Fox Farms Ocean Forest & Spider Mites

Stoner4Life

Does Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil need to be cooked off to kill spider mites just as Miracle-Gro does? This is obviously a Yes/No answer and so only those who've used this soil answer please. I don't mean to sound rude, just needing a precise assessment of this soil and if it usually contains mites.
The grow will be in a warm cellar that has never had any growing done in it, would this area nedd to be 'sterilized' too?
Also, if you need to cook off the soil do you need to replenish any nutes affected by the heat? What nutes then also if needed......:bongrip: :peace:

No, Foxfarm uses a process to eliminate foreign predators.
Just to let you know, you should always sterilize a new area. I also wipe down with bleach water between grows.

The mites will only live -and thrive- in a narrow range of humidity.

If you search under "spider mites".....well, now you have your homeworrk assignment.

I have never heard of anyone getting spider mites from ANY KIND of store-bought potting soil.
I don't think it's possible, since the componets that go into packaged potting soils isn't re-used soil.
And re-use is the only way spider mites could get into the components.

Homemade potting soil should be baked at 350F for 25 minutes (or so I've been told) to kill off pests & pathogens.

Back
Top Bottom