Smokeout To Be Closely Watched

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The revival of Cypress Hill's Smokeout festival has law enforcement on alert and has raised the profile of the event for proponents and opponents of the marijuana culture.

The Friday and Saturday event will feature artists including Slipknot, Deftones, Sublime, Pennywise and Cheech & Chong at San Manuel Amphitheater in Devore.

"We'll have quite a presence," said Lt. Rick Ells of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

Chang Weisberg of Guerilla Union, the festival's promoter, said 30,000 people are expected to attend over the two days.

"This festival is curated by Cypress Hill -- there's no question that it promotes marijuana," Weisberg said..

Smokeout is returning for the first time since 2003, and Cypress Hill member B-Real said he hoped to make the concert an annual event again.

The Smokeout started in 1998 in San Bernardino and has been held at the National Orange Show in San Bernardino and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, as well as its Devore site.

In 2000, some businesses near the National Orange Show complained of graffiti and vandalism. Weisberg said the events haven't had any problems in the years since.

Ells said officers at the Smokeout will enforce laws on marijuana possession and distribution. He said officers are always present at concerts at San Manuel Amphitheater, which is owned by the county.

It is illegal to operate a vehicle while under the influence of the drug. Ells said Highway Patrol officers will be working throughout the weekend on any traffic issues that arise.

The festival will also include a cannabis expo, featuring products incorporating hemp, such as soap and cosmetics, and medical marijuana information, legal education and a film festival.

The event's audience has drawn supporters and critics.

"I think it's an enormous opportunity," said Ryan Michaels, director of Yes We Cannabis, who will be working at the Marijuana Policy Project booth.

He said while there is often a chance to deconstruct stereotypes from opponents, a festival like this is a way to break through misinformation and misunderstanding.

But not everyone in the region is happy about the all-ages festival.

"It sends the wrong message to kids and the community," said Paul Chabot, founder of the Coalition for Drug-Free California, which has the Inland Valley Drug Free Community Coalition among its initiatives.

Chabot said the coalition would like to see an event like Smokeout move to another area of the state, such as San Francisco.

Weisberg, a parent, said he understands the concern.

He said the concert markets to a niche lifestyle. He said the demographics for the show skew toward adults 18 and older.

"We're not selling weed to underage kids," he said.

County spokesman David Wert said Live Nation, which leases and operates the venue, doesn't have to notify the county of what concerts it books.

Wert said the county is sensitive to the concerns of the community and doesn't condone the message. The use of drugs will not be any more tolerated at Smokeout than at any other event, he added.

Wert said the event was "espousing a political viewpoint" and noted that it did not have problems when Smokeout was held at the venue in the past.

"Marijuana use occurs, unfortunately, at pretty much every type of concert," Wert said.

CYPRESS HILL'S SMOKEOUT

When: 12:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday

Where: San Manuel Amphitheater, 2575 Glen Helen Parkway, Devore

Information: 909-880-6500

Admission: $29.50-$75, available through Live Nation

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: pe.com
Author: VANESSA FRANKO
Copyright: 2009 Press-Enterprise Company

Wish I could go to the Smokout but luckily I will be seeing Cypress Hill on Halloween!! I'm sure it'll be a smokeout there.

For me , I care for the smokeout, when smoking confined within a boundary, the enviroment of the community will turn to be orderly subsequently.

Back
Top Bottom