Cannabis on the other hand is easily controlled. Smoke one hit, smoke a whole bag, one cookie or a dozen...whatever works. You don't need an MD to tell you what's working for you. No matter how much you take your risks are limited to non-life-threatening side effects. That's just too simple. Ya know, Jesus had a hard time convincing the hypocritical religious groups at the time about the Gospel truth in part because it was so simple. I see a parallel with Cannabis.

Regarding insurance coverage. If the feds would pull their heads out and remove the prohibitions associated with the healing herb, the cost would be so low and the availability so satisfactory that it would not be an issue. My 1/4 acre could probably support every potential medical user on my street, if not the neighborhood.

Mad props to Chris Goldstein. We need more intelligent, lucid, coherent spokespeople like him.

Back
Top Bottom