Should Marijuana Smokers Be More Considerate

Ron Strider

I support marijuana legalization, but I wish pot smokers would stop stinking up the sidewalks.

I'm not alone. In places where using marijuana no longer carries the threat of a jail sentence, the pungent odor of ganja is increasingly infiltrating daily life -- and annoying nonsmokers. "It used to be kind of neat smelling pot occasionally on a weekend, but now Toronto smells like weed all the time," complains writer Liza Herz, who says she supports legalization.

Like cigarette smokers, marijuana smokers get used to the smell and don't notice how loathsome it can be to those who don't share their habits. Unlike cigarette smokers, however, pot smokers haven't yet developed strong norms about not bothering the neighbors.

"The worst is that new neighbors in the house behind me smoke all the time, and it wafts into my yard and bedroom like a frightened skunk," says Jessica Lee, a financial professional in Washington, D.C. who says she "used to be for legalization" but changed her mind after seeing so many young people smoking. Once the threat of police sanctions disappears, many people feel free to light up without considering the spillover effects.

"The smell makes my stomach churn a little, so I even hold my breath when I have to walk by a dispensary," says Joe Inglish, a software engineer in Portland, Oregon who describes himself as "decidedly pro-legalization." His state supposedly bans public smoking, but observes fellow resident Nancy Rommelmann, "Portland reeks."

If the marijuana-legalization movement faces an effective backlash, it's likely to come from smoke-averse citizens rather than traditional drug warriors. "I don't care at all what one does in their private space, but when it invades and endangers my health and the health of others -- bad, bad, bad!" says Manhattan makeup artist Maria Verel. She complains that the many construction workers in her neighborhood smoke so much pot on their lunch breaks that "it's like walking through an opium den."

Those workers could still be arrested under the state's law against publicly displaying or smoking pot, which is subject to decidedly selective enforcement. Pointing to the law's disparate racial effects, the New York Times recently opined against it. "The state missed an opportunity to fix this problem five years ago when a bill that would have made public display of marijuana an offense similar to a traffic violation -- rather than a crime -- died in the Legislature," the editors argued.

The law is intrusive and unjust, but maybe the reason it's still on the books is that New Yorkers who don't smoke marijuana don't want to live with the fumes. "In New York City, after all, you can't legally smoke a tobacco cigarette in a bar, a restaurant, a movie theater, a subway train or platform, a public park, or on a beach," wrote Ira Stoll in response to the Times. "Maybe people don't want other people smoking marijuana everywhere, either."

Threatening criminal prosecution, which can ruin someone's life, is a terrible substitute for establishing norms of politeness. But nonsmokers make up the majority of voters, and politicians listen to them. If marijuana fans want to keep their drug of choice legal, and extend that legality to new locales, they need to adopt more considerate consumption methods -- vaping, gummies and brownies come to mind -- or at least keep in mind that smoke has to go somewhere, and not everyone enjoys the aroma.

University_of_Colorado_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Smokers Should Be More Considerate - Bloomberg
Author: Virginia Postrel
Photo Credit: Getty Images

Heh, snowflake, get a life!!! You should be happy you smell weed. It might save someones life or at least make them happy!

I love the smell of low-latitude sativa because it's so very pleasant, but skunk varieties stink most of the time and they're a lesser hit than a good sativa.

I thought that people would drift towards the finer sativa after legalisation...

I've never liked the pungency of Afghani Indica smell at any time, but I'd smoke it if there was nothing else.

I love the smell of good weed. Smells like freedom.

This is your typicall PC NIMBY likes to complain but doesn't offer solutions or contribute anything beyond "smoke has to go somewhere..." Implying that because she's inconvenienced people should bend over backwards to align with her special little world. Why should people have to adapt their consumption method to avoid offending you? Maybe I don't like vaping, maybe edibles make me feel weird. The point I'm trying to make is consumption is a deeply personal choice. If you're offended by the results, deal with it on your end, I hear air fresheners and filters work wonders.

You guys responding sound like such arrogant conceited douchebags. We here on a weed forum may like the smell of weed but not everyone does. Smoke is smoke. I personally used to smoke cigarettes but now can't stand the smell of them. I don't want to be walking past bunches of people smoking cigarettes, and people who don't smoke weed should have the same considerations.

My solution to this would be set up smoking areas around the place that have carbon filters installed to deal with the smell. So if you're out and about just pop into one of these smoking areas, smoke your fix, then go off wandering again. Problem solved for everyone involved.

I'm all for legalizing weed, but I understand other peoples perspective on not wanting to smell it everywhere they go. So for you weed smokers if you want it to become more accepted in society then don't be douchebags and tell non-smokers that they are 'snowflakes' or 'PC NIMBY' and they should just suck it up and wear an air freshener around their neck.

You guys responding sound like such arrogant conceited douchebags. We here on a weed forum may like the smell of weed but not everyone does. Smoke is smoke. I personally used to smoke cigarettes but now can't stand the smell of them. I don't want to be walking past bunches of people smoking cigarettes, and people who don't smoke weed should have the same considerations.

My solution to this would be set up smoking areas around the place that have carbon filters installed to deal with the smell. So if you're out and about just pop into one of these smoking areas, smoke your fix, then go off wandering again. Problem solved for everyone involved.

I'm all for legalizing weed, but I understand other peoples perspective on not wanting to smell it everywhere they go. So for you weed smokers if you want it to become more accepted in society then don't be douchebags and tell non-smokers that they are 'snowflakes' or 'PC NIMBY' and they should just suck it up and wear an air freshener around their neck.

You're actually right. I do care what somebody else thinks about my smoking cannabis. That person is my girlfriend who's house I reside in. Since she doesn't want it in her house, not that she minds me smoking as it's medicinal, I do all my medicating in the garage with the door up. Everybody else who has a problem with it is honestly not my concern.

I do care what somebody else thinks about my smoking cannabis. That person is my girlfriend who's house I reside in. Since she doesn't want it in her house, not that she minds me smoking as it's medicinal, I do all my medicating in the garage with the door up. Everybody else who has a problem with it is honestly not my concern.

That reads a little harsh, lol.

But, personally... I don't mind not smoking (cannabis or cigarettes) in an enclosed public space, because I can go somewhere else (preferably outside). But if I'm outside, yeah, I'd get a little annoyed, too, I suppose. If I'm walking down the sidewalk smoking a cigarette, I'll refrain from blowing smoke at other people, even hold the thing on the other side of my body from them. But I'm not going to put it out, FFS. Take a deep breath and hold it for the next three steps, then we'll have walked past each other. I know you saw the cigarette in plenty of time to do that because you started making those quiet little 72-pound 87-year old woman <cough> <cough> noises because you want to be a <BLEEP> about it but don't have the... (IDK, pick your own word...) to say something.

If I'm stationary, I try to use a little common sense, IOW stay the f*ck downwind of a neighbor's open window. But that's just ordinary human courtesy, like how when my next door neighbor's kids all show up to watch some sporting event or other on television, I don't fire up my lawn mower just because it's during the time of day that I legally can.

I have to put up with women (and a surprising number of men) passing me on the sidewalk - and, yes, they bring their stink indoors and, wouldn't you know it, those @ssholes don't get tickets for that :icon_roll - who come out of the shower each morning and take another shower in perfume/cologne (or, worse, think that half bottle of fragrance covers up the stink they're naturally exuding because they skipped the shower). This kind of thing has annoyed ME for over 40 years now, but I haven't gone all militant about it. I suppose I could, since I spent a portion of my life letting the inner @sshole run free, lol, and built up quite a mental book of things I could whip out just to p!ss someone off. And, hey, most of those aren't illegal, either. So don't come to my town and expect me to stop smoking in the absolutely HUGE... outdoors. I mean, come one, lol, the chemical plants have been poisoning me pretty much all my life, and the government is happy to have them continue. I need to inhale through a filter just to breathe :rolleyes3 . Might as well choose one that provides a little nicotine and menthol...

Be an interesting subject for a poll, I suppose.

That reads a little harsh, lol.

But, personally... I don't mind not smoking (cannabis or cigarettes) in an enclosed public space, because I can go somewhere else (preferably outside). But if I'm outside, yeah, I'd get a little annoyed, too, I suppose. If I'm walking down the sidewalk smoking a cigarette, I'll refrain from blowing smoke at other people, even hold the thing on the other side of my body from them. But I'm not going to put it out, FFS. Take a deep breath and hold it for the next three steps, then we'll have walked past each other. I know you saw the cigarette in plenty of time to do that because you started making those quiet little 72-pound 87-year old woman <cough> <cough> noises because you want to be a <BLEEP> about it but don't have the... (IDK, pick your own word...) to say something.

If I'm stationary, I try to use a little common sense, IOW stay the f*ck downwind of a neighbor's open window. But that's just ordinary human courtesy, like how when my next door neighbor's kids all show up to watch some sporting event or other on television, I don't fire up my lawn mower just because it's during the time of day that I legally can.

I have to put up with women (and a surprising number of men) passing me on the sidewalk - and, yes, they bring their stink indoors and, wouldn't you know it, those @ssholes don't get tickets for that :icon_roll - who come out of the shower each morning and take another shower in perfume/cologne (or, worse, think that half bottle of fragrance covers up the stink they're naturally exuding because they skipped the shower). This kind of thing has annoyed ME for over 40 years now, but I haven't gone all militant about it. I suppose I could, since I spent a portion of my life letting the inner @sshole run free, lol, and built up quite a mental book of things I could whip out just to p!ss someone off. And, hey, most of those aren't illegal, either. So don't come to my town and expect me to stop smoking in the absolutely HUGE... outdoors. I mean, come one, lol, the chemical plants have been poisoning me pretty much all my life, and the government is happy to have them continue. I need to inhale through a filter just to breathe :rolleyes3 . Might as well choose one that provides a little nicotine and menthol...

Be an interesting subject for a poll, I suppose.

I completely agree that as weed becomes more accepted more people will stroll down the street having a smoke, much like it's been for years with cigarettes. When I smoked I was like you and tried to be a little more considerate; held the smoke furthest away from people, waited till I passed someone to breath out smoke, even cross the road sometimes. As it gets more socially accepted you'll encounter more people smoking weed and the smell of it. The issue isn't a few smokers you pass, or a few who smell like they bathed in perfume so long they went all pruney, most of the time you encounter a potentially obnoxious smell within a few seconds you're passed it. My issue (and I think the issue for the writer of the article) isn't with some people smoking, my issue is when lots of people smoke so that's all you can smell in the whole area. If you wanna smoke in a smoking area like at a pub/bar then enjoy, but outside shouldn't smell like the inside of a pub, you know what I'm saying? Be considerate of other people and act with a little common decency.

I'm sorry you're so upset. Please send me a carbon filter for my stinky weed so I can be more accepted in society.
WHAT!

You know, I do get it. I smelled some strains a good 60-70 feet away from someone lighting up ( I have a sharp nose) and I do get that smell can be annoying. However, this article is doing the typical anti-cigarettes BS by bringing health into it which only serves to delegitimize the complaint of the smell which could have been rectified simply by advocating the push for less offensive smelling cannabis. But bring health into it and completely delegitimizes The entire article as it's been proven cannabis does not have any negative impact on the human body, quite the opposite in fact.

Frankly, this article reminds me of an episode of South Park where Cartman gets involved in an anti-smoking group because he loves the fact that they whine and complain to get their way only to find out that they plan on killing him to make it look like cigarettes did it. Considering that this article somewhat laments the repeal of strict laws against the use, this analogy isn't that far off.

Me personally I do make a point of being considerate around others when smoking. If I'm indoors, and essential oil diffuser in a blend called purification to get rid of the smell pretty damn quick and when I'm outdoors I smoke on my property or in the woods if I'm hiking to minimize the smell from consintratintvin one spot but frankly non smokers need to also be considerate by politely asking smokers to take steps and tolerate some smell rather than complain and, frankly lie, to try and get their way.

Heh, snowflake, get a life!!! You should be happy you smell weed. It might save someones life or at least make them happy!

Agreed! How does she feel about passed out drunks, drunks peeing in public, drunks throwing up all over the place, etc?
Oh for the simpler days when the buzz of our fathers, Sacred Alcohol, was the only God fearing, decent folk, method of imbibing.

Back
Top Bottom