Optimum pH in peat moss

baxbax

Hello , Im going to use peatmoss substrate as medium not raw peat i mean peatmoss bagged and sold as substrate they have ph range of 5.5 to 6.5 or 5.2 to 6 (this is what printed on bag ) and they call they have some nutrients for start and wetting agent ...
Mixing with 10 percent perlite , 10 percent coco peat , 10 percent worm castings and hope I get some nice soil.
not fan of super soil I just want to go simple and use liquid nutrients as they are chalatted and easy to go .

Just wondering this mix is type of soil or soilless medium ? and what ph of soil should stand exactly (I can change the ratio of ingredients I add to peat moss to make ph change (increase or decrease ) but dont know what is best ph to go .
thanks.

> Mixing with 10 percent perlite , 10 percent coco peat , 10 percent worm castings and hope I get some nice soil.
Well you can always hope... that sounds more like a spongy, non-nutritive substrate to me. I guess it would be closer to a "soilless medium" from the sound of it, so you'd keep the plants alive with fertilizer, not the medium.

<edit: What's the other 70% going to be?>

And what is "coco peat"?
Have you considered using a prepared soil with a proven track record like Ocean Forest?

> Mixing with 10 percent perlite , 10 percent coco peat , 10 percent worm castings and hope I get some nice soil.
Well you can always hope... that sounds more like a spongy, non-nutritive substrate to me. I guess it would be closer to a "soilless medium" from the sound of it, so you'd keep the plants alive with fertilizer, not the medium.

<edit: What's the other 70% going to be?>

And what is "coco peat"?
Have you considered using a prepared soil with a proven track record like Ocean Forest?

the other 70 percent is bagged peatmoss as main , the ph range printed on bag of peat moss is 5.5 to 6.5 range im not sure its ok for this plant or not because im going to mix it with some worm casting and perlite , and increase its water retention with coco coir ( medium made by coconut shell ) , I can increase peat moss ph by adding worm casting because its on natural range +-7 , but dont know what ph should I go with , some call peat is very acidic for grow should I increase ph ? company printed 5.5 to 6.5 range ph on bag dont know its true and trustable or no ( im going to test ph of peat moss step by step to change it )

answer : I have no access to ocean forest and etc .

I think you would be better off to use either a good quality potting soil or to just go with Coco Coir and 20% perlite + daily feedings.

You can look at the coco + perlite grow log in my sig file if you like...

Back
Top Bottom