Sterilizing soil

sunshine1754

I'm growing for the first time and need some help. I bought Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil, I hear this is the best soil to grow in. I was wondering if I need to sterilize it. I've read that many people use it, but no one ever says if they sterilize it. I don't want to have bugs and bacteria for my first grow, that would ruin my first grow.

I'm growing for the first time and need some help. I bought Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil
No, no need to sterilize FFOF at all, just fill containers up and water for the 1st 30 days as directed. No need to add anything else. I use it this way, when I do use it.

See Below pic of FFOF

IMG_3440lo_FFOF_Breakdown.JPG

IMG_3441lo_FFOF_Breakdown2.JPG

The reason why I am posting this for you is that I see so many try and not follow directions and mess up. FFOF makes it simple not to mess up. :smokin:

Fox Farms is high-quality stuff. If it had nasty critters hiding in it nobody would use it. :grinjoint:

I am sorry to say here folks but using fox farm " ocean forest " soil although very good soil for growing cannabis in will sometimes lead you right into a fungus knat infestation for real. You know all my 420 friends out there that have used fox farm ocean forest a few times I'm sure can tell you sorry to say " it happenes " to the best of us and it's not just fox farm brand but any potting mix no matter the manafacture , fungus knat infestation can happen so to be on the safe side of the matter look into the ways of soil sterilization, there are a few ways but I beleive you'll find the hydrogen peroxide process to be probably your best bet. Just Google what's the correct way to steralize your soil with hydrogen peroxide , it'll tell you exactly how much hydrogen peroxide to mix in a gallon of water and it'll tell you exactly how to do it. If you do that you'll prevent something from happening ( possible ) and we all know preventative Is a lot easier that dealing with the problem after it's done happened. Happy growing 420 friends...

Bought my fox farm ocean forest last Oct. getting ready for my outdoor grow this year. I like to put a few more things in it to make it even better. I do a bit of growing indoors so used some of the soil I am going to use for my outdoor grow and trap. " fungus knat " infested. It was on cause I hate the darn thing flying around inside so yellow sticky traps and mosquito bit all the way. Hey I am glad for everyone that don't run into that situation but I sure have. Happy growing 420 friends , due respect to all always.

Fungus Gnats will overwinter in the soil and start to fly around when the soil is warmed back up. It does not matter which company bagged the soil or where the soil was found. The job of the gnat is to help speed up the decomposition of the organic material so that the nutrients can be released back into the 'wild' so I can't fault them for doing what they are supposed to do.

I bought a bag of Fox Farm's Happy Frog last summer to see what was so special about it. I keep the bag outside and will bring in a bucket or so when needed for cuttings and so far no gnats have been flying around.

However, if I do see more than one show up in the grow room or anywhere in the basement I will sprinkle a pinch or two of Mosquito Bits on the large tub of soil mix and maybe a pinch on the soil in any of the pots. The last time I had to open my bottle of Mosquito Bits was last summer before I bought the Happy Frog potting soil.

Yes, the gnats can be annoying especially for some of us with eye problems but to me it is not worth the stress involved to be blaming Fox Farm or any other bagged soil supplier.

Back
Top Bottom