Sterilizing old soil?

Hi all, so I was offered some decent potting soil from my boss as I talk to him about my "garden" lol the soil comes from the golf course he's a member of, and they are from some indoor plants they had in the lobby. It has been sitting in two garbage bags for about two years. I want to use it and add my own mix to it, but I want to know if pouring boiling water through a couple of times will be enough to kill bugs,mold,etc or if I should even worry since it's been sealed for a long time in a shed?

If it’s been two years, and the soil is dry, I wouldn’t worry too much about bugs. If there’s any volume to the soil pouring hot water through it probably won’t get it hot enough all the way through to do much good. Spread it thin in the sun on a plastic sheet and turn it over a few times. That should do it. Or you could add it to a compost heap and the decomposition heat should sterilize it.

Hi all, so I was offered some decent potting soil from my boss as I talk to him about my "garden" lol the soil comes from the golf course he's a member of, and they are from some indoor plants they had in the lobby. It has been sitting in two garbage bags for about two years. I want to use it and add my own mix to it, but I want to know if pouring boiling water through a couple of times will be enough to kill bugs,mold,etc or if I should even worry since it's been sealed for a long time in a shed?
Hello @HappyHazmat88 hope you are well my friend.
From what I understand to kill any insects or eggs you have to heat the soil to 180 degrees for at least 30 minutes.
In the oven or a pressure cooker.
You can also spread a thin layer on a plastic sheet and spray it with h202.
Add 1/2 a cup of hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water.
Then you have to spray ever inch of it with your solution.
Another method I've herd of is microwave it.
Fill a large ziplock bag ,put it in microwave.
Cook on high until it reaches 180-200 degrees.
Hope that helps.
Happy growing.

Stay safe
Bill

I'd pass.... you have no idea what they "added" to the soil.

boiling water wont sterilize the soil and actually the soil bacteria are what will get rid of any pathogens.

If you want to understand how soil/compost is sterilized look to how mushroom farms deal with compost before they use it as a growing medium.

This said the soil been in a plastic bag the wrong bacteria (anaerobic) have likely taken over. Best to compost that soil in a compost pile with some leaf mold for several months. Let some air get to it, it will come around.

I'd pass.... you have no idea what they "added" to the soil.

boiling water wont sterilize the soil and actually the soil bacteria are what will get rid of any pathogens.

If you want to understand how soil/compost is sterilized look to how mushroom farms deal with compost before they use it as a growing medium.

This said the soil been in a plastic bag the wrong bacteria (anaerobic) have likely taken over. Best to compost that soil in a compost pile with some leaf mold for several months. Let some air get to it, it will come around.
Thank you, that's a good point as to what they may or may not have used to kill pest or weeds in the soil while in lobby.

Back
Top Bottom