Sterilization of Coco

Cbdman

My last grow in coco I had to deal with fungus nats. So this time, I bought Mother of Earth coco, and I was wondering if I should try to Sterilize the coco before starting to make sure that my coco does not contain any pests. If you do sterilize your coco, could you share your method.

My last grow in coco I had to deal with fungus nats. So this time, I bought Mother of Earth coco, and I was wondering if I should try to Sterilize the coco before starting to make sure that my coco does not contain any pests. If you do sterilize your coco, could you share your method.

I bought some through Amazon, and threw it into the garden. Mother Earth coco is not a quality product. It is poorly washed, and does not have a consistent texture. It's full of chunks of coco that were not ground up. It's okay for the garden, but not very good for container grows.

If you want to sterilize it, and have a pressure cooker, that will work. Just put pieces of the brick in the pressure cooker, above the water level, and let it sit at full pressure for 45 minutes. I've done this with peat. It helps to have a large pressure cooker. Mine is 23qt.

Back
Top Bottom