Small personal grow advice needed

irregardless

I have a good sense of the direction I'm headed but still quite a few things in the air that I could use your help on.

First off, this will be a 4x4 (open to suggestions on size)tent in my basement. I haven't yet measured temperature and humidity but I'm prepared to control both. To give you some sense of my outdoor climate, its typically 30s(F) and dry in the winter and mid 80s(F) in the summer.

I'm fairly certain I will be going soil. Most likely in fabric 7+ gallons (final). I've done a DIY rDWC in a previous life and I think I want to keep it more simple this time.

I like variety and ideally would have 4 plants/4 strains. Again open to suggestions here.

I'm also fairly certain I want to use a SCROG method. I'm somewhat concerned though about ease of watering, pruning, and draining run-off when they are packed in there during bloom.

Last and driving me the most crazy. Lights. I'm really drawn to LED primarily because of electricity costs. It's clear in the little research I've done, that not all LEDs are created equal. Budget will be a factor. Let's say below $1000 usd to get "broad spectrum" of perspectives on this. Would love to know what you all use. While I'm not so much fixated on pure yield, I am a big fan of efficiency. I'm also wondering 1 square light or 2 rectangular lights. And lastly, LEDs are known to produce less heat as compared to HID. In most cases that's good, but will I have an issue in the winter, being in a cold basement.

Much thanks for reading and commenting. Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts.

I have a 36x42 running 2 quantum boards in my unheated basement. As of right now I have a space heater set for 78 to 83 in the grow room.

These Quantum was run so cool that I needed supplemental heat, and I also need a little more heat during the grow because they don't transpire as well due to the lights being so cool. A lot of guys are running their rooms at anywhere between 78 and 85 degrees.

Personally, and I may be wrong, I think Quantum boards would be ideal for you if your summer temps are going to be 85 Degrees. Cuz if you can hold your tent at 85 and not get much higher than that then you won't need any supplemental Cooling.

I have two 304 s running on a driver that could run four of them.

I would go Quantum boards, my plan is to add 2 more QBs and som Cob Lighting in and see if that won't bring my heat levels up when I need them. If that doesn't work I may jump to a single 250w HPS just for winter time and run it in conjunction with the quantums. But that's only if adding a cob array doesn't help.

I have a 36x42 running 2 quantum boards in my unheated basement. As of right now I have a space heater set for 78 to 83 in the grow room.

These Quantum was run so cool that I needed supplemental heat, and I also need a little more heat during the grow because they don't transpire as well due to the lights being so cool. A lot of guys are running their rooms at anywhere between 78 and 85 degrees.

Personally, and I may be wrong, I think Quantum boards would be ideal for you if your summer temps are going to be 85 Degrees. Cuz if you can hold your tent at 85 and not get much higher than that then you won't need any supplemental Cooling.

I have two 304 s running on a driver that could run four of them.

I would go Quantum boards, my plan is to add 2 more QBs and som Cob Lighting in and see if that won't bring my heat levels up when I need them. If that doesn't work I may jump to a single 250w HPS just for winter time and run it in conjunction with the quantums. But that's only if adding a cob array doesn't help.

Thanks PopeyeSpinach. I guess I need to start researching quantum. Sounds like that's where the LED conversation is headed.

Yeh I think my issue is going to be keeping the tent "warm" being in a basement. I've read the Gorilla tents are thick which might help insulate.

Thanks again for dropping by and sharing.

As far as LEDs go they are the apex, im sure its hurting alot of other vendor sales because....well i mean if i could get a new Tesla for 45,000 or a hybrid for 40,000 im gonna spend the extra on a Tesla....

You cant go wrong with the Quantum boards in my opinion.
They're priced right and those Samsung diodes are just killer.
As far as heat goes, I have 2 QB 288s in my 3X3 tent and I keep the window of the room opened a crack.
It's minus 15C outside. The tent stays at 82 F with lights on and 71 when lights are off

I see guys using the 120s for veg/flower now. I haven't look too deeply into it because I don't really need to, but that may be something for you to do some research on.

I was referring to guys using the 120 boards, also called the HLG 65 if you get it in kit form. You can get a bigger driver and wire them together.

Lets put it this way, i run my 304s at about 60 watts each and much more than that will taco my leaves.

The 120 has 120 diodes vs my 304 diodes, but its running at 65 watts.

So my 304s are at 60w÷304 diodes
=0.1973684211 per diode

A 120 is 65w÷120 diodes
=0.5416666667 per diode

So less diodes spread out over a greater area, and its my understanding they run so cool they dont even need heatsinks.

Check out the forums over at :rollit:, when it comes to QBs thats the go to site.

I have a good sense of the direction I’m headed but still quite a few things in the air that I could use your help on.

Last and driving me the most crazy. Lights. I’m really drawn to LED primarily because of electricity costs. It’s clear in the little research I’ve done, that not all LEDs are created equal. Budget will be a factor. Let’s say below $1000 usd to get “broad spectrum” of perspectives on this. Would love to know what you all use. While I’m not so much fixated on pure yield, I am a big fan of efficiency. I’m also wondering 1 square light or 2 rectangular lights. And lastly, LEDs are known to produce less heat as compared to HID. In most cases that’s good, but will I have an issue in the winter, being in a cold basement.

Much thanks for reading and commenting. Can’t wait to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Something to consider with your lights is the footprint size of the light - the area under the light that provides the best quality of light for plant growth. That will determine how many lights you will need, based on how big you make the grow area. Should be part of the light specs.

Allowing 2 x 2 per plant, with 1 light per plant is not a bad setup.

I personally run a 3x3 with at least 9 lady's in sea of green method. I'm getting around 3-4 oz per plant. I run 1 600w viparspectra, and 1 600w bloomspect led. I'm loving the coverage and I can run them a little higher without the risk of burning tops. but's still 600 true watts from the wall. But still much easier to deal with than even a 400w hid in a 4x4 and the LEDs just give a much better quality end product.

Thanks all. Now on to the next item. Tent size and how many plants.

I was thinking 4x4 with 4 plants. Totally open to ideas. Would consider a 5x5 if it makes more sense. I've seen 9 pots in a 5x5 which seems fun.

First, I use two viperspecrra 450s LEDs in my 4x4. I couldn't afford the quantum boards right now. However I love my LEDs. I would not recommend more than 4 plants in a 4x4. I had 5 in mine and it was a nightmare getting them all to fit. I think 4 would be fine. I think QBs are the best lighting you can get, but they are expensive.

Shorter veg time Happy. I normally veg about 6 weeks and keep them in 16oz cups until a week before I move them to flower. Then into the 3gal square pots. I also run Coco so I can get away with a much smaller container longer.

I appreciate you are being methodical, but maybe back up a bit. How much do you smoke and are you planning on selling/giving away any of your crop? Do you plan on continuously growing, multiple grows in a year, once a year?

You can grow a lot of pot in a 4x4 tent. Do you want/need a tent that size as it also tends to determine everything else.

I appreciate you are being methodical, but maybe back up a bit. How much do you smoke and are you planning on selling/giving away any of your crop? Do you plan on continuously growing, multiple grows in a year, once a year?

You can grow a lot of pot in a 4x4 tent. Do you want/need a tent that size as it also tends to determine everything else.

Good point. This is totally for myself. I would say at most I would ever need in a month is an ounce. It would be nice to have some extra flower on hand to play with concentrates as well. And I'm sure I can find some friends to accept donations as well. Its mostly about the process for me.

I have plenty of space in the basement for any size tent or multiple tents. As you pointed out, i certainly don't need a full blown operation. 4x4 seemed like a standard place to start. Not opposed to a SOG vs a SCROG either.

My ultimate goal is to produce the best overall quality product for myself and maybe a select few friends. That being said, I know I will be disappointed if yield is dramatically affected.

Back
Top Bottom