soil/hydro help. Curious? thanks for any help

jawon

:welcome:

So I've been experimenting a but lately with the idea of growing in soil but when the roots show at the bottom sitting the pot in a container of water.

See the idea is, to keep the plant in the same pot And give its roots room to grow.

Does anyone have experience with this or any knowledge at all of this working.

Re: soil/hydro help. Curious???? thanks for any help ^o^

Unless you can keep the soiless mix out of the water ie only the roots actually make contact with the H2o, it wont work. The soiless mix staying saturated will keep the plant over watered.

Thought about that as well. I have two aquarium pumps from an old aquarium I had both going into the container where the small amount of water would be and rock stones.
I orignially wanted to do hydro but was planning on moving so decided soil since it would be easier to move around.

No the the soil won't touch the water just the roots. Its actual soil.
Its a mix of dirt from my yard, perlite, peat moss .

I have zero experience with actual dirt lol, just soiless. If you're trying to give the root zone more oxygen you may want to look in to smart pots. They are porous all the way around and supposedly help with air flow in the root zone.

Without oxygen being pumped into the water the roots will die.

Hey Lab,

Thats not totally true, if the main root system is in soil, once the roots leave the pot and swim around in the moister/water below they will continue to grow. Now it is a matter of how much extra water that is in the second half of this pot or how he sets it up.

:welcome:

So I've been experimenting a but lately with the idea of growing in soil but when the roots show at the bottom sitting the pot in a container of water.

See the idea is, to keep the plant in the same pot And give its roots room to grow.

Does anyone have experience with this or any knowledge at all of this working.

Ive done this before, alot of growers have already experimented with this type of growing. Its effective with or with out a air pump. Ive tried it with only a once or two of water in the lower half of the pot i made. To keep oxygen in that pot I aerated regular water and I also used carbonated water. Just make sure if you use carbonated water that your soil PH is at a range of 6.0 or slightly more because carbonated water is a PH of 1. Its very acidic.

Hey WizHigh, roots that do not get oxygen die. It is why DWC growers add a pump and air stone to their containers.

Unless there is something I am missing here, I believe I am correct. Other wise could you enlighten me with a link to your experiment. It says in your post you added aerated water, and carbonated water which contains CO2, roots need oxygen not CO2 to my knowledge. Your response to my post is very confusing.

Do you know if there is a name to this method

Theres no name for this method. Most growers just got the idea because of roots growing underneath the pot into the catch dish if moister or small amounts of water was left in there. The roots continued to grow and was white.

When I first started out, I had a 8.5oz cup and poked holes in the bottom. Then I sat that inside of another 8.5oz cup as my catch dish for run off. I was a noob at this point. So i never checked for run off in the second cup. When I went to go transplant into a pot, there were huge white roots swimming around in that second cup to the point I had to cut open the cup to get the plant out. So pretty much this is were alot of us got the idea to do a double pot. Soil/coco on top and hydro on bottom. :Namaste:

Hey WizHigh, roots that do not get oxygen die. It is why DWC growers add a pump and air stone to their containers.

Unless there is something I am missing here, I believe I am correct. Other wise could you enlighten me with a link to your experiment. It says in your post you added aerated water, and carbonated water which contains CO2, roots need oxygen not CO2 to my knowledge. Your response to my post is very confusing.

Hey Lab,

Co2 is made up of what compounds? ( Carbon-dioxide + oxygen=co2 ) and i also stated it depends on the body of water that he is trying to use for a secondary means of feeding. If the plant is drinking alot of water he could keep more than 8oz of water or less in his second pot, and add as the second pot fills up with roots. The humidity will encourage the roots to really take over that second pot.

Same thing happens when run off is left in the catch dish. Once the roots start to come out of the roots into the catch dish those roots continue to grow even underneath the pot. As long as there is a healthy root system roots will continue to grow.

an addition to your co2 and roots, many growers on here awhile ago experimented with co2 in the root zone which was administered by watering with carbonated water. There are many forums on this site that you can look into. :Namaste:

Thank you guys. I'm in my third (technically 6th grow)
I 5 sprouts 2 plants on their 3-5node all bag seeds and a red purp sprout right now.

And their roots were showing through the cups so at first I wanted to make like a semi hydro setup underneath for the roots but still keep soil as the main medium and to also keep it in the same pot so little transplanting is needed.

Back
Top Bottom