Should I throw this soil away?

jokerlola

I was given some fairly good potting soil from a friend but he had put it into some polypropylene bags (like cheap, reusable grocery bags) that he had got from a Hi Fi show. The bags were made in China so I'm worried that they contain lead. They have a Cpsia tracking number but I don't know if that means they've been tested for lead and they're safe or what that means. Should I just dump the soil or should it be safe to use?

Toxic Plastics and How to Avoid Them​

Plastics #5 Polypropylene (PP) is considered to be the safest of all plastics, this is a robust plastic that is heat resistant. Because of its high heat tolerance, Polypropylene is unlikely to leach even when exposed to warm or hot water. This plastic is approved for use with food and beverage storage. Polypropylene plastics can be re-used safely and with hot beverages.

That's a quote from a site listing all the toxic plastics.
Your safe

Toxic Plastics and How to Avoid Them​

Plastics #5 Polypropylene (PP) is considered to be the safest of all plastics, this is a robust plastic that is heat resistant. Because of its high heat tolerance, Polypropylene is unlikely to leach even when exposed to warm or hot water. This plastic is approved for use with food and beverage storage. Polypropylene plastics can be re-used safely and with hot beverages.

That's a quote from a site listing all the toxic plastics.
Your safe
These are the woven bags like the blue reusable Walmart bags that they sell for .99 cents. There was a big hoopla about 10 years ago that these kind of bags tested positive for high levels of lead. I don't know if that's still a problem with thee kind of bags or not? My friend uses these as grow bags and had filled them with this soil but hasn't grown anything in them yet. The soil he gave me has been in them for over a year.

Just my 2 cents... I have seen others growing in that type of bag. I would use it, but, in the end it is your choice. If you feel it may be an issue, dump it.

Back
Top Bottom