Small Grow Box Lighting

The1337Hippie

I'm a first time grower (or about to be, at least) and I could use some help choosing the right grow light.

I'm building a rather small grow box from scratch, and it's only going to house 2-3 plants (short strains -i'm thinking Black Sugar?) Anyway, I was wondering what light to go with? Do i need a 400W HID, or could i go with just a 150W CFL ?

Ideas are more than welcome!

:thanks:

Rule of thumb is...

50w per square foot of growing area as standard & 65 watt per square foot optimal growing conditions.

A 250w hps at 12 inch above plant growing tip will cover 2' by 2' easy with an average of 62.6 watts per square foot.

A 400w hps at 18 inch above plant growing tip will cover 3' by 3' area with an average of 44.4w per square foot.

A 600w hps at 24 inch above plant growing tip will cover a 4' by 4' area with an average of 37.5w per square foot.

Larger lights can be used in small ares tho to increase watt per square foot but ample cooling systems fans/air cool fans/internal/external venting must be considored to vent excissive heat generated.

Hanging height of bulb above plant top is an average & is considored safe distance to prevent heat strees/light burn to plants even tho air cooled reflectors can be hung closer to the plant due to adittional cooling.

A total height of growing area of aprox 160cms to 200 cms should be fine & allow for any stretch in growth which may take place its better to be safe than having to deal with a much larger plant than expected, tho measures can be taken to stunt plant growth/ growing styles if height is an issue.

Back
Top Bottom